PJ Fleck on Sports Huddle 7-30-17

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Mark Coyle was on Huddle at 10:25. didn't catch whole thing. some highlights:
Coyle - over 1200 new FB season tickets sold. working with students. trying to earn people back. do things the right way.
(side of field) everything we do is sensitive. make best long-term decision.
(buzz about basketball program) thankful for how coach Pitino responded. program took ownership. exciting to see student-athletes coming into program.
(lynx) excited to have Lynx in Williams.
(duties) spend lot of time on fund-raising. help students and coaches get ready for fall.
(diversity) we can do a better job.

Fleck Interview: ---- Shorty's note: I was doing this at work. had some computer issues, and missed parts of some questions and answers. Sad to say, but my home computer is much better than my work computer. did best I could while also trying to keep station on air and run Church programs.

Sid: nice story on family
PJF: haven't read it yet. Heather liked it.

Sid: media situation in chicago
PJF: honored to be there representing State of MN. start to see how big event it is.

Sid: what did you Learn about other B1G Coaches?
PJF: everybody accepting of new guys. lot of healthy rivalry. class acts. incredible people.

Sid: when will you name a starting QB?
PJF: hope to choose a starter within first few weeks of camp. We'll make that choice when we're ready to choose.

Sid: Practice schedule?
PJF: we start Practice on Tuesday. really excited. players tired of off-season.

Sid: update on injured players?
PJF: 98% are ready to go. there are a few who can't have contact for a few days. our trainer (missed name) is doing a great job.

Sid: had praise for Winfield in Chicago?
PJF: he's one of the top athletes on team. one of smarter guys we have. wonderful leader. we'll use all over field. goal is to get best 11 players on field that work together.

Sid: what about Bama transfer?
PJF: will be here Mon or Tues.

Sid: will there be open practices?
PJF: the SID and I will go through that on Mon. Schedule will be subject to change, but we will have open practices. hope to see fans out there.

Mona: what about OL recruits? what do you look for (size)?
PJF: have to have a philosophy. look for tackles that are longer and more athletic. inside guys need to be strong, good feet. smart, so they can adapt to different looks. (for tackles) long, lanky 245 pound guys that are 6-8 - the ones you want on outside.

Max: Smith and Brooks importance to team?
PJF: the best friend to an inexperienced QB is an experienced RB. proud of progress they've made.

sid: are you Looking for QB who can scramble?
PJF: need ability to get out of trouble, but other aspects probably more important. need to be accurate - good decision maker. need to be good enough of an athlete to run read option. (note - missed part of this answer - something about athleticism not most important quality for QB).

Sid: QB has freedom to Audible?
PJF: depends on how much they can handle. Up to the Offensive Coordinator. generally will have 2-3 options at times.

Max: what would you have done If you had Coached Sid? (ha, ha - so funny.........)
PJF: Turn him loose. let the passion go. got to be fundamentally sound.

(missed question - Fleck went into discussion of coaching restrictions...)
PJF: new rules (on sideline conduct). can't get out of coaches box. can't be out on field. makes it tougher to talk to officials.

Sid: when do you put in game plans?
PJF: we're still evaluating players. (missed part of answer........)

Sid: give us a scouting report on 1st two opponents.
PJF: I'm not going to talk about 1st two opponents. we've got to come together as a team first. facing a real challenge in training camp.

Sid: when will you scrimmage (in training camp)?
PJF: our first true scrimmage should be 2 Saturdays after we start.

Mona: what about the haircut?
PJF: I lost a bet to Heather. that's what she wanted.

Sid: Dave St. peter impressed with your talk to Twins employees.
PJF: I look forward to connecting with all the major sports teams. Vikes, Wolves, Wild, Lynx. that's why I came to a city like this. We have a chance to work together.

Sid: murray's certificate.
PJF: RTB. ski-u-mah

Is there a practice schedule that's available to the public yet? Would like to get on campus for a few of them...

Thanks SON.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! I figure Sid will ask the starting QB question every time...

SON...Thanks from an out of towner who doesn't get to listen to the local programs. Also, impressed that you were at work on a Sunday and could multi task to do this report.

Arizona White Mountains extend a wow factor Thank You.

SON...Thanks from an out of towner who doesn't get to listen to the local programs. Also, impressed that you were at work on a Sunday and could multi task to do this report.

Sunday morning on small-market radio basically comes down to: start 30-minute religious program. do something else. start 1-hour church service. do something else. I missed some of the Coyle interview because I was getting the Lutheran church service on the air. don't want to mess with the Lutherans.

Sunday morning on small-market radio basically comes down to: start 30-minute religious program. do something else. start 1-hour church service. do something else. I missed some of the Coyle interview because I was getting the Lutheran church service on the air. don't want to mess with the Lutherans.

You could have thrown in a few hymns or confession of sins in your recap at least. ;)

SON - I remember those days well! (Dating myself) If you needed or wanted a break, we would often put on the turntable a long playing song - there were many to choose from.

BTW, you're doing a great job - as I knew you would - with your recaps!

Go Gophers!!

Extending a heart-felt thanks from Bali, Indonesia! Gophers all around the world come together for SON's Sports Huddle recap.

The starting qb question has replaced the Wayzata players question.

It's obvious the Starkey hearing aid has failed as badly as their management has failed.

Extending a heart-felt thanks from Bali, Indonesia! Gophers all around the world come together for SON's Sports Huddle recap.

+1 though not from Bali, just MN.

Back to unasked unanswered question, When does Fall Practice Begin? When will a schedule come out?

Back to unasked unanswered question, When does Fall Practice Begin? When will a schedule come out?

Monday the 31st is media day, and practice starts Tuesday, Aug 1st. In the interview, Fleck said that he and the sports information director were meeting on Monday to determine what practices would be open to the public. If they have released a practice schedule, I'm not aware of it. Tried looking on the official team website, and couldn't find anything.

The starting qb question has replaced the Wayzata players question.

It's obvious the Starkey hearing aid has failed as badly as their management has failed.

The Cashman scholarship question is in that mix somewhere as well...

(diversity) we can do a better job.

Always fun to be asked about diversity when you've just been hired and your a white guy. What's he supposed to say, "yeah, we held a meeting with Fleck , Pitino, Lucia, myself, and president Kaler and had a long discussion about who should get the axe so we can diversify. Couldn't agree on who definitively but I am putting feelers out there for a minority hockey coach."

Finally had a chance to see the recap. Very nice!!

Monday the 31st is media day, and practice starts Tuesday, Aug 1st. In the interview, Fleck said that he and the sports information director were meeting on Monday to determine what practices would be open to the public. If they have released a practice schedule, I'm not aware of it. Tried looking on the official team website, and couldn't find anything.

Its 7/31 and no word, other than dates open to the public.

Top Bottom