Big Sunday STrib profile: At home with P.J. Fleck, where family life is just as fast

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe:

Fleck doesn’t cite a win total when listing his dreams for the 2017 season. He said some fans might think: “ ‘We hired a new football coach, we should win 10 games. They won nine last year. It should be simple, right?’ ”

“That is not the case,” he said. “We’re not here to change tradition, we’re just here to bring a different culture. But when you change a culture, that takes a long time.”

Fleck noted he is the Gophers’ third coach in three seasons, following Jerry Kill and Claeys, and the sixth since 2006, going back to Tim Brewster, Glen Mason and even interim coach Jeff Horton.

“I mean, Iowa’s had two coaches, one culture in 40 years,” Fleck said. “Cultural sustainability is what develops championships.”

Recruiting holds the key, of course. The Gophers got off to a fast start for the Class of 2018, ranking in the top 10 nationally into April, and are pushing to finish in the top 25.

“That first year [at Western Michigan], we won in recruiting, and we played 17 or 18 freshmen that year. Those were the same guys that went to the Cotton Bowl as upperclassmen.

“And that’s what we’re doing here. We’re developing the players that we have. And then we’re going to add the ’18 and ’19 class, and those guys are going to be the ones who lead us into the future, to the new era of Gopher football.”

http://www.startribune.com/at-home-...st-as-fast-and-furious-as-football/437395073/

Go Gophers!!

"Change a culture" Let the arguing reconvene.

Actually, at a time when every sports segment on the news starts in Mankato giving you major news like an offensive tackle didn't practice, it's nice for the Gophers to be featured in the Star-Trib.

In case you haven't read the story yet, the main focus is on Fleck's family life with his children. A little bit about football, but more about the personal stuff.

One thing I noted. It sounds like all of the adults involved (Fleck, ex-wife, Heather, ex-husband) are working together to put the best interests of the children 1st. That can be tricky in some of these divided families. It has to be different growing up and getting shuttled back-and-forth between two families.

(but - being of a suspicious nature, when the new wife claims that she is "good friends" with the ex-wife, I always wonder a little bit about that. In my experience, the new and the ex wife are more likely to be on the outs.)

Top Bottom