Gophers land Florida transfer CB Chris Williamson, Nolan Edmonds re-commits and more!

DanielHouse

Reaction score
The Gophers have landed Florida Gators transfer cornerback Chris Williamson. The junior defensive back will be required to sit out this season and is eligible for 2018. The 5-foot-11, 191-pound cornerback played in nine games (one start) during 2016, totaling five tackles for the Gators. According to 24/7 Sports, Williamson was a three-star recruit coming out of high school.

Williamson is an impressive athlete that moves with fluidity in space. He sinks his hips and rotates to keep the wide receiver on his hip. In addition, he has the ball skills to track and haul in interceptions at the catch point. Williamson has a second gear and plays very quick laterally. His footwork is light and it allows him to force pass catchers to the boundary. Williamson's speed provides him with the ability to react instinctively in situations where receivers get a small cushion. He also had experience returning kicks in high school.

In addition, running back Nolan Edmonds has joined the Gophers after de-commiting on June 23. Edmonds is a strong downhill runner with power and vision. He is extremely elusive and will create a high volume of yards after contact. He joins Florida running back Bryce Williams in the 2018 recruiting class.

The team also received a commitment from Dallas, TX offensive tackle Jack York. The 6-foot-5, 270-pound offensive lineman chose the Gophers over offers from Harvard, San Diego State, and Southern Mississippi. York was previously committed to San Diego State, but flipped to Minnesota.

York wins with a strong base and has great footwork coming out of his stance. He finishes to the whistle, mauling defenders on a consistent basis. He wins the leverage battle by getting inside hand position and using his lower body strength to stay engaged. York has a tendency to play tall, but it isn't a frequent occurrence. His most impressive attribute is his ability to move well up the field with his size. York can change direction quickly with speed rushers when he keeps his feet light.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/4830471/57faa4c211fa7f2ad865517f' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

Minnesota's recruiting class currently ranks 30th nationally and seventh in the Big Ten.

What's the reason for the big day with the 3-4 commitments?

Some deadline or something going on?

Seems odd that all hit today.

These transfers hit 2017 or 18?

Gotta be '17, right? They can't play till '18, but will be on team/scholarship this year. I don't know for sure, but seems to make sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe it is called great recruiting

It's very good, maybe excellent recruiting in getting your class almost full by end of July. Let's reserve great for when we're in the top 5 of the B10 and/or have a few consensus 4*.

It's very good, maybe excellent recruiting in getting your class almost full by end of July. Let's reserve great for when we're in the top 5 of the B10 and/or have a few consensus 4*.

Mid or High very good at least?

The timing in which a class is filled really doesn't mean much to me as far as indicating its quality.

What's the reason for the big day with the 3-4 commitments?

Some deadline or something going on?

Seems odd that all hit today.

Lot's of recruiting this weekend before practice starts next week. Also some kids want to commit before their season begins.

As for the transfers, I believe the latest application date for any program, for fall term, is Aug 1st, which happens to coincide with the opening of camp. This was the last possible weekend to get a transfer into school for fall term.

Gotta like the job this staff has done so far. Will probably finish with a class ranked around 40-45 or so when it's all said and done. That would be the highest class Minnesota has had in awhile. A long ways to go to compete with the big dogs but a nice job to get some good talent on board. When the wins start to pile up and the facilities are in place the program will be much easier to sell. Excited to have players that buy into the vision this staff has.

Filling up the 2018 class early means the coaches can focus on 2019 and 2020. You want 4 and 5 star recruits, you got to have relationships, get to them early and often. Can't chase big game if you are starving, this year we eat, next year we feast!

Completely agree

Who is in and how we rank matters on National Signing Day. Being "almost full" in July doesn't mean anything. So far, it looks like a modest improvement over previous efforts. Long way to go, but given the fervor and Fleck's recruiting "ability", I am expecting better than 10th in Big Ten recruiting.

I guess the good news in July is that it appears Fleck will lead the MAC in recruiting again.

Who is in and how we rank matters on National Signing Day. Being "almost full" in July doesn't mean anything. So far, it looks like a modest improvement over previous efforts. Long way to go, but given the fervor and Fleck's recruiting "ability", I am expecting better than 10th in Big Ten recruiting.

I guess the good news in July is that it appears Fleck will lead the MAC in recruiting again.

A little harsh don't you think? Now based upon some of these kids that have lots and lots of P5 offers (not necessarily true on a couple of linemen over the last few days) I bet a few of these croots will be a 4 star. Plus he's targeting what he wants and getting early commits this is a different strategy for sure. Something could be said about seeing a kid play his senior year but this is PJFs way. I'm with you in that right now it doesn't seem like a huge bump but there are more spots to fill and some really good kids that still have us as a maybe. I think we should just see how it plays out.

Gotta like the job this staff has done so far. Will probably finish with a class ranked around 40-45 or so when it's all said and done. That would be the highest class Minnesota has had in awhile. A long ways to go to compete with the big dogs but a nice job to get some good talent on board. When the wins start to pile up and the facilities are in place the program will be much easier to sell. Excited to have players that buy into the vision this staff has.

Sounds vaguely familiar for some reason...

2016 class was ranked 46, 2009 was ranked 35.

will be interesting to see how many of these players use the early signing date to make it official.

FWIW - the early period is Dec 20-22.

Yeah let's focus on stars

The brisket and cole slaw must have been pretty good....

Filling up the 2018 class early means the coaches can focus on 2019 and 2020. You want 4 and 5 star recruits, you got to have relationships, get to them early and often. Can't chase big game if you are starving, this year we eat, next year we feast!

You can't expect elite recruiting in his first year.

A little harsh don't you think? Now based upon some of these kids that have lots and lots of P5 offers (not necessarily true on a couple of linemen over the last few days) I bet a few of these croots will be a 4 star. Plus he's targeting what he wants and getting early commits this is a different strategy for sure. Something could be said about seeing a kid play his senior year but this is PJFs way. I'm with you in that right now it doesn't seem like a huge bump but there are more spots to fill and some really good kids that still have us as a maybe. I think we should just see how it plays out.

It's July. Ask me what I think when the class is signed.

Am I impressed more kids have more P5 offers? No. If recruiting in 2017 was exactly the same as recruiting in 2013, I might be. More coaches seem to be "offering" more kids. We've seen that those "offers" may not quite be "offers". So is that a real metric? Are coaches being more free with offers? Are the kids being more savvy with listing who has offered - that might actually be an offer to offer? Not that I blame them, it certainly helps them get attention from other schools.

Am I being harsh? Perhaps. But we appear to be closing in on being "done". Nebraska has more recruiting points with ten recruits on 24/7 than we have with 22. Close that gap, I'll be impressed.

It can still happen, as the kids who have orally "committed" to us could move up in rank. Then again, a 5-7 season could get us to a whole different list as well. Which goes back to my point - until signed on the dotted line, what it looks like right now does not matter.

It's July. Ask me what I think when the class is signed.

Am I impressed more kids have more P5 offers? No. If recruiting in 2017 was exactly the same as recruiting in 2013, I might be. More coaches seem to be "offering" more kids. We've seen that those "offers" may not quite be "offers". So is that a real metric? Are coaches being more free with offers? Are the kids being more savvy with listing who has offered - that might actually be an offer to offer? Not that I blame them, it certainly helps them get attention from other schools.

Am I being harsh? Perhaps. But we appear to be closing in on being "done". Nebraska has more recruiting points with ten recruits on 24/7 than we have with 22. Close that gap, I'll be impressed.

It can still happen, as the kids who have orally "committed" to us could move up in rank. Then again, a 5-7 season could get us to a whole different list as well. Which goes back to my point - until signed on the dotted line, what it looks like right now does not matter.

You seem to be applying logic and rational thinking here. You bring up a good point on how scholarships are handed out now. Look no further than here as there are a couple hundred kids that will sign elsewhere in 2018 who's fans will be able to say "they had a B1G offer from MN".

I just posted this in another thread, but the areas where we haven't improved in recruiting in this class are O-line and LB. We have players, but most appear to be the Kill/Claeys type projects.

At LB we have 3 commits (Rush, Sori-Marin, and Aune), all lightly recruited without another power 5 offer between them. On the O-line, Austin Beier is a really nice recruit, but Norton, York and Boe had little to no P5 offers/interest and seem like a stretch. If you look at the 247 rankings, our 4 lowest rated recruits are either O-lineman or LBs and 6 of the lowest 7 fall into this category.

Overall, Fleck has made significant improvements in talent at QB, RB, WR, DL, and CB. Unfortunately it seems he might have been a little too eager to wrap up O-line and LB recruiting and settled for a few guys...

I just posted this in another thread, but the areas where we haven't improved in recruiting in this class are O-line and LB. We have players, but most appear to be the Kill/Claeys type projects.

At LB we have 3 commits (Rush, Sori-Marin, and Aune), all lightly recruited without another power 5 offer between them. On the O-line, Austin Beier is a really nice recruit, but Norton, York and Boe had little to no P5 offers/interest and seem like a stretch. If you look at the 247 rankings, our 4 lowest rated recruits are either O-lineman or LBs and 6 of the lowest 7 fall into this category.

Overall, Fleck has made significant improvements in talent at QB, RB, WR, DL, and CB. Unfortunately it seems he might have been a little too eager to wrap up O-line and LB recruiting and settled for a few guys...

Trust the experts John.

Top Bottom