Gophers land Florida transfer CB Chris Williamson, Nolan Edmonds re-commits and more!

You can't expect elite recruiting in his first year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure that is what I said...only better. You can just +1 me going forward....thanks.

I just posted this in another thread, but the areas where we haven't improved in recruiting in this class are O-line and LB. We have players, but most appear to be the Kill/Claeys type projects.

At LB we have 3 commits (Rush, Sori-Marin, and Aune), all lightly recruited without another power 5 offer between them. On the O-line, Austin Beier is a really nice recruit, but Norton, York and Boe had little to no P5 offers/interest and seem like a stretch. If you look at the 247 rankings, our 4 lowest rated recruits are either O-lineman or LBs and 6 of the lowest 7 fall into this category.

Overall, Fleck has made significant improvements in talent at QB, RB, WR, DL, and CB. Unfortunately it seems he might have been a little too eager to wrap up O-line and LB recruiting and settled for a few guys...

Agreed that LB and OL could use a bump...but...

LB commit Braelen Oliver has offers from NC State, Rutgers, Wake Forest, West Virginia, Colorado, Indiana, Iowa State per 247 and appears to be a nice addition to the LB class (assuming that is where he is).

Norton has another B1G offer in Purdue. Boe - mantra on here in prior years is that we should be able to get the big uglies from Minnesota - will trust PJ on this. York is interesting with the offers from the service academies and Ivy schools (Army, Brown, Columbia, Harvard, Penn, Princeton, Yale).

It will be interesting to see how the class finishes out.

The ultimate experts are coaches, especially power 5 coaches. That's why having other P5 offers matters.

How many P5 offers did Kalil Mack ,Chris Johnson, Hassan Reddick, Erick Decker and Steven Richardson have?? If I'm not mistaken some of them were even walk-ons .

How many P5 offers did Kalil Mack ,Chris Johnson, Hassan Reddick, Erick Decker and Steven Richardson have?? If I'm not mistaken some of them were even walk-ons .

Of course there are exceptions. But for every 1 guy you can name who played in the NFL but had no P5 offers, I can name 10 that did...

How do you misspell your moniker for crying out loud

I just posted this in another thread, but the areas where we haven't improved in recruiting in this class are O-line and LB. We have players, but most appear to be the Kill/Claeys type projects.

At LB we have 3 commits (Rush, Sori-Marin, and Aune), all lightly recruited without another power 5 offer between them. On the O-line, Austin Beier is a really nice recruit, but Norton, York and Boe had little to no P5 offers/interest and seem like a stretch. If you look at the 247 rankings, our 4 lowest rated recruits are either O-lineman or LBs and 6 of the lowest 7 fall into this category.

Overall, Fleck has made significant improvements in talent at QB, RB, WR, DL, and CB. Unfortunately it seems he might have been a little too eager to wrap up O-line and LB recruiting and settled for a few guys...

The LB commits all appear to be very good athletes though. They may not be higher than Kill type guys, but Kill had good success with LBs. I think if this staff can be given the benefit of the doubt at a position with lower rated guys it would have to be either o-line or wr based on their past success.

I'm sure it's been said somewhere in the thread, but wrapping up recruiting early let's the staff focus on a handful of highly ranked guys to fill out the class & the establish relationships with 4 & 5* guys for next season.

Good analysis. O-line guys look like projects. Too bad we lost the kid out of Georgia who originally committed to us, but de-committed and committed to WVU. Still hoping we can get another O-lineman.

Good analysis. O-line guys look like projects. Too bad we lost the kid out of Georgia who originally committed to us, but de-committed and committed to WVU. Still hoping we can get another O-lineman.

Uzebu might already have the college body, but is he any more skilled than the other so called projects?

I'm thinking we should fill out our 2019 class now too so we can spend time focusing on 2020 recruits. We'll really knock it out of the park then. Quickly tho, before other schools figure out this secret strategy.

Top Bottom