OT Grant Norton Commits to the Gophers

DanielHouse

Reaction score
The Gophers have received a commitment from Camdenton, MO OT Grant Norton. He chose the Gophers over Central Florida, Purdue, Bowling Green, and others. The 6-foot-8, 255-pound offensive tackle is the 22nd combined commitment in the 2018 class, including preferred walk-ons.

At 6-foot-8, 255 pounds, Norton has impressive length, but will need to fill out his frame with strength and conditioning work. He plays with an intense motor and flashes a mean streak to the whistle. He moves very well for his size and gets into the second level to find defenders. Norton’s footwork could use more polishing, but he exhibits a strong base and utilizes his hands well. In addition, Norton is more developed as a run blocker and needs to refine his stance as a pass protector. He sometimes leans as a pass protector, which gets him into trouble against power pass rushers. However, Norton has all the tools to be successful and can develop into a starting offensive tackle for the future.

Here’s his tape: http://www.hudl.com/video/3/4393058/5806d7877bddf73ae086c35b

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In about three years if he can add 40 or so pounds we might really have something here. Can't teach 6'8" on the oline

Another commit from a guy with a P5 offer, and a Big Ten one at that! Elite!

Again, it seems as if Fleck likes OL candidates who are slightly lighter but more mobile, as opposed to the 300 lbs+ guys who don't move as well. Nothing wrong with that as long as the technique is sound. Worked for Mase in the day with some really good O-Lines.

I also wonder (no data to back this up) if the lighter but more athletic OL guys are able to avoid injuries better than the mauler types. As we all know, the Gophers have had a lot of OL injuries, which really hurts with cohesion and timework on the line.

IIRC from back in the day, Todd Steussie came into Cal weighing ~ 220 as a freshmen. By the time he was drafted by the Vikes, he added 80 lbs. or better. While that may not be typical, I don't think it's farfetched to think that this kid can get to a playing weight of over 300 in the next couple of years.

Again, it seems as if Fleck likes OL candidates who are slightly lighter but more mobile, as opposed to the 300 lbs+ guys who don't move as well. Nothing wrong with that as long as the technique is sound. Worked for Mase in the day with some really good O-Lines.

I also wonder (no data to back this up) if the lighter but more athletic OL guys are able to avoid injuries better than the mauler types. As we all know, the Gophers have had a lot of OL injuries, which really hurts with cohesion and timework on the line.

I wonder how much of this is Fleck and how much is Ed W. He has been used to getting the cream of the crop at tOSU and ND and now has go back to a more developmental mode with kids not as physically developed coming in. I am a little surprised that he has not snagged higher rated OL prospects given his coaching pedigree. Hopefully he sticks around for a few years.

I wonder how much of this is Fleck and how much is Ed W. He has been used to getting the cream of the crop at tOSU and ND and now has go back to a more developmental mode with kids not as physically developed coming in. I am a little surprised that he has not snagged higher rated OL prospects given his coaching pedigree. Hopefully he sticks around for a few years.

Yeah, I think it's been an adjustment for Ed not recruiting to a big time power with essentially ready made OL for the taking.

People are excited about Ed and rightfully so, he has a great resume, but Kirk is also an outstanding OL coach. Now, he's the OC so he's not exclusively focused on OL but I expect him to have a great impact on that position group.

Yeah, I think it's been an adjustment for Ed not recruiting to a big time power with essentially ready made OL for the taking.

People are excited about Ed and rightfully so, he has a great resume, but Kirk is also an outstanding OL coach. Now, he's the OC so he's not exclusively focused on OL but I expect him to have a great impact on that position group.

Not to derail - but has Kirk Ciarrocca been an OL coach? Per his bio, Brian Callahan was the OL coach with Fleck since 2013. Heard PJ mention that Callahan was excited to bring a coach like Warinner into the program when they had the opportunity. Looks like Warinner has coached OL at Army, Air Force, Kansas, Illinois among his various stops. I think Warinner will be fine and assume Callahan will be involved as well being the TE coach.

Back on topic - welcome Mr. Norton!

I'm as excited as anybody about getting Ed but I'm perplexed why someone with his resume, combined with Kirks history of producing good OL, is not a better draw to recruits. I would have thought we would be in the conversation for some top 75 or top 100 tackle prospects?

I'm as excited as anybody about getting Ed but I'm perplexed why someone with his resume, combined with Kirks history of producing good OL, is not a better draw to recruits. I would have thought we would be in the conversation for some top 75 or top 100 tackle prospects?

They were in the conversation for at least one. But lost out to Michigan.

Sent from my Coolpad 3320A using Tapatalk

They were in the conversation for at least one. But lost out to Michigan.

Sent from my Coolpad 3320A using Tapatalk

In the conversation, actually had his commit- for 3 seconds once MI offered.

O-line is disappointing for sure... no commitment this weekend from Ezeudu and instead we reach for a few guys.

O-line is disappointing for sure... no commitment this weekend from Ezeudu and instead we reach for a few guys.

Ezeudu wanted to commit, but they chose the other two instead. Agree with your overall point though, amid all the excitement of filling a class this early, the O-line recruitment appears to be a step behind the other positions. That can be rectified pretty quickly, though, if we shut down the boarders next year.

Ezeudu wanted to commit, but they chose the other two instead. Agree with your overall point though, amid all the excitement of filling a class this early, the O-line recruitment appears to be a step behind the other positions. That can be rectified pretty quickly, though, if we shut down the boarders next year.

Does anybody know for sure why Joshua Ezeudu did not commit?

Not to derail - but has Kirk Ciarrocca been an OL coach? Per his bio, Brian Callahan was the OL coach with Fleck since 2013. Heard PJ mention that Callahan was excited to bring a coach like Warinner into the program when they had the opportunity. Looks like Warinner has coached OL at Army, Air Force, Kansas, Illinois among his various stops. I think Warinner will be fine and assume Callahan will be involved as well being the TE coach.

Back on topic - welcome Mr. Norton!

You're right, I'm not really sure why I thought that to be honest especially since Kirk works with QB's. I'm getting old. Callahan is who I was thinking of.

"FootballScoop named Callahan its 2016 Offensive Line Coach of the Year."

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

IIRC from back in the day, Todd Steussie came into Cal weighing ~ 220 as a freshmen. By the time he was drafted by the Vikes, he added 80 lbs. or better. While that may not be typical, I don't think it's farfetched to think that this kid can get to a playing weight of over 300 in the next couple of years.

Let's hope he doesn't jump offsides like Steussie and that he isn't a jerk to people off the field like Steussie

That's a lean kid! Looks like a TE out there! Good feet though.
Guess that fits what PJF wants according to Sid's show.

Top Bottom