Protests growing over Michael Vick’s impending induction into Va Tech Sports HOF

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per NBC Sports:

One new addition to Virginia Tech’s Sports Hall of Fame is causing a bit of controversy and consternation and angst.

On July 11, it was announced that Michael Vick would be one of five inductees into the university’s Hall of Fame. There is little doubt that, on the field, Vick was one of the greatest players in the history of Hokies football and, for that, he deserves a spot.

Off the field, some would argue, precludes him from such an honor. After leaving Blacksburg, Vick served 19 months in a federal prison after being convicted on dogfighting charges.

As noted by the Roanoke Times, there are two different online petitions on change.org (HERE and HERE) at the moment that are pushing for the university to reverse its inclusion of Vick as part of this year’s class. As of this posting, nearly 100,000 individuals combined have signed the petitions, one of which notes that one of the school’s own criteria for inclusion is “[m]ust be of good character and reputation/not have been a source of embarrassment to the university in any way.”

“The College unequivocally opposes honoring an individual whose past actions contradict our values and the cornerstone of our mission,” a Facebook statement from Dr. Cyril Clarke, dean of the Virginia-Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine, began. “Over the course of several days, I have communicated with President [Timothy] Sands and other campus administrators to express our disappointment and opposition to this decision. I continue to be in conversations with the president regarding this issue.”

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...ction-into-virginia-tech-sports-hall-of-fame/

Go Gophers!!

Vick really seems to have turned it around. Considering that I'm ok with this.

Had he not ... then this would be a bad choice.

When I first heard what Vick had done I was shocked. However since then he has paid his dues. I'm in for him to be honored as he has been a model citizen as far as I know since.

As much as it pains me to say let him in, and it pains me, let him in. He's a piece of **** but he was their best player ever and supposedly a good role model now.

As much as it pains me to say let him in, and it pains me, let him in. He's a piece of **** but he was their best player ever and supposedly a good role model now.

You seem to be contradicting yourself. Either hes a good role model or a bad person. Cant be both.

Apparently, one of the criteria is that the person must not have been a source of embarrassment to the University. One could argue that going to prison would qualify. If those are the standards, then the school should follow their own standards.

Then again, I'm one who believes that the steroid users should not be allowed into the baseball hall of fame, either.

Bruce Smith was their best player ever - not even close.

My dogs just gave me a thumbs down. It's up to (insert your deity of choice) to forgive.

Considering how his brother Marcus went... Michael has done really well as far as living a better life.

one of which notes that one of the school’s own criteria for inclusion is “[m]ust be of good character and reputation/not have been a source of embarrassment to the university in any way.

Vick really seems to have turned it around. Considering that I'm ok with this.

Had he not ... then this would be a bad choice.

When I first heard what Vick had done I was shocked. However since then he has paid his dues. I'm in for him to be honored as he has been a model citizen as far as I know since.

The bolded part is the thing that needs to be called in question, as I think entering him contradicts that rule. So the choice is between honoring the rule, or saying he has paid his dues and what he's done in the past doesn't matter anymore.

Ehhhh. Vick basically single handedly led them to a national title game

Neat. Smith won the Outland Trophy, was a first-team All-American, is in the College and Pro Football HOF, and is the all-time NFL sack leader. Vick threw 21 TD passes in two years of college. Smith had 22 sacks in one season. Again, not close.

Neat. Smith won the Outland Trophy, was a first-team All-American, is in the College and Pro Football HOF, and is the all-time NFL sack leader. Vick threw 21 TD passes in two years of college. Smith had 22 sacks in one season. Again, not close.

And what did Tech do while Smith was there? Went 8-4 and lost to Air Force in the Independence Bowl his senior year. Your argument is stupid. Mike Vick did FAR more for VT than Smith. He brought them to the national stage where they actually stayed for years. He led them to their 2 best seasons ever. Congrats on the NFL success but you have no leg to stand on in terms of on field impact in college. Just admit you're wrong and move on

If we're being honest Michael Vick is Virginia Tech Football. They we're a meh program at best before Vick, and they're kind of a meh program now

So you're saying that, based on physical skills, removing all NFL knowledge, you would rather recruit a Bruce Smith to your college team than a Michael Vick? And it wouldn't be close? Right...

So you're saying that, based on physical skills, removing all NFL knowledge, you would rather recruit a Bruce Smith to your college team than a Michael Vick? And it wouldn't be close? Right...

Without question - 100%, with zero hesitation.

And what did Tech do while Smith was there? Went 8-4 and lost to Air Force in the Independence Bowl his senior year. Your argument is stupid. Mike Vick did FAR more for VT than Smith. He brought them to the national stage where they actually stayed for years. He led them to their 2 best seasons ever. Congrats on the NFL success but you have no leg to stand on in terms of on field impact in college. Just admit you're wrong and move on

Wait, are we discussing who had the better team or who was the better player? Forget the NFL portions. Outland Trophy, First Team All-American, 22 sacks in a single season (at VT, not in the NFL), College Football Hall of Fame. Was Vick inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame and I missed it? By your logic, Jake Coker was a better college player than Jadeveon Clowney. He won a national title, and that's the only way we can measure how good a player is.

Wait, are we discussing who had the better team or who was the better player? Forget the NFL portions. Outland Trophy, First Team All-American, 22 sacks in a single season (at VT, not in the NFL), College Football Hall of Fame. Was Vick inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame and I missed it? By your logic, Jake Coker was a better college player than Jadeveon Clowney. He won a national title, and that's the only way we can measure how good a player is.
Ehhh. Not really. I think yea, Smith was better at his position comparative to other players. But that doesn't mean he had a bigger impact. The best kicker in the country doesn't have the same impact as the best WR nor does the best OG have the same influence as the best DE. Vick was THE reason VT had the success they did. Without him those are 7-8 win teams. With him they're title contenders.

I think the only reason people are protesting is because he starved dogs and made them fight other dogs. If I remember correctly he murdered quite a few of them while him and his friends laughed about it too? Is there a limit of horrible things someone can do that we don't have to proclaim they're forgiven and changed? Would be do the same for a serial killer who "changed" like vick "did"?

My prediction is if protests pick up and covered by national news, the fake news syndicates will turn this into a race issue instead of a character issue.

I think the only reason people are protesting is because he starved dogs and made them fight other dogs. If I remember correctly he murdered quite a few of them while him and his friends laughed about it too? Is there a limit of horrible things someone can do that we don't have to proclaim they're forgiven and changed? Would be do the same for a serial killer who "changed" like vick "did"?

My prediction is if protests pick up and covered by national news, the fake news syndicates will turn this into a race issue instead of a character issue.

Killing people and killing dogs arent the same thing. Not that I advocate killing dogs but theyre vastly different things. Honestly people kill animals all the time for fun but many people view dogs differently whilr some dont. Plenty of follks hold no ill will towards Vick. Honestly that seems way more healthy than those still actively working to bring the man down

Vick paid for his crimes according to the law. He never committed those crimes in College. Award him for his football accomplishments.

Killing people and killing dogs arent the same thing. Not that I advocate killing dogs but theyre vastly different things. Honestly people kill animals all the time for fun but many people view dogs differently whilr some dont. Plenty of follks hold no ill will towards Vick. Honestly that seems way more healthy than those still actively working to bring the man down

It takes a special kind of psycho to kill innocent animals. You can't just fix that. That urge to kill and torture doesn't just go away.

I have no quarrel with people who forgive him. I understand what you mean. I am a huge animal lover and impossible for me to forgive him. If he had just killed a dog once, I could. But over years of fighting, starving, torture and laughing at all that really paints a picture of a psycho.

What he did was messed up, no doubt it that.

With all that being said he paid his dues and people should move on and let him live the rest of his life. If he was welcomed back into the NFL he can be welcomed into some college HOF

Top Bottom