Protests growing over Michael Vick’s impending induction into Va Tech Sports HOF

Again - the debate is over VA Tech's own criteria for induction. Allowing Vick into the HOF seems to be - on the surface - a contradiction of the school's own criteria.

So, the question is, does the school ignore its own rules to induct this player?

It's not my decision or your decision to make - it's the school's decision. Either they change the rules for induction, or they explain why they are circumventing the rules for Michael Vick. But rules are rules.

Apparently, one of the criteria is that the person must not have been a source of embarrassment to the University. One could argue that going to prison would qualify. If those are the standards, then the school should follow their own standards.

Then again, I'm one who believes that the steroid users should not be allowed into the baseball hall of fame, either.

So, remove our beloved Kirby Puckett?

Vick is now an assistant coach under Andy Reid and the KC Chiefs, I would have thought they would have protested this as well. What Vick did was wrong, but he has seen the light and seems to be a model citizen now. I applaud his change and wish him the best.

Forgiveness is one thing. But consequences are something totally different.

Just because a person can be forgiven, doesn't mean they shouldn't suffer the consequences that their actions earned them.

Vick EMBARRASSED his alma mater, hence forgive him, sure, since he's changed, but that doesn't mean he didn't embarrass his alma mater, and so if they honor their own rules, a consequence of his past actions is that he should not be inducted. That is what a "consequence" is.

If a serial killer converts while in prison and becomes a born again Christian or maybe a very devout Muslim or maybe a Buddhist or whatever, does that mean his life should now be spared?

HELL NO!!!!!! You still fry his arse!!!

Hey, Ray Lewis murdered a man in will easily get into the PFHOF.

And what did Tech do while Smith was there? Went 8-4 and lost to Air Force in the Independence Bowl his senior year. Your argument is stupid. Mike Vick did FAR more for VT than Smith. He brought them to the national stage where they actually stayed for years. He led them to their 2 best seasons ever. Congrats on the NFL success but you have no leg to stand on in terms of on field impact in college. Just admit you're wrong and move on

Frank Beamer brought VT to the National Stage. By mid 90s (prior to Vick) they had 10 win seasons and had appearances in both the Sugar and Orange Bowls and were Top 10-15 program.

I seem to remember an opinion piece/article comparing Vick's apology to Rick Pitino's 'apology' after his infidelity. Vick's was not prewritten & he didn't read from a lawyers statement. It appeared honest and sincere and truly remorseful. Pitino's was read verbatim from a script and was filled with legal stuff and didn't seem the least bit honest. Seems like Vick has followed up that apology with nothing but good actions (pretty sure he paid every last creditor and didn't dodge anybody) and has changed his ways. I say put him in. As a dog owner, I'm sickened by what him and his 'friends' did, but he has paid his penalties and served his time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom