ESPN 30 for 30 documentary on former Gopher Ric Flair (video trailer)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
ESPN will feature former Gopher Ric Flair in a 30 for 30 documentary:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

It will no doubt be an interesting show. Couldn't help noticing the Mich sweatshirt he's wearing...

It will no doubt be an interesting show. Couldn't help noticing the Mich sweatshirt he's wearing...

Wait another 1-5 years, if Pitino leads the Men's BB team to some major success (Conf Xs, FFs, maybe a Natl X), we might start to see people like Flair and T Denny among dozens, if not hundreds of former UMn people who have gone on to some sort of fame or success start to show their alma mater a little more love.

The same could be said about PJF and the football team.

Now if BOTH Fleck and Pitino become successful, then the sky is the limit. There could be thousands and maybe even tens of thousands of former UMn people starting to show their alma mater some love, and I don't just mean wearing Gopher t-shirts instead of Michigan t-shirts when someone is videotaping them for something, or donating 10 million for this or that, like a T Denny can, but I'm talking alot more Gopher t-shirts, hats & sweatshirts being sold and worn by your average person out there, and also more 100, and 1000, and 10000 and 100000 dollar donations coming in as well from people less famous or successful and rich as Sanford. The U has one of the largest populations of graduates in the world all needing something other than Cancer breakthroughs or Women's Hockey Dominance to inspire them to breakout their checkbooks.

And we might gain our own famous fans going to Gopher games, too?

Flair could be one? We already have Rick Pitino Sr. Any other potentials you guys can think of? Maybe Hellboy? lol Capt Janeway? Dylan? Lesnar? Kessel? Dungy?

All of that on top of other more obvious benefits like selling out more games, more media exposure, etc..

I've dreamt of a day when Both FB and Men's BB have incredible seasons at the same time, and as a fan of all sports, I really dig the fact that if that happens, it could be that both the hockey teams and the wrestling team and the VB and Softball and Soccer teams and the Women's BB team could all, have good to incredible seasons at the same time, not to forget the less watched or TV friendly sports of swimming, track, gymnastics, golf, tennis, etc..

2002? Gave me a glimpse of this, with the Men's Hockey team, Wrestling team and Mens Golf teams all winning Natl Titles. I think the U finished 7th in the Sears Cup Standings that season, and Sports Illustrated listed the U among the Top 10 in their list of Top Sports colleges that year, which is a ranking/rating weighed more heavy towards Mens BB and FB. So even if we don't ever get to #1 in the Sears Standings, we could in something like that SI top sports schools ranking.

Just not sure we have enough sports competing, but I'd love for the University of Minnesota to be the first school since UNC did it the first year, to beat out Stanford in the Sears Director's Cup Standings.

Now first we have to have one or both of the fb/Msbb teams to do this, to start bringing in the extra money, and extra media coverage, and then the people running the show might feel it justified to go after some homerun coaching hires in sports like Women's BB that need more help.

Or maybe enough of the really high quality home grown athletes will just like the overall vibe at the U, ie think it would be a fun place to go to school, and stay home to play for the home team despite the coach or maybe even a few out of staters could come just because the U has become the coolest place to be???

ESPN will feature former Gopher Ric Flair in a 30 for 30 documentary:

Go Gophers!!
How long are we going to continue to claim Ric Flair as "one of us"? Such a tenuous connection.

Until the U rises to such national prominence again that we don't have to merely "claim" guys like Flair, but guys like Flair want strongly to "claim" the U.

ESPN: WWE Hall of Famer Ric Flair in hospital; rep asks for support

Two-time WWE Hall of Famer Ric Flair was hospitalized and admitted to an intensive care unit over the weekend, and after initially downplaying the seriousness of the issue, a representative for Flair has made a plea for public support.

Melinda Morris Zanoni, the CEO of Legacy Talent LLC, tweeted out the latest on Flair's situation late Sunday night.

http://www.espn.com/wwe/story/_/id/20340087/wwe-hall-famer-ric-flair-hospitalized-icu

How long are we going to continue to claim Ric Flair as "one of us"? Such a tenuous connection.

Extremely tenuous. Wasn't born in Minnesota. Didn't graduate from a Minnesota high school. Played freshman football at U of M. Then went to Verne's wrestling camp. Hey, I love the guy. Greatest pro wrestler ever without question the greatest schtick (especially in the old NWA/WCW era). But we can barely claim him.

PS--Sorry to see he is hospitalized.

When no one in the world who watches wrestling (outside of Minnesota) would have no clue that he went to the U of M, it kind of tells you how much he wore it on his sleeve.

Yes. he was there, but so was my brother in law for about as much time.

When no one in the world who watches wrestling (outside of Minnesota) would have no clue that he went to the U of M, it kind of tells you how much he wore it on his sleeve.

Yes. he was there, but so was my brother in law for about as much time.

Is your brother in law Randy Savage? Someone else famous?

My favorite Rick Flair quote... “ A friend in need ......is a pest”
Wooooooo

per Shooter:

An ESPN “30 for 30 documentary” screening on former Edina resident and pro wrestler “Nature Boy” Ric Flair will be on Friday at ICON Theatres in St. Louis Park.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/10/21/charley-walters-four-vikings-are-candidates-to-make-pro-bowl/

Go Gophers!!

I am not sure why anyone has any issue with Flair and downplays the connection. He did live in Edina for a portion of his youth and he was enrolled at the U of M and was on the practice field as a U of M football player. That is more than enough for me.

The fact that the Rick Flair "Whoo" is prominently used at the games in recent years is great. Was not Verne Gagne on the team as well at one point back in in the Bud Grant era?

Tonight:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom