When did Fleck teach sixth grade social studies?

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
He started coaching for Tressel in 2006.
He was cut by the Bears in 2006 when he couldn't pass a physical.
2005 he was on injured reserve.
Did he teach while on IR?

Has a bachelors degree in elementary education so he would l have had to student teach at some point in time

My question is does anybody really have a 6th grade social studies teacher? In sixth grade you typically have a teacher and a classroom, no? In 7th grade you move to different teachers and different classrooms? And if this lasted for a week in his life it must have made a huge impact on him?

My question is does anybody really have a 6th grade social studies teacher? In sixth grade you typically have a teacher and a classroom, no? In 7th grade you move to different teachers and different classrooms? And if this lasted for a week in his life it must have made a huge impact on him?

These days, in most parts of the country, middle school is grades 6 - 8 and high school 9 - 12.

Depends on the school. I started moving around for classes in 6th grade. So I did have a 6th grade social studies teacher. We still had a main room and spent more time there than any other classrooms, but we'd move for writing, Social Studies, and math.

It was an elite school.

6th grade in middle School in Anoka Hennepin you move around to different teachers all day. They have "Minnesota Studies" as a social studies class.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

I think most larger schools move around in 6th grade now.

Thanks for answering my question.

Minnesota offers a 5-8 Middle School license. I think Mendota Heights/West St Paul has middle schools at 5th grade with designated Social Studies teachers. So...it certainly is possible to only teach Social Studies in 6th grade.

Hmmm. In 5th and 6th grade we rotated through different SS, Math, LA, and Science teachers every day. That was 45 years ago. If you didn't, you went through a one room school.

We didn't even got a 6th grade where I growed up.

Huh? Did you grow up in the 60s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huh? Did you grow up in the 60s?

I'd cut him some slack. My 6th grade where I grew up was lumped in the elementary school (K-6) so we did move a little but certainly not like a traditional middle school. This was in the late 80's and in the Twin Cities.

I'd cut him some slack. My 6th grade where I grew up was lumped in the elementary school (K-6) so we did move a little but certainly not like a traditional middle school. This was in the late 80's and in the Twin Cities.

I know of schools in the Cities that still go K-6. The post I quoted came from 60's guy, thus my comment.

I can confirm that ISD197 in West St. Paul/Mendota Heights, which my kids attend, does have fifth and sixth grade social studies teachers; our middle schools are grades 5-8.

As to the larger point, without going full Reusse, this is something Fleck really ought to be more careful about, if for no other reason than to avoid giving ammo to his critics. A quick look at his resume makes it quite clear that while he might have a teaching degree and some classroom experience, he certainly didn't do it very long, and he'd probably be better off not citing it as being particularly relevant to what he's doing now. It certainly doesn't help fight the perception in some quarters that he's a chronic BSer.

I can confirm that ISD197 in West St. Paul/Mendota Heights, which my kids attend, does have fifth and sixth grade social studies teachers; our middle schools are grades 5-8.

As to the larger point, without going full Reusse, this is something Fleck really ought to be more careful about, if for no other reason than to avoid giving ammo to his critics. A quick look at his resume makes it quite clear that while he might have a teaching degree and some classroom experience, he certainly didn't do it very long, and he'd probably be better off not citing it as being particularly relevant to what he's doing now. It certainly doesn't help fight the perception in some quarters that he's a chronic BSer.

TO be fair, a lot of the times he's mentioned it he's said "I'm trained to be [ . . . ] I have an elementary education degree", which is completely true and I believe it is relevant because of the teaching aspect. However, a few times he has forgotten the "I'm trained to be" part which is a bit confusing when you look at his timeline.

True enough, and I can certainly believe that he did pick up some things while training to teach that have an impact on how he approaches things now, but let's be honest: if you taught for less than a year and depict it as anything other than a relatively minor part of your life, a lot of people are going to raise an eyebrow and be less likely to give you the benefit of the doubt.

TO be fair, a lot of the times he's mentioned it he's said "I'm trained to be [ . . . ] I have an elementary education degree", which is completely true and I believe it is relevant because of the teaching aspect. However, a few times he has forgotten the "I'm trained to be" part which is a bit confusing when you look at his timeline.

I'm not sure I have ever heard him put that caveat beforehand. I don't care, but have heard him say "I was a ....." many many times. Technically true. I'll focus on other "stretches" PJ has made tho.

True enough, and I can certainly believe that he did pick up some things while training to teach that have an impact on how he approaches things now, but let's be honest: if you taught for less than a year and depict it as anything other than a relatively minor part of your life, a lot of people are going to raise an eyebrow and be less likely to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Had things worked out differently, he very well could have ended up a full time teacher. He wasn't expected to make it in the NFL, and he ended up staying in the league for 2 years. And due to his work eithic there, is why he was offered a coaching job. Sometimes life takes you down a completely different path than what you were expecting, which makes it very relevant to where he is today.

I'm not sure I have ever heard him put that caveat beforehand. I don't care, but have heard him say "I was a ....." many many times. Technically true. I'll focus on other "stretches" PJ has made tho.

It could be "student teaching" where you actually do TEACH

FWIW - I was in the 6th grade in the 1966-67 school year. we had 1 teacher who taught every subject. This was in a town of just over 1000 people, with about 50 kids in my class, so we had two sections. My home town had 1 building that was K-6, and one building that was 7-12. So, when I was in the 7th grade, moved to a different building where we moved from room to room depending on the subject and the teacher. (and the seniors picked on the 7th graders, but that is a different story........)

Top Bottom