Gophers Land Alabama DT Transfer O.J. Smith

DanielHouse

Reaction score
After visiting the Gophers, Alabama DT O.J. Smith will transfer to Minnesota. As a junior, he will sit out this season, but may be granted a medical hardship for an additional year, according to Kyle Goblirsch of 24/7 Sports.

Smith was a reserve DT and transferred out of the Alabama program to get more playing time. He will contribute immediately in Minnesota as three defensive tackles will graduate at the end of 2017.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pioneer Press: Former Alabama defensive tackle to transfer to Minnesota

per Greder:

The Gophers’ thin defensive line depth beyond this season received a big boost Thursday, with former Alabama tackle O.J. Smith’s announcement he will transfer to Minnesota.

“I am Officially Family of the University of (Minnesota)!!!! Ready to work! #LetsBe Elite @GopherFootball.”

At 6-foot-2 and 309 pounds, Smith will be eligible to play in the 2018 season. He had two tackles across the 2015 and 2016 season with the Crimson Tide. He announced in June that he would leave Alabama.

Out of Bossier City, La., Smith was a four-star prospect and was ranked 215th nationally in the ESPN’s top 300.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/07/2...ma-defensive-tackle-to-transfer-to-minnesota/

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Quick question, in the year he has to sit out is he allowed to practice? Or at least observe practices? What about workouts? Just want to know if he'll have time to adjust to PJs style of practice and what not before (possibly) his only season of play.

Quick question, in the year he has to sit out is he allowed to practice? Or at least observe practices? What about workouts? Just want to know if he'll have time to adjust to PJs style of practice and what not before (possibly) his only season of play.

I think you can practice, but you're not eligible play in games.

He'll be on scout team more than likely for this season.

He can definitely practice with the team while sitting out the transfer year. Nice addition to give us an upperclassman DT for the 2018 & if he could get a medical hardship waiver to add another year of eligibility that would make it even better.

puts us at 20 guys in 2018 d-line depth

5th year Gary Moore
5th year Jerry Gibson
5th year OJ Smith
4th year Royal Silver
4th year Winston DeLattiboudere
4th year Sam Renner
3rd year Carter Coughlin
3rd year Taiyon Devers
3rd year Connor Novak-Goar
2nd year Malcolm Robinson
2nd year Austin Schirck
2nd year Noah Hickcox
2nd year Boye Mafe
2nd year Esezi Otomewo
2nd year Nate Umlor
2nd year Quinn Coughlin
1st year Ahanotu
1st year Okonji
1st year Richter
1st year Teague
plus any additional signings, transfers, walk-ons...position changes (Beebe? Witham? Kieft? Bursch?)

Very good news. Nice job to Fleck and Company and welcome to Minnesota Mr.Smith.

I wonder who recruited his official visit. Fleck was at B1G media days and the Scott County Fair during his visit (according to Twitter). Looks like we have some ELITE closers on the staff!

Awesome. D-Line depth is hard to come by. And if he was good enough for Alabama....then he'll be a welcome addition to our team.

I wonder who recruited his official visit. Fleck was at B1G media days and the Scott County Fair during his visit (according to Twitter). Looks like we have some ELITE closers on the staff!

May not have been there to press the flesh, but this coach has shown no problem with modern tools like Facetime, etc.. I'd guess the guy got at least some one on one time with Fleck even if it wasn't in person.

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Tutors, advisers, and counselors at the athleticc center are a blessing and are unsung heroes for turning kids lives around academically and other ways. It takes a village.

He was only good enough to sit on Alabama's bench.

I know nothing about OJ Smith, but I checked out the depth chart from 2016 and some recruiting rankings. As far as I can tell Alabama runs a 3-4 and OJ Smith was listed at the nose tackle position.

2016 Depth Chart
OJ Smith - 3 star recruit, 40th in Alabama and unranked nationally in 2014, RS JR this year
Da'Ron Payne - 5 star recruit, 19th overall in 2015, true JR this year. Projected 1st/2nd round pick next year.
Josh Frazier - 4 star recruit, 86th nationally in 2013, true SR this year

2017 Depth Chart
Da'Ron Payne (again)
Raekwon Davis - 4 star recruit in 2016, ranked 88th nationally, true SO
Josh Frazier - moved to strongside DE?

Just because he didn't see time at Alabama doesn't mean he can't be a solid DT as a senior here in MN. There is a crazy talent logjam there in Alabama.

I hope the guy can help the team. I suppose a Bama recruit - any Bama recruit - has some talent.

But - just wondering here - if the Gophers had signed a transfer from a non-helmet school who had played a handful of snaps in two years, would anyone be celebrating?

I think this points up the need to improve the level of recruiting if the Gophers are ever going to be in the same conversation as the big boys. Imagine a day when another school is excited because they got a transfer from the U of MN who had only played a handful of snaps. Now that would be a sign of progress.

Top Bottom