Penn writer on Fleck: "That, my friends, is not a BS dispenser. That is a BS artist."

Isn't schtick another word for bs?.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly. He needs to sell himself so he does it by acting like an angry, salt-of-the-earth, ass. I've met Reusse in person many years ago for a sit down with a small group. Nice guy but he basically said, when things are good, look for and write about the bad. When things are okay, look for the bad. When things are bad, look for the bad. If things are really bad, look for the good and write about that.

Not a bad take except we don't know if Brew had a plan or not. He wanted to run and gun in the spread but once he realized he couldn't recruit the athletes he needed to run it he switched to more of a power scheme. You say he had no plan because of that but I disagree. I think we are hard on ol' Brew it's not like he didn't want to succeed, he truly did. I think there is so much venom against him because everyone bought in media, fans, players, admin...they all did, and when he didn't deliver he is called all kinds of nasty. I think that's why there is this push back against PJF they all feel like they are going to have their hearts broken again. I do feel that PJF knows what he wants from the start so that helps. I guess we will see what happens. I personally love that he's here but I'm very cautious about him because I've seen many many other "sure things" flame out at bigger programs like Michigan, USC, Notre Dame, etc. hopefully that's not the case here. Either way I'm all in and going to enjoy the ride!
Brewster was about gimmicks by changing offenses. More like let's try this let's try that. Fleck has a plan underneath which is about recruiting guys who match the process and working the process to make improvements. Like all the vocab words and acronyms, he's got a whole learning plan set out in advance for the team.

Brewster is like a teacher who just shows up and yells "you're going to get straight A's" throws out textbooks to the kids, and then just changes text books each year. PJ seems more of the type who wrote his own workbook and is going to have them read it, read them it, then make them watch it on video and only recruit kids who are begging to see the workbooks.

What makes you say that he didn't work hard?

Just a poor choice of words. Brew was a hard worker, just didn't seem to plan out his work to the end game being ineffective. Like busy work but not accomplishing anything...

Brewster was about gimmicks by changing offenses. More like let's try this let's try that. Fleck has a plan underneath which is about recruiting guys who match the process and working the process to make improvements. Like all the vocab words and acronyms, he's got a whole learning plan set out in advance for the team.

Brewster is like a teacher who just shows up and yells "you're going to get straight A's" throws out textbooks to the kids, and then just changes text books each year. PJ seems more of the type who wrote his own workbook and is going to have them read it, read them it, then make them watch it on video and only recruit kids who are begging to see the workbooks.

Oh Brewster had a plan. He thought he could get all the "speed guys" he wanted to come-up here. Gonna run a pass happy attack and on defense was gonna throw speed at them. Kind of Joe Tiller light. Didn't really care if most of the local kids wanted to come to the U or not.

He thought he was going to able to recruit them up here the way he did at North Carolina and Texas. He got a small number of them (Skyline Five?) after that disastrous first season. He sold some of those kids on getting immediate playing time. Probably why he wasn't as concerned with his record as everybody else was. Then some of his Assistants started to look elsewhere. Mason told everybody that the Gophers were going to have to rebuild and people ripped him for it. Injuries particularly to their running game and on defense, made that rebuilding year into a horrible one for Brewster.

That throw-first Offense started working for him in his 2nd season, but injuries exposed the lack of depth. Both on offense and defense.

After that Brewster gave-up on his plan to recruit Southern players up here. He decided that the only way he could win was going the Wisconsin route. Get the big, beefy local boys and grind it out. But by then it was way to late. Heard that local H.S. Coaches who were blown-off earlier weren't real happy to see him. Some of his Assistants had good runs in the college game but that was at other schools not here.

Brewster recovered and went on to be a successful assistant himself at Mississippi State and Florida State.

When he was at Mississippi State, someone asked him about recruiting to Starkville. He laughed a little and said that it was easier for him to recruit there than it was up in Minnesota.

Gopher fans online ripped him for saying that, but for him it was absolutely the truth. He rightly gets criticized for his lack of Head Coaching experience, but it was his vastly misplaced confidence in his ability to get players from the old Confederate states to head to Minnesota that did him in. Sure they bought into Brewster at UNC and TX, but they bought into the school first and foremost.

Fleck certainly isn't Brewster. Fleck can coach. He's proven that, and he's not gonna waste a lot of time trying to out recruit Texas, A&M, UNC or Clemson for guys that they want. P.J. is also coming after a 9-4 season, and previous seasons of 6-7, 8-5 and 8-5.

Despite the few voices that keep telling people that it's gonna be another "rebuilding "year, Fleck isn't gonna let this season devolve into a 4-8 or 5-7 season let alone a 1-11 one.

He's not Brewster.

That's one of the better articles I've read in a while. His takes on the range of Big Ten characters is pretty much spot on and lol funny IMO.

Regarding Fleck's assessment - let's be honest he could easily be the Slap Chop guy if this football thing doesn't work out. You're going to love his nuts. The writer gave him props that he could coach so I wouldn't get overly sensitive about it. It's a humor piece.

Oh Brewster had a plan. He thought he could get all the "speed guys" he wanted to come-up here. Gonna run a pass happy attack and on defense was gonna throw speed at them. Kind of Joe Tiller light. Didn't really care if most of the local kids wanted to come to the U or not.

He thought he was going to able to recruit them up here the way he did at North Carolina and Texas. He got a small number of them (Skyline Five?) after that disastrous first season. He sold some of those kids on getting immediate playing time. Probably why he wasn't as concerned with his record as everybody else was. Then some of his Assistants started to look elsewhere. Mason told everybody that the Gophers were going to have to rebuild and people ripped him for it. Injuries particularly to their running game and on defense, made that rebuilding year into a horrible one for Brewster.

That throw-first Offense started working for him in his 2nd season, but injuries exposed the lack of depth. Both on offense and defense.

After that Brewster gave-up on his plan to recruit Southern players up here. He decided that the only way he could win was going the Wisconsin route. Get the big, beefy local boys and grind it out. But by then it was way to late. Heard that local H.S. Coaches who were blown-off earlier weren't real happy to see him. Some of his Assistants had good runs in the college game but that was at other schools not here.

Brewster recovered and went on to be a successful assistant himself at Mississippi State and Florida State.

When he was at Mississippi State, someone asked him about recruiting to Starkville. He laughed a little and said that it was easier for him to recruit there than it was up in Minnesota.

Gopher fans online ripped him for saying that, but for him it was absolutely the truth. He rightly gets criticized for his lack of Head Coaching experience, but it was his vastly misplaced confidence in his ability to get players from the old Confederate states to head to Minnesota that did him in. Sure they bought into Brewster at UNC and TX, but they bought into the school first and foremost.

Fleck certainly isn't Brewster. Fleck can coach. He's proven that, and he's not gonna waste a lot of time trying out recruit Texas, A&M, UNC or Clemson for guys that they want. P.J. is also coming in of a 9-4 season, and previous seasons of 6-7, 8-5 and 8-5.

Despite the few voices that keep telling people that it's gonna be another "rebuilding "year, Fleck isn't gonna let this season devolve into a 4-8 or 5-8 season let alone a 1-11 one.

He's not Brewster.

That's a damn good take Iceland...agree 100% on everything.

For P.E....Geezo Beezo! Wacker was such a kind guy from everything I heard and read, a real "good guy". It was too bad he couldn't get it done here, so many great quotes!

I am tired of the Fleck dictionary already, so damned repetitive. On the other hand, if he wins, he and Webster can change the entire Dictionary for all I care.

That's one of the better articles I've read in a while. His takes on the range of Big Ten characters is pretty much spot on and lol funny IMO.

Regarding Fleck's assessment - let's be honest he could easily be the Slap Chop guy if this football thing doesn't work out. You're going to love his nuts. The writer gave him props that he could coach so I wouldn't get overly sensitive about it. It's a humor piece.

13. Chris Ash (Rutgers)

It's hard not to feel sorry for Chris Ash. But man, when the guy was standing there, gripping the lectern like he needed it for an anchor, it reminded me of a police lieutenant doing a murder investigation press conference. He looks like a witness to the aftermath of a grisly event, one who must do his job in detailing it. Perfect fit for Rutgers football...

12. Paul Chryst (Wisconsin)

Every time I see Paul Chryst, I expect him to say, "You gotta have a good breakfast, Margie. I'll make ya some eggs." Remember, the female cop's husband in Fargo who was all disappointed that his duck painting was only chosen for a 3-cent U.S. Postage stamp? Chryst does not belong behind a mic and you sense he knows that. The really great part is, it doesn't matter a damn. His Badgers are great in spite of his lack of sales panache. It gives you hope for our society...

10. D.J. Durkin (Maryland)

"Genuine enthusiasm is contagious."

That's how BTN studio analyst and former Minnesota, Kansas and Kent State head coach Glen Mason introduced Maryland's D.J. Durkin, the second-year head coach who's been pulling in the top-20 classes at a place that hasn't seen such a thing since Randy White. But then, we were presented with a guy who sounded like he'd just completed a corporate communications class on how to pleasingly say nothing.

Last year, Durkin was more animated during his rookie year on the podium. He looked like a young guy ready to take on a remodeling job. Now, it's more like he's been taught message-framing by some consultant. Maybe it was that 2-7 finish after the 4-0 start. Maybe losing a Quick Lane Bowl to Steve Addazio put him in a daze.

But when he was asked a simple question about what he learned coaching against Jim Harbaugh and Urban Meyer rather than with them (which Durkin did at Bowling Green, Stanford and Michigan), he lapsed into standard-issue pablum:

"I just think if you go to our conference from top to bottom, there's a lot of great coaches. I think one of the things that we all know, and I certainly realize, is you better be prepared every week, better have your team prepared no matter who the opponent is."

C'mon, man. Just tell the truth. You learn that Urban and Harbaugh have really good players. Still better than yours...

6. James Franklin (Penn State)

I don't know if it was the juxtaposition of being just 15 minutes after the end of the P.J. Fleck Experience or maybe James Franklin is getting a little older.

But he actually looked like a normal human with a metabolism in need of coffee at 8:30 a.m. -- just a little bleary. I find that endearing. I don't understand "morning people."

Oh, the affirmative bromides were still there:

"The more days you put together where you have maximized from the time you've got up to the time you've gone to bed, as an individual and as a group and as an organization, then you have a chance to be successful."

But the manic energy was just clicked down a couple of notches. Compare the 2017 Franklin with the 2014 Franklin and there's quite a bit of difference. That's not a bad thing...

4. Urban Meyer (Ohio State)

I can't know how it feels to be someone so completely comfortable in his own skin as to seem leisurely and vaguely bored in any circumstance.

For instance, imagine Urban Meyer looking at you with that indifferent expression he wears, the lower lip jutted out slightly as if he's about to decline an offer of some thing or service he doesn't need. Then, imagine him wearing the same expression after being told live alien beings had contacted SETI and were visiting Earth tomorrow. See, you can imagine that, can't you?..

3. Mark Dantonio (Michigan State)

This is the last place I ever thought I'd be ranking a guy who has the perpetual countenance of a man who's just been told his insurance won't pay for his gall bladder operation. You've met more personable DMV clerks. Dantonio didn't get to where he is through selling recruits like some TV barker pitching spray rubber sealant.

It makes sense, then, that he would exhibit his greatest public presence while backed into a corner. And that's where Michigan State is after a 3-9 season concurrent with a sexual assault scandal that saw Dantonio toss four highly ranked recruits off the team.
The veteran Michigan State coach, now entering his 11th year in East Lansing, came out not combative but exuding diligence and determination:

I think it's a good sign when Reusse and a Penn St blogger hate him. I will never understand why so many people care so much what a coach says. In the end, it's all about wins and losses. It's not Fleck's job to appease trolls like Reuse.

This beat writer was here a few years ago and was not impressive. Made fun of the TCF part of the stadium's name which was pretty moronic.

Still fact is that it's time to put the new guy's team on the field and see what happens.

The previous regime did better than average for us last year in the post-Rose Bowl era...hoping the new guys will average the same or better over the next few seasons.

Have to admit though that I'm very curious what we're going to see. With Coach Claeys I think I'd know except QB and passing percentage (or not).

Not this time. I expect lots of younger guys getting playing time. There will be mistakes but maybe glimpses of talent too.

I like our chances.

Isn't a "BS artist" more a guy that talks about the core values and traditions of a program while his assistant coach is raping little boys in the shower?

Isn't a "BS artist" more a guy that talks about the core values and traditions of a program while his assistant coach is raping little boys in the shower?

Either that or a BF artist.

giphy.gif

I have to believe that Fleck is going to make Gopher football games very entertaining if the team is competitive. IMO, he is one of the most unique, if not the most, head college coaches in the NCAA.
This should be fun to watch.

Fleck certainly isn't Brewster. Fleck can coach. He's proven that, and he's not gonna waste a lot of time trying to out recruit Texas, A&M, UNC or Clemson for guys that they want. P.J. is also coming after a 9-4 season, and previous seasons of 6-7, 8-5 and 8-5.

Despite the few voices that keep telling people that it's gonna be another "rebuilding "year, Fleck isn't gonna let this season devolve into a 4-8 or 5-7 season let alone a 1-11 one.

He's not Brewster.

I'm not defending Brew - but the bolded part is simply not the truth. Brew recruited MN hard.

As bad as Brew was, he really did slow down and pretty much stop the rush of MN players going to WI and Iowa under the Mason regime.

Brew failed at most things, but he did recruit MN pretty hard and did a pretty good job.

Some people really, really hate unbridled enthusiasm, which is what Coach Fleck brings. Maybe we should go back to our Football Coach who had the personality of a coat rack?

Do we really need to go down this road again? There is an endless list of great football coaches who seem to have boring personalities (to the outside world).
There is also an endless list of high-energy failures. And vice versa.

It's about the person's ability to coach.

Meh...Fleck is who he is and I don't care. As long as he runs a clean program and wins games I don't care if wears is wifes underwear to work and pees in the tub while taking a bath.

Meh...Fleck is who he is and I don't care. As long as he runs a clean program and wins games I don't care if wears is wifes underwear to work and pees in the tub while taking a bath.

This is exactly where I am.

If he wins and runs a clean program - - - I don't care about the rest.

I'm not defending Brew - but the bolded part is simply not the truth. Brew recruited MN hard.

As bad as Brew was, he really did slow down and pretty much stop the rush of MN players going to WI and Iowa under the Mason regime.

Brew failed at most things, but he did recruit MN pretty hard and did a pretty good job.

He did start trying to recruit them hard after his change in Offensive Philosophy. First two years though? Sure he got some local kids but if your saying that was the main thrust or focus of his recruiting we disagree.

But that's okay.

On his radio show Tuesday, Reusse went on a full-out rant for about 7 or 8 minutes on the "cultural sustainability" line. he said among other things, that he never wants to be in the same room as Fleck. Reusse also said that if anyone ever says "cultural sustainability" to him, he will punch that person in the face. One of his sidekicks said 'what if it was a woman?' - Reusse said if a woman with a baby in her arms said "cultural sustainability," that he would punch her in the face and take the baby away from her.

I thought it was pretty damn funny.

There is little to nothing funny about that. Reusse is an ass. And these statements show he's an ass. And, to be honest, I am going to find a way to get in front of him and utter the phrase. Then, if he's a man of his word, he'll be paying me a tidy sum each year for the next decade.

He did start trying to recruit them hard after his change in Offensive Philosophy. First two years though? Sure he got some local kids but if your saying that was the main thrust or focus of his recruiting we disagree.

But that's okay.

Yeah. In his first two years, he recruited MN (probably harder than he did towards the end). That had more to do with the in-state talent.

His first class had a ton of MN kids, a lot of them were initially Mase recruits.
His second class had Maresh (prized local recruit at the time) and 4 other MN recruits.

Do we really need to go down this road again? There is an endless list of great football coaches who seem to have boring personalities (to the outside world).
There is also an endless list of high-energy failures. And vice versa.

It's about the person's ability to coach.

I know. You are right. But, it just also gets old to see people take endless shots at Coach Flecks enthusiasm also. Give me a Coach who has endless energy (Fleck, and to an extent, Brewster even though he couldn't run a program) than someone like Coach Claeys was (Claeys was a hell of a DC, just don't think he had the chops to be a HC. Just my opinion). That is just the type of Coach that I would rather have. But again, you're right. None of this matters if Coach Fleck isn't somewhat successful.

Yeah. In his first two years, he recruited MN (probably harder than he did towards the end). That had more to do with the in-state talent.

His first class had a ton of MN kids, a lot of them were initially Mase recruits.
His second class had Maresh (prized local recruit at the time) and 4 other MN recruits.

2007 - transition year - 8 from Minnesota out of 24. One from WI. 1 four star player from Minnesota according to Rivals.

2008 - 4 out of 30 from Minnesota. Zero from WI. 7 four star players, 1 from Minnesota.

2009 - 6 players from Minnesota out of 20. Zero from Wisconsin. 3 four star players, all from out of state.

2010 - 3 players from Minnesota out of 26 signed. 3 from WI. According to Rivals, 2 of those Minnesota guys were 4 star players, but it was over for Brewster by then.

http://www.gopherhole.com/page/show/374780-2007-gopher-football-recruiting-class

http://www.gopherhole.com/page/show/374779-2008-gopher-football-recruiting-class

http://www.gopherhole.com/page/show/374778-2009-gopher-football-recruiting-class

http://www.gopherhole.com/page/show/374777-2010-gopher-football-recruiting-class

But that's okay.

Our coaches should always focus more on out of state recruiting than in state. Not nearly enough talent in MN.

Our coaches should always focus more on out of state recruiting than in state. Not nearly enough talent in MN.

Sure. Though nothing wrong with a "close the borders" approach either.

Brewster's approach seemed to waiver from his "speed players" only beginnings.

2007 - transition year - 8 from Minnesota out of 24. One from WI. 1 four star player from Minnesota according to Rivals.

2008 - 4 out of 30 from Minnesota. Zero from WI. 7 four star players, 1 from Minnesota.

2009 - 6 players from Minnesota out of 20. Zero from Wisconsin. 3 four star players, all from out of state.

2010 - 3 players from Minnesota out of 26 signed. 3 from WI. According to Rivals, 2 of those Minnesota guys were 4 star players, but it was over for Brewster by then.

http://www.gopherhole.com/page/show/374780-2007-gopher-football-recruiting-class

http://www.gopherhole.com/page/show/374779-2008-gopher-football-recruiting-class

http://www.gopherhole.com/page/show/374778-2009-gopher-football-recruiting-class

http://www.gopherhole.com/page/show/374777-2010-gopher-football-recruiting-class

Thanks for bringing this up. There is zero correlation between us switching offenses and then signing more MN recruits.

As far as the bolded part. . . Brew coached the 2010 season, well, 1/2 of it. It was over for him the next year.

Thanks for bringing this up. There is zero correlation between us switching offenses and then signing more MN recruits.

As far as the bolded part. . . Brew coached the 2010 season, well, 1/2 of it. It was over for him the next year.

:rolleyes:

Trying to think how this came up and then remembered that it is a thread on "B.S."..

Bob Loblaw: "Yeah. In his first two years, he recruited MN (probably harder than he did towards the end). That had more to do with the in-state talent.

His second class had Maresh (prized local recruit at the time) and 4 other MN recruits."

It was mainly over for him in January of 2009 when he signed that contract that took him down to a $200,000 buyout. It was completely over when he lost to South Dakota.

http://www.twincities.com/2010/10/17/timeline-gophers-football-under-tim-brewster/

Top Bottom