Penn writer on Fleck: "That, my friends, is not a BS dispenser. That is a BS artist."

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Penn writer on Fleck: "That, my friends, is not a BS dispenser. That is a BS artist."

per PennLive.com reporter David Jones: Ranking Big Ten football coaches at the Media Days microphone

11. P.J. Fleck (Minnesota)

I’m pretty sure I bought 25 super-absorbent towels from this guy. He was wearing a head mic at the York Fair and he targeted me walking by and wouldn't leave me alone. So, I just eventually bought his product so he'd stop talking. Who knew he'd become the Minnesota head football coach?

Look, I love enthusiasm. It's enthusiastic duplicity I can't stand. You know it as "BS." And this guy deals in it. He's a slicker version of Tim Beckman who can also coach a little, so there's no telling how far he can go in this biz.

My favorite part of Fleck's spiel as the opening act on Tuesday morning (yes, the audience was accosted with this at 8 a.m. CDT) wasn't his pretending to tell one of his four kids not to hit his sister through the TV screen (cute) or his honoring of Jim Tressel as his role model (perfect) or the detailing of legal acquisition of his "Row The Boat" mantra from his prior stop at Western Michigan (it was an honor to bring it to Minnesota) or his explanation of why he's having ESPNU do a reality show on the season (it was their idea).

No, my favorite part was his description of how delighted his old offensive line coach from WMU was when he learned he'd been demoted to tight ends coach -- because he'd hired Ed Warinner who was just cut loose by Urban Meyer at Ohio State. See, the holdover guy's "eyes lit up" when he learned that he could learn from the incoming vet. That's just the sort of selflessness he has on his staff.

That, my friends, is not a BS dispenser. That is a BS artist.

http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/index.ssf/2017/07/big_ten_football_media_days_20.html

Go Gophers!!

Reusse chimes in with a blog about Jones' column:

This was an accurate assessment by David Jones, even if it was a bit too generous toward Fleck. I mean, our guy was mentioning that he was the Gophers’ third head coach in three years, and any English-speaking humanoid would have referred to this as a need for stability.

Fleck came up with “cultural sustainability.’’ He’s a cartoon character. No wonder the rational Oregon boosters said, “Keep him away from here,’’ when Fleck tried to barge into the picture for that job last December.

They like the Ducks out there, but apparently not Daffy Duck.

http://www.startribune.com/it-didn-...750913/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=dlvr.it

Go Gophers!!

LOL, until Fleck wins on a consistent basis, he will be a walking mockery from the media.
Fleck seems to love it so we might as well take a ride on the good ship Lollipop.

It's pennlive, feel free to disregard. Even many Penn St. fans ignore it....

BS or no BS. If PJ believes in it and the players do, I really don't care

George Contanza to Jerry Seinfeld regarding how to "beat" a lie detector:

"Remember Jerry, it's not a lie if YOU believe it's true..."

If the coach, staff and players believe in it and are able to draw success in their recruiting, training, game approach, game day performance, and schooling from it...I am on board.

Frankly, I'm enjoying the positive vibes... who gives a rat's arse what Ruesse or some other crusty putz in Pennsylvania thinks. If Coach Fleck were boring, they'd be ripping on that.

I bit harsh, even for me, but still funny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Fleck had a folksy southern accent he'd be loved as a down-home good ol' boy with a boatload of spirit (not all that dissimilar to a Kill type figure, or Ol' Ball Coach). I'd Fleck were a minoriry he'd be lauded as an innovator that pulled himself up by his wit and bootstraps.

He may actually be all of those things. But, because he's a white guy from mindwest (you could throw any Northern metroplex in there), he's just a slimy used car salesman BSing everyone. I'll never cease to be amazed at the pictures the media can paint by playing with words, and call fact.

On his radio show Tuesday, Reusse went on a full-out rant for about 7 or 8 minutes on the "cultural sustainability" line. he said among other things, that he never wants to be in the same room as Fleck. Reusse also said that if anyone ever says "cultural sustainability" to him, he will punch that person in the face. One of his sidekicks said 'what if it was a woman?' - Reusse said if a woman with a baby in her arms said "cultural sustainability," that he would punch her in the face and take the baby away from her.

I thought it was pretty damn funny.

On his radio show Tuesday, Reusse went on a full-out rant for about 7 or 8 minutes on the "cultural sustainability" line. he said among other things, that he never wants to be in the same room as Fleck. Reusse also said that if anyone ever says "cultural sustainability" to him, he will punch that person in the face. One of his sidekicks said 'what if it was a woman?' - Reusse said if a woman with a baby in her arms said "cultural sustainability," that he would punch her in the face and take the baby away from her.

My money is on the woman in this tussle.

Well, you know Reusse has to play his schtick....

Ruesse and Davis Jones - they are detractors who wants to garner attention. I simply will ignore them.

PJ Fleck's approach may be too much for some people. It doesn't bother me as long as he can win and attract top caliber athletes.

We wanted a coach who can sell Gopher Football, and that is what PJF is doing.

If he wins he can BS all he wants.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

The only thing that matters is if he can coach.

If Jerry Kill couldn't coach football, he wouldn't be "salt of the earth" and "grounded", he'd have been a country bumpkin.

If Fleck can coach, he'll be an energetic guy who ignited the program.
If he can't coach, he'll be a BS dispenser.

For the people it inflamed (who obviously missed the point), this is what people meant by comparing him to Brewster. The question is IF he can coach. I'm confident he is a better coach than Brew, but if he fails, he will be considered a snakeoil saleseman.

I wonder how David Jones feels about James Franklin.

Some people really, really hate unbridled enthusiasm, which is what Coach Fleck brings. Maybe we should go back to our Football Coach who had the personality of a coat rack?

I wonder how David Jones feels about James Franklin.

Exactly what I was thinking.

I know why people are comparing Fleck to Brewster, as they do have one very visible thing in common. But imo, it stops there. Brewster had no plan, no loyalty from his coaches, no discipline from his players, he was the captain of a rudderless ship with no idea of where he needed or wanted to go.

Fleck knows exactly where he wants to go, and he has an idea how to get there, because he's been there before.

Any writer who picks the surface level argument of a second coming of Brewster is pandering to the uneducated football fans-of which there are many-in the Twin Cities and any where else. It will take Fleck winning for that comparison to lose some momentum.

My point though is that regardless of whether he succeeds here or not, he really has very little in common with Brewster. Dumb comparison made by dumb people, believed by dumb people.

Some people really, really hate unbridled enthusiasm, which is what Coach Fleck brings. Maybe we should go back to our Football Coach who had the personality of a coat rack?
John Gutekunst?

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

Exactly what I was thinking.

I know why people are comparing Fleck to Brewster, as they do have one very visible thing in common. But imo, it stops there. Brewster had no plan, no loyalty from his coaches, no discipline from his players, he was the captain of a rudderless ship with no idea of where he needed or wanted to go.

Fleck knows exactly where he wants to go, and he has an idea how to get there, because he's been there before.

Any writer who picks the surface level argument of a second coming of Brewster is pandering to the uneducated football fans-of which there are many-in the Twin Cities and any where else. It will take Fleck winning for that comparison to lose some momentum.

My point though is that regardless of whether he succeeds here or not, he really has very little in common with Brewster. Dumb comparison made by dumb people, believed by dumb people.

Not a bad take except we don't know if Brew had a plan or not. He wanted to run and gun in the spread but once he realized he couldn't recruit the athletes he needed to run it he switched to more of a power scheme. You say he had no plan because of that but I disagree. I think we are hard on ol' Brew it's not like he didn't want to succeed, he truly did. I think there is so much venom against him because everyone bought in media, fans, players, admin...they all did, and when he didn't deliver he is called all kinds of nasty. I think that's why there is this push back against PJF they all feel like they are going to have their hearts broken again. I do feel that PJF knows what he wants from the start so that helps. I guess we will see what happens. I personally love that he's here but I'm very cautious about him because I've seen many many other "sure things" flame out at bigger programs like Michigan, USC, Notre Dame, etc. hopefully that's not the case here. Either way I'm all in and going to enjoy the ride!

Said this before...that could describe nearly half the current B1G coaches.

I know Reusse takes offense at "culture of sustainability" but then also compares him to Brewster? Nothing says sustainability like 5 Offensive Coordinators in 4 years.

Not a bad take except we don't know if Brew had a plan or not. He wanted to run and gun in the spread but once he realized he couldn't recruit the athletes he needed to run it he switched to more of a power scheme. You say he had no plan because of that but I disagree. I think we are hard on ol' Brew it's not like he didn't want to succeed, he truly did. I think there is so much venom against him because everyone bought in media, fans, players, admin...they all did, and when he didn't deliver he is called all kinds of nasty. I think that's why there is this push back against PJF they all feel like they are going to have their hearts broken again. I do feel that PJF knows what he wants from the start so that helps. I guess we will see what happens. I personally love that he's here but I'm very cautious about him because I've seen many many other "sure things" flame out at bigger programs like Michigan, USC, Notre Dame, etc. hopefully that's not the case here. Either way I'm all in and going to enjoy the ride!

I'm going to stick my neck our and say this. I agree Brew had a plan or at least talked like he had a plan. What he didn't have is the substance, the hard work and steps in place to make that an a reality. A plan without action is just a dream. Brew was a dreamer....a very optimistic dreamer.

I'm going to stick my neck our and say this. I agree Brew had a plan or at least talked like he had a plan. What he didn't have is the substance, the hard work and steps in place to make that an a reality. A plan without action is just a dream. Brew was a dreamer....a very optimistic dreamer.

What makes you say that he didn't work hard?

We can argue all we want but in the end it's, "if Fleck wins". The rubber hits the road next week with the start of training camp, with the first 'reality check', on the 31st against Buffalo(actually more of a pop quiz but it is a test). I can't wait to see reality vs promises.

Did he really have a plan if he changed it after what, one year? Two? His plan was weak because he lacked the experience, he was a first year head coach. I'm not knockin the guy for that, but if you change your plan after one year how good of a plan was it? Or how disciplined are you to abandon the plan so quickly? I liked Brewster too, thought he was a good guy, I drank the kool-aid big time. To me, It just seemed like he was always changing stuff up, for whatever reason whether he was desperate or couldn't make a decision or whatever. It seemed like the plan kept changing with him.

Sorry SON but I don't think anything coming from Reusse is funny. He is an old man who has lost any sense of responsible reporting. I actually feel sorry for him. Maybe his days of drinking have finally caught up with him.

Would it be wrong if I took you to be a Wacker backer? [emoji41]

Whatever. Five years from now all of our opinions on his spiel are going to be based on how much success he has here. He's like a guy that you might find irritating but always seems to have hot girlfriends. YOU may not think his style should work, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work for him with others.

Top Bottom