Top 30 Coordinator Hires for 2017 (26. Kirk Ciarrocca, OC MN; 12. Jerry Kill, OC Rut)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Athlon:

26. Kirk Ciarrocca, Offensive Coordinator, Minnesota
New coach P.J. Fleck is handing the controls of Minnesota’s offense to Ciarrocca after the two worked together at Western Michigan from 2013-16. After the Broncos averaged 17.2 points a game in 2013, the offense showed marked improvement over the next three seasons. Western Michigan’s scoring average climbed to 33.8 in 2014, 36.0 in 2015 and 41.6 in 2016. Additionally, the Broncos finished first or second in the MAC in yards per play in three consecutive years (2014-16). Ciarrocca’s 2016 unit was one of the most-balanced attacks in the nation, as Western Michigan posted 3,204 yards on the ground and 3,533 through the air. Ciarrocca also worked as an assistant at Princeton, Penn, Delaware and Richmond, along with a three-year stint as Rutgers’ offensive coordinator from 2008-10.

12. Jerry Kill, Offensive Coordinator, Rutgers
Kill is back on the sidelines since stepping down as Minnesota’s head coach during the 2015 season due to health reasons. Kill’s arrival is a boost for a Rutgers offense that managed only 9.6 points per game in Big Ten action and was held without a point in four contests. The Kansas native hasn’t worked in the offensive coordinator role since 1993 at Pittsburg State, but he was a successful head coach at five different stops – Saginaw Valley State, Emporia State, Southern Illinois, Northern Illinois and Minnesota – since that season. In addition to his play-calling duties and work with quarterbacks, Kill’s experience and veteran leadership should be a valuable asset to second-year coach Chris Ash.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-footballs-top-30-coordinator-hires-2017

Go Gophers!!

I guess it is a boost to Rutgers, but not sure rising from pure garbage to ... guy with under performing offenses is really that big a jump....

And Ed doesn't even get a mention here :p

I guess it is a boost to Rutgers, but not sure rising from pure garbage to ... guy with under performing offenses is really that big a jump....

And Ed doesn't even get a mention here :p

Ed is not a coordinator.

Go Gophers!!

Sawvel at #21.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will be hugely interesting to see if Ol Jerry was the architect of our dynamic and innovative "no two minute offense". Personally I thought it was a great tactical decision to burn timeouts in the third quarter and get to the end of the game with maybe one in our pocket, while the coaches quibbled about what play to run on third downs....then RUTM.

Oh goodie...more Athlon genius (sorry i know you're tired of that.)
I loved Kill as a HC, with his leadership, that being said his offensive
scheme was hot garbage.. RUTM RUTM RUTM, and just in case they think
we'll pass on 3rd and long, we'll pass on 3rd and long, but only 3 yard routes.

I remember the Kill offenses at NUI being fairly dynamic, but that probably had something to do with the fact that he had upper level talent relative to the MAC.

The Gopher Offenses under Kill were pretty abysmal year after year, and that probably has more to do with the reality that he was playing in the Big Ten with MAC level talent on the Offensive side, and he knew it so he dumbed it down to limit mistakes and let the Claeys D win the games for him.

Rutgers is not going to reel in top Big Ten talent, so I am not sure that that bodes well for Kill as OC. I thought it was a very odd hire for a smart, young Head Coach. Kill is especially dangerous to have on staff because the AD will be tempted to fire the HC and name Kill as HC if things go south in a hurry. Very odd choice indeed.

I suffered through the Homecoming win vs. Rutgers last year and talked to a bunch of their fans in the NW upper corner. They were very downtrodden, then their offense came alive and it looked like they finally found the right QB as they stormed back to almost win the game.

I question if Jerry Kill could put together an offense that looks like the what they did at TCF last year when they stormed back and deserved to win that game.

Top Bottom