Jon Rothstein Files: How will Minnesota handle expectations?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Rothstein:

3. How will Minnesota handle expectations?

What a difference a year makes. Twelve months ago the Golden Gophers were on the heels of an eight-win season and many wondered if Richard Pitino would be able to turn the corner at Minnesota. That question was answered when this team went 24-9 and earned a 5-seed in the NCAA Tournament.

Pitino returns the bulk of his core from last season sans veteran guard Akeem Springs and has five players — Nate Mason, Amir Coffey, Dupree McBrayer, Jordan Murphy, and Reggie Lynch — who have a chance to earn All-Big Ten honors in 17-18. Add top-100 freshman Isaiah Washington and reliable reserve Eric Curry, and this group has a chance to become one of the best teams in the history of Minnesota’s program.

The question now becomes how this team will handle being a marquee game on every opponent’s schedule. Last season, the Gophers weren’t necessarily viewed as a real threat to do national damage until they won at Purdue on New Year’s Day. Pitino’s squad will travel to Arkansas and Providence (Gavitt Games), hosts Miami in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge, and also plays Alabama in the Barclays Center Classic before it kicks off play in the Big Ten.

https://www.fanragsports.com/cbb/rothstein-files-big-ten-offseason-notebook/

Go Gophers!!

Hope this team stays hungry and with a chip on their shoulder. Will be interesting to see how the loss of Springs effects the team as it's been said he was a vocal leader. Will need a big year from Mason and Coffey to continue his ascension and it could be a special year

Hope this team stays hungry and with a chip on their shoulder. Will be interesting to see how the loss of Springs effects the team as it's been said he was a vocal leader. Will need a big year from Mason and Coffey to continue his ascension and it could be a special year

The Springs loss is important, especially in terms of leadership. But you also have Hurt and Harris who could add some things to the above-mentioned line up. I expect Hurt to be much improved and able to help out this year. If they stay focused, this time will be damn tough to beat-and not just at home.

The team should be better. Assuming holdovers improve, you have the same team + more depth.

IW, Harris and Fitzgerald will all likely get minutes. Coffey is hopefully improved, along with Hurt and Curry. Add in any improvements from Murphy (who was dreadful at times last year), Lynch, Mason, McBrayer and the Gophers will be big and deep. Konate will likely still get minutes.

The team should be better. Assuming holdovers improve, you have the same team + more depth.

IW, Harris and Fitzgerald will all likely get minutes. Coffey is hopefully improved, along with Hurt and Curry. Add in any improvements from Murphy (who was dreadful at times last year), Lynch, Mason, McBrayer and the Gophers will be big and deep. Konate will likely still get minutes.

The additions are critical, as every team has players coming back that will improve. Most teams expect to be better because their player will improve, forgetting players on every team will also improve.

Go Gophers!!

The additions are critical, as every team has players coming back that will improve. Most teams expect to be better because their player will improve, forgetting players on every team will also improve.

Go Gophers!!

But there is more. Arguably, players improve the most from their freshman year to their sophomore season. Dupree is a very current example. He took a major leap. Coffey and Curry are freshman who played a lot of minutes. Other teams don't necessarily have freshman in the same position. In a different way because of his step up in competition and sitting out, Lynch is much like somebody going into their sophomore year. He could take a big leap on the offensive end of the floor. Most teams don't have everybody back except one guy. We have a lot of experience returning. Not every team has a top 100 recruit with a New York City confidence itching to make an impact to thousands of social media followers. Harris, hopefully fills the Springs void of an outside shooter. Fitzgerald has been called our best player by the coach at some points in 2016-17.
That's why all the optimism is being directed at the Gophers. They have lots of income streams to put it in business comparison terms regarding potential scoring and "new business divisions" to invest in.
Staying healthy is the entire key. If we are healthy we'll be good. On another note, If that happens, I will be surprised if Michael Hurt sees the floor. There are 10 guys pretty clearly ahead of him. Coffey, Curry, Fitzgerald, Harris, Konate, Lynch, Mason, Dupree, Murphy and Washington. We won't play 11. If Harris can make 3's he'll play. If Fitzgerald was really in the mix to start last year he'll play. I haven't seen much of either guy but the other 8 are going to play for certain. Depending on the matchups, fouls etc maybe some games Konate's minutes are are not there. But slice it however you want imo 10 guys are ahead in fighting for minutes. If you can't defend anybody, you gotta score a bunch.

The rotation will be interesting next year. I could see a bulked up Curry taking more minutes at the five. As Clem the gem would say about Konate he has five hard fouls a game to give. There will be conference games where we would need that junk yard mentality, especially on the road. I think Fitz and Hurt will compete for Amir's back up minutes and for scraps at the four spot. Who ever can defend and or has a better out side shot will win those minutes. Also Washington is very vocal so even as a freshman he could fill that void left by Akeem

It seemed like a lot of wins last year came down to the wire and usually in our favor. Hopefully they can improve enough to where that isn't an issue. I see no reason why it shouldn't

It seemed like a lot of wins last year came down to the wire and usually in our favor. Hopefully they can improve enough to where that isn't an issue. I see no reason why it shouldn't

I can think of at least 4 games where we were tied or winning with under a minute left and lost.

Top Bottom