Daily Herald: Minnesota coach Fleck insists nothing he does is an act

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Daily Herald:

First-year Minnesota football coach P.J. Fleck doesn't mind standing out in a crowd.

He wore the loudest jacket during his debut at Big Ten media day and called it a tribute to longtime Twin Cities columnist Sid Hartman. He recently rowed a boat across the infield pond during a promotional appearance at a horse track in Minnesota.

One thing that seems to bother Fleck, though, is when anyone suggests he's trying to be different.

"I am just me. I'm the same guy as Year One at Western Michigan," Fleck said Tuesday at the Hyatt Regency McCormick Place. "Go back 10 years and see what I was like. Go back 20 years and see what I was like. I haven't changed a ton. I've always had a lot of energy, I love life and I love to be a part of something that isn't necessarily easy to accomplish and hence that's why we're here."

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/20170725/minnesota-coach-fleck-insists-nothing-he-does-is-an-act

Go Gophers!!

Love his reference of Heather not wanting the peninsula to turn into an island.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems like many outsiders spend much time analyzing Fleck. Must be pretty board with their lives or insecure.

PJF seems to have to assure people of that an awful lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fleck himself has said that his act is not for everyone. And yet, when other people say they don't like his act, posters on here get upset.

Why? If Fleck doesn't expect everyone to agree with him, why should it surprise anyone on Gopher hole that some people don't agree with Fleck?

If I like liver and onions, but someone else doesn't like liver and onions, that doesn't bother me. I will continue to eat liver and onions. If you don't want to eat liver and onions, that is your choice.

remember choice - free country - all of that stuff?

Fleck himself has said that his act is not for everyone. And yet, when other people say they don't like his act, posters on here get upset.

Why? If Fleck doesn't expect everyone to agree with him, why should it surprise anyone on Gopher hole that some people don't agree with Fleck?

If I like liver and onions, but someone else doesn't like liver and onions, that doesn't bother me. I will continue to eat liver and onions. If you don't want to eat liver and onions, that is your choice.

There is a difference between whether or not you can relate to someone and being personally offended that someone is different than you. We're talking about human beings. Not liver and onions. You don't have to like PJ Fleck, but taking pot shots at him because he has more enthusiasm for life than you do is petty and rude. There will always always be people that have to find a way to make themselves feel superior on the internet I guess.

BTW, I'm not directing any of this at you personally. Just speaking in general.

It's like David Copperfield, at some level you know it's an act, but if the performance is good enough and it makes people feel like they are seeing magic, you don't really care and can appreciate the skill.

As a person who tried to engage you on some of the reasons why Fleck is not for you and was ignored. I feel like you are bothered by saying they don't like liver and onions, and you will post continuously on how great liver and onions are. You might even listen to a person who says they will punch someone if they state liver and onions are not something you should eat even if that person is a woman.

Usually when I feel this way it is because I have a different interpretation on what you mean by "it doesn't bother me". I am open to being wrong as I am trying to piece posts together and that usually fails pretty quickly.

A HC at one of the large suburban HS's was in our office in June and told me that he has had three private meetings with Fleck and he is just the same out of the public eye. Called him hyper energetic.
He also said that he has been to countless D1 practices and Fleck's were very unique in the pace and energy. Embrace it and let's hope he kicks ass.

Worrying about if this guy that none of us will interact with in any meaningful way is doing an act or not makes me think of this guy:

There is a difference between whether or not you can relate to someone and being personally offended that someone is different than you. We're talking about human beings. Not liver and onions. You don't have to like PJ Fleck, but taking pot shots at him because he has more enthusiasm for life than you do is petty and rude. There will always always be people that have to find a way to make themselves feel superior on the internet I guess.

+1...

Oh, bleep. Can't anyone on this site read?

PJ Fleck - remember him - said this:

"I'm not for everybody," Fleck said on the Big Ten teleconference Wednesday.

That's coming from Fleck - not from me. He understands that not everyone is going to buy his approach. So why can't you understand that? You are the ones getting upset when anyone doesn't fall to their knees and declare their undying love for PJ Fleck. Fleck gets it - I give him props for reading the mean tweets. He knows that some people are not going to be on his side.

I am not personally offended by PJ Fleck. I just don't buy his act. It's a personal choice. I don't have the right to tell you who or what to like - and you don't have the right to tell me who or what to like.

(note - this was a longer post, but I deleted some of it because I decided it was a little too inflammatory.)

+1

Also,
There is a difference between whether or not you can relate to someone and being personally offended that someone is different than you. We're talking about human beings. Not liver and onions. You don't have to like Tracy Claeys, but taking pot shots at him because he is a large man or because he isn't enthusiastic like PJF is petty and rude. There will always always be people that have to find a way to make themselves feel superior on the internet I guess.

What time is supper? What should I bring for dessert?;)

Yes, as fans we do let many little things bother us.

He just said it wasn't an act??????????

Oh, bleep. Can't anyone on this site read?

PJ Fleck - remember him - said this:

"I'm not for everybody," Fleck said on the Big Ten teleconference Wednesday.

That's coming from Fleck - not from me. He understands that not everyone is going to buy his approach. So why can't you understand that? You are the ones getting upset when anyone doesn't fall to their knees and declare their undying love for PJ Fleck. Fleck gets it - I give him props for reading the mean tweets. He knows that some people are not going to be on his side.

I am not personally offended by PJ Fleck. I just don't buy his act. It's a personal choice. I don't have the right to tell you who or what to like - and you don't have the right to tell me who or what to like.

(note - this was a longer post, but I deleted some of it because I decided it was a little too inflammatory.)

I'm far from "falling on my knees" for Coach Fleck, but I am interested that his most ardent detractors seem to use the word "act" instead of "persoanlity" or "approach." Perhaps it's the dismissive nature of the word "act" that leads people to question your intentions rather than anyone's inability to read.

In the book "Bo" by Mitch Albom, Schembechler said that he was always acting (like a head coach) in front of his players. Seemed to work for him.

Fleck's thing, what he does, how he acts, his life, IS NOT AN ACT!!!!!

He's simply been this way his whole life, thousands of people can attest to this, it is undeniable.

He's admitted that not everyone can handle him, or that not everyone will like him, but who cares?! We don't need all of America to want to come play for us.

Who is he going to attract? Players who are ok with his message, with his way, with the lifestyle that comes with being a player for PJF. Players who are willing to buy into an entire system of living, a healthy lifestyle. My guess is this doesn't include dumbfukks who think its ok to get involved in gangbangs!!!!

I've been watching his videos, he's awesome. Sure, maybe he's a lot to handle for some of us older guys, but for young men, 17-20 years old, omg, I can't imagine anyone I'd rather have my son play football for. His players are NOT going to be gang bangers, or gangbangers, or in any way involved in gangs of any kind, cept maybe the boyscouts.

He's not faking ANYTHING, he's a true believer. Not 100% sure what he believes in, but it seems to me its something along the lines of living a good life, being a good person, valuing family, valuing hard work, valuing teamwork, valuing hard work, etc..

I mean seriously, other than his having too much energy for some of us old farts, what is so bad about him???? Everything he is wanting his players to buy into are good things.

All he promotes are good things.

PJF could be the best thing that has EVER happened to the UMn since Bernie Bierman showed up on campus.

His energy is catchy. Some of you LAZY sh1ts may think he's a fake, but that's only because you are LAZY sh1ts. He's been this way for DECADES, stop trying to claim its fake. Just admit that you are lazy compared to him.

OK, that is harsh, compared to PJF, we are all lazy, lol. All I am trying to point out is just because he somehow has more energy than the rest of us, doesn't mean HE is the one who is wrong or that anyone is wrong. Maybe you all aren't lazy, but its wrong for you to criticize him simply because he has such a naturally high level of energy.

People are different, just because he has such a high energy level and most of us don't, does NOT mean he is faking anything, and honestly, shame on all of you trying to claim as much.

He's simply been this way his whole life, thousands of people can attest to this, it is undeniable.

He's admitted that not everyone can handle him, or that not everyone will like him, but who cares?! We don't need all of America to want to come play for us.

Who is he going to attract? Players who are ok with his message, with his way, with the lifestyle that comes with being a player for PJF. Players who are willing to buy into an entire system of living, a healthy lifestyle. My guess is this doesn't include dumbfukks who think its ok to get involved in gangbangs!!!!

I've been watching his videos, he's awesome. Sure, maybe he's a lot to handle for some of us older guys, but for young men, 17-20 years old, omg, I can't imagine anyone I'd rather have my son play football for. His players are NOT going to be gang bangers, or gangbangers, or in any way involved in gangs of any kind, cept maybe the boyscouts.

He's not faking ANYTHING, he's a true believer. Not 100% sure what he believes in, but it seems to me its something along the lines of living a good life, being a good person, valuing family, valuing hard work, valuing teamwork, valuing hard work, etc..

I mean seriously, other than his having too much energy for some of us old farts, what is so bad about him???? Everything he is wanting his players to buy into are good things.

PJF could be the best thing that has EVER happened to the UMn since Bernie Bierman showed up on campus.

His energy is catchy. Some of you LAZY sh1ts may think he's a fake, but that's only because you are LAZY sh1ts. He's been this way for DECADES, stop trying to claim its fake. Just admit that you are lazy compared to him.

OK, that is harsh, compared to PJF, we are all lazy, lol. All I am trying to point out is just because he somehow has more energy than the rest of us, doesn't mean HE is the one who is wrong or that anyone is wrong. Maybe you all aren't lazy, but its wrong for you to criticize him simply because he has such a naturally high level of energy.

People are different, just because he has such a high energy level and most of us don't, does NOT mean he is faking anything, and honestly, shame on all of you trying to claim as much.

I love your passion for our coach man! In regards to the bolded section. We awould assume that to be true, but he won't be with these kids 24/7. While we teach and mentor kids and they know right and wrong they don't always do the right thing (I know my kids have tried their best but run into a few things in life). So while these things should be very unlikely that doesn't mean it won't happen. I think it was the Gopherhole podcast on the Gophers beat writer (Nadine help me out?) who talked about players under Kill who did much the same as PJF kids do. She knows, she's taught classes at the U. Love our coach but he's not all knowing and can't control everything. Kids will screw up, it's a given. Let's just hope it's nothing ever like before.

He exudes energy and fun. I saw him at Goldy's Run.

I can see why he is a recruiting magnet. Pure enthusiasm!

I love your passion for our coach man! In regards to the bolded section. We awould assume that to be true, but he won't be with these kids 24/7. While we teach and mentor kids and they know right and wrong they don't always do the right thing (I know my kids have tried their best but run into a few things in life). So while these things should be very unlikely that doesn't mean it won't happen. I think it was the Gopherhole podcast on the Gophers beat writer (Nadine help me out?) who talked about players under Kill who did much the same as PJF kids do. She knows, she's taught classes at the U. Love our coach but he's not all knowing and can't control everything. Kids will screw up, it's a given. Let's just hope it's nothing ever like before.

Oh, you are right, unfortunately even with a guy like PJF as the coach, some player could fall into temptation and screw up. And hey, I won't judge them. But with a guy like PJF, maybe he can mimimize the chances of one of our guys screwing up?

PJ has had players allegedly rob someone at gun point. A lot of good coaches can have unfortunate things happen under their watch.

Top Bottom