Pioneer Press: Gophers’ LB Jon Celestin dedicates senior season to late father

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

After each Gophers game, linebacker Jon Celestin talked on the phone with his father, Frederick, back home in Georgia. They spoke for the last time after Minnesota’s spring game on April 15.

“He said he couldn’t wait for the season,” Jon Celestin said Tuesday. “He was going to come up to a game and everything.”

Three days later, Frederick was struck by a Chevy Tahoe while walking at 5:20 a.m. in Albany, Ga., according to WALB-TV. The driver, Brian Williams, swerved but couldn’t avoid Celestin, who was taken to a nearby hospital and died within the hour, the station reported. No charges were filed against Williams.

Frederick was wearing his son’s maroon-and-gold No. 13 jersey at the time of the accident.

“It was pretty hard, but I’ve been persevering and keeping the team — still leading the team, doing what I can to make my team successful,” Celestin said Tuesday from Big Ten media days.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/07/2...estin-dedicates-senior-season-to-late-father/

Go Gophers!!

I hope he has one hell of a season, dedicated to his father.

Ski-U-Mah, Jon! RTB

I had missed any reporting of this incident. Tragic. Can't imagine going through that as a young man so far from home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's heartbreaking. As Unregistered said, I hope he has a huge year this year. I'll be cheering extra for him. I'm so thankful for high character guys like him and Rodney. Blessings to him and his family.

Oh man that does hurt. Yes we do need to keep supporting him as something like this isn't over in a month or whatever.

Let's all get up and give him a standing ovation on the first home game this season.

Man that just has to suck for that young man. I know my relationship with my dad and my kids and I can't imagine. Hope he has a monster season. I agree I will be standing up for him at the first game!

Beyond tragic. Hope he and his family can recover from a horrible loss.

Top Bottom