Souhan: Married to Whalen, State Open champ Greve making a name for himself

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Souhan:

Ben Greve led the Minnesota State Open last weekend. He was attempting to win two Opens in a row like his golfing heroes John Harris and Tom Lehman.

At the University of Minnesota and on mini-tours, Greve had obsessed over the mechanics of his swing, and as an accomplished amateur he fiddled with his pre-round routine.

With history beckoning, doubts encroached, and that’s when Greve received his latest reminder of how lucky he is to be married to Lindsay Whalen.

“We were joking before the final round,” Greve said. “I started saying, ‘I don’t know of any tournament I’ve ever played where I won leading start to finish.’

“She was like, ‘What are you talking about? Why are you thinking? Just go do it.’ She’s so confident, and she knows how important confidence is in sports.”

Greve won by five strokes.

“I’ve not only learned from Lindsay, I’ve learned from that whole [Lynx] group, the coaches and players,” Greve said. “What people don’t see is just how much preparation they do and how many sacrifices they make. While we’re all having fun in the summer they’re usually watching film, or just resting, staying out of the sun.

“I used to show up at a tournament 40 minutes before my tee time, and loosen up and go. Now I get there two hours early and really get ready, and talk to people about the course.”

http://www.startribune.com/married-...n-greve-is-making-name-for-himself/436641033/

Go Gophers!!

We need more athletics like Lindsay. "Just go do it." After all why not? We tend to give up to quickly.

Top Bottom