DeLaSalle SG Gabe Kalscheur Commits to the Gophers

DanielHouse

Reaction score
DeLaSalle (Minneapolis, Minn.) shooting guard Gabe Kalscheur announced his commitment to the Gophers on Tuesday evening. He chose Minnesota over offers from Pittsburgh, Bowling Green, Drake, and others. He is ranked as a four-star player, according to ESPN and Scout.

At 6-foot-4, Kalscheur is a dynamite shooter, who drilled 43.6% of his three-point tries in the Nike EYBL circuit. He averaged 17.7 points, shooting 49% from the floor during Howard Pulley league action. Kalscheur is the sixth-ranked player in the state and catapults Minnesota’s 2018 recruiting class to fourth in the country and second in the Big Ten, according to 24/7 Sports.

Kalscheur has played an integral role in DeLaSalle’s stretch of six-straight state title appearances. He provides above average shooting ability and strong moves off the dribble. Kalscheur consistently drills contested jumpers, knocking down baseline jumpers with a hand in his face. He also finishes through contact at the rim and can be a threat behind the arch when guards penetrate and kick to him.

He is one of the most underrated players in the state and joins a 2018 recruiting class with four-star players Daniel Otutu and Jarvis Thomas already in the fold.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VujP3P6aYls" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TPlioeBlf4E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Awesome. Good to get a shooter. Go Gophers!

How can Tre pass up a chance to make MN history - lead MN to the Final 4. We can hope he sees the potential of beng a MN legend and surpass his brother on the pedestal.

I agree! That would elevate this team to the national spotlight of college Bball.

The analysis on here of him being a very good/great defender has me very excited. Shooting helps as wel.

This looks like a 2019 Final Four class...

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Pretty cool video they put together. Similar to the one Jarvis did.

Absolutely love the theme of making Minnesota proud that we've seen with Jarvis' and now Gabe's video

Wow.

I'm so hyped for that recruiting class. 3 MN boys and all highly ranked.

If Tre (personally I put the odds at like 5%) that would be bonkers.

Pitino has done a stunning job with recruiting.

Wow.

I'm so hyped for that recruiting class. 3 MN boys and all highly ranked.

If Tre (personally I put the odds at like 5%) that would be bonkers.

Pitino has done a stunning job with recruiting.

Not to crap in the punch bowl, but I believe Oturu is the only one who is composite top 150. As it stands, I'd say the 2015 and 2016 classes were stronger. If Tre Jones commits, then this would become Pitino's best class yet.

Not to crap in the punch bowl, but I believe Oturu is the only one who is composite top 150. As it stands, I'd say the 2015 and 2016 classes were stronger. If Tre Jones commits, then this would become Pitino's best class yet.

I just want to point out that while being a composite top 150 player is great, Jordan Murphy was 190 and Nate Mason was 209... which would put both of them ranked lower than both Jarvis and Gabe.

I get what you're saying but Thomas and Kalscheur have moved up in the rankings the last 6 months. I wouldn't be surprised if all 3 end in the top 150 composite, with Oturu in the top 50.

Coffey was similar to Oturu I believe (in terms of rankings) so I'd say this class is better than 16 because of the added depth (4 players)

Awesome news! So exciting to see the Gophers lock down the elite in state talent

Hopefully can round out the class with Tre and really make a statement. This class will have a chance to do big things for the Gopher program

This looks like a 2019 Final Four class...

Team Awesome Hair gets awesomer.

Ok, someone said this signing moved Minny up to #4? I know that changes with every signing, but what would signing Tre do? Maybe #1? lol

Think of it, a possible #1 recruiting class watching a team that returns almost everyone, and we all have high hopes for this season, they show up next year with a new Athletes Village and the 2019 Final Four being in their backyard?

I'm not going to say much more, just that the next 2 years+ should be very exciting.

Oh, and I don't think Pitino leaves anytime soon.

Who cares what the rankings are. Pitino likes them as they are all committing before the end of summer. Not like they are spring or late fall fall back options.

No kidding Pitino has to be jazzed, and excited and he should remember for quite a while what a lot of work it took to get here. Just even little things like not topping off rental car gas tanks to please the righteous, some of those complainers are still shaking about that. He will also want to mold his continued creation. If he gets to the top , like say a Big Ten championship and or a final four, then he might get hard to keep. Well, we all want him to get there, so we worry later but not for the next year anyway. The next year after next we maybe start worrying.

I guess I am biased, I'm a big Minnesota homer and a B1G conf homer, too. I just don't get what job would be a better job? The only jobs with better resources and university support are jobs with WAY more pressure to win.

IF, and I mean if, RP brings the U a Conf Title, and possibly a #1 recruiting class, does anyone honestly think we won't pay him well to stay?

I think we are on the verge of breaking into the big time. And maybe not with other sports, but with Football and Basketball, I think gone are the days where we pay the minimum. I think if either Pitino or Fleck succeed and win a Conf Title, I think they will be offered STUPID money.

I think and hope that U alum that in the past didn't care, will all of a sudden start to care.

People were talking about how T. Denny didn't want to give the U any money? Well, why would he? Someone compared him to Trump, lol. Well what might happen if the U hits the big time in basketball? Maybe someone like T. Denny all of a sudden wants to be associated with the U again, so that he can see his name in the news and on TV? I'm just saying, if he donated money last year, who would have cared? Minnesota fans? It could be different if a national audience is keeping an eye on what happens here in Minnesota.

I heard this was going to be a decent class, but I didn't know that with the three commits that they were top 5 / top 10 type class.
That surprises me.

Yes, now it's up to Tre. I can't blame Tre for choosing someplace else, but stars don't align too often to have this many players with home grown talent come together.

Exciting times already with the class, and if Tre doesn't come, looks like Pitino will still find high quality players year after year as he's improving the program.

I thought I smelled something

Well this makes 4 strong recruiting classes in a row. The 2015 class has faced a little attrition but still gives us McBuckets and Murphy. Plus Jarvis adds some value as a recruiter.

Despite where it ranks, this 2018 class is pretty nasty.

I heard this was going to be a decent class, but I didn't know that with the three commits that they were top 5 / top 10 type class.
That surprises me.

Yes, now it's up to Tre. I can't blame Tre for choosing someplace else, but stars don't align too often to have this many players with home grown talent come together.

Exciting times already with the class, and if Tre doesn't come, looks like Pitino will still find high quality players year after year as he's improving the program.

247 has us ranked #14, but seemingly hasn't factored in the Kalscheur commitment yet. We should be #5 once he's factored in. We'll be one of 5 teams nationally with 3 commitments already, along with Sparty, who has 4, and USC, Arkansas, and Notre Dame. Indiana also has 3, but Race Thompson is 2017, so he doesn't contribute to their 2018 class ranking. We should be pretty highly ranked at the present, but we'll certainly drop as more 4 and 5 star kids announce their commitments.

Adding Tre Jones would put us around #10 nationally after all is said and done, going by the 2017 rankings. Getting Eric Hunter as the 4th commit would land us top 20, someone like Zegarowski or Adams would put us in the lower end of the top 25.

No kidding Pitino has to be jazzed, and excited and he should remember for quite a while what a lot of work it took to get here. Just even little things like not topping off rental car gas tanks to please the righteous, some of those complainers are still shaking about that. He will also want to mold his continued creation. If he gets to the top , like say a Big Ten championship and or a final four, then he might get hard to keep. Well, we all want him to get there, so we worry later but not for the next year anyway. The next year after next we maybe start worrying.

Just think how close he came to being fired

Ok, someone said this signing moved Minny up to #4? I know that changes with every signing, but what would signing Tre do? Maybe #1? lol

Think of it, a possible #1 recruiting class watching a team that returns almost everyone, and we all have high hopes for this season, they show up next year with a new Athletes Village and the 2019 Final Four being in their backyard?

I'm not going to say much more, just that the next 2 years+ should be very exciting.

Duke, Kentucky and Kansas are still waiting on the 5* players to commit. No way we finish even in the top 4.

Top Bottom