Sporting News: Is Minnesota's Fleck future Big Ten royalty or another court jester?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per SportingNews:

You've heard of the King in the North, but have you heard about the King of the Toos?

He strolled to the podium in a plaid gold jacket, maroon tie and overstuffed pocket square as the opening act for Day 2 of Big Ten Media Days, and with every mile-in-a-minute-marathon-run-on sentence it's become clear.

Minnesota coach P.J. Fleck is going to shake up the Big Ten West and perhaps the Big Ten in general. To what extent the 36-year-old coach does that in 2017 is the question everybody wants answered next.

Is he the next King in the North or the next court jester?

"I'm the 'King of the Toos,'" Fleck said. "T-O-O, toos. Too small, too short, too inexperienced, too young, whatever. That's who we are, and that's who our staff is."

Too much? Remember the Micro Machines guy? Fleck sounds like that. He says so much so fast that it's difficult to parse it all together. Take another one of his answers from the podium.

"I was always involved in education," Fleck said. "I'm an elementary education major. Taught basically sixth grade social studies. I've loved Ancient Rome. I was brought up and developed to teach 36 sixth graders a lesson plan 36 different ways. If you think of a head football coach and teaching lessons and teaching life and football, you've gotta do it 125 different ways at times to be able to reach and connect with your players. Not only to just reach, but educate. I've always wanted to be a teacher."

What just happened? Seriously, take a breath in there. Fleck's rise is well-documented. He turned bottom-feeder Western Michigan into a 13-1 Group of 5 buster in the Mid-American Conference, a path that ended in the Cotton Bowl Classic.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...phers-2017-outlook/1soc157aemzjb1faei7aru3f4m

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom