Date is set for North Carolina's hearing before NCAA COI

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
August 16 in Nashville.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Cleveland State better get ready to face the music.

"The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky they're going to give Cleveland State another year of probation." - Jerry Tarkanian

Cleveland State better get ready to face the music.

"The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky they're going to give Cleveland State another year of probation." - Jerry Tarkanian

This joke will never get old

Somehow I missed the joke years ago. Obviously Tark is taking a shot at Kentucky I believe, but not sure where Cleveland State is coming in to play. Can someone give me a lead by the hand on this one?

Money has become such a huge factor these days, do any of you really believe UNC will ever get more than a few slaps on the wrist?

What I could see them doing is really coming down hard on their football program, because UNC football doesn't drive ACC football, where UNC bb supposedly drives the ACC bb money making machine.

Somehow I missed the joke years ago. Obviously Tark is taking a shot at Kentucky I believe, but not sure where Cleveland State is coming in to play. Can someone give me a lead by the hand on this one?

“The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky, it’s going to give Cleveland State two more years of probation,” Tarkanian said. It’s a great line, a funny line, but it underscored how the NCAA bullied smaller schools with sanctions while it let marquee (read: money-making) programs slide for the same transgressions.

Tarkanian wrote in his autobiography that he liked transfers from major programs “because they already had their cars paid for.”

The animus began as soon as Tarkanian left a hugely successful junior college career for Long Beach State. As he turned the program into a local power, he wrote guest columns in local paper, the Press-Telegram. Most of his writing shared a universal theme: Taking aim at the NCAA.

Tarkanian was not alone in his belief the NCAA made him a target, but he never stopped fighting them. When his 1990 UNLV team blew out Duke by 30 points in the national title game, Tarkanian demanded the banner read “national champions” – not “NCAA champions,” as is standard.

Link

“The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky, it’s going to give Cleveland State two more years of probation,” Tarkanian said. It’s a great line, a funny line, but it underscored how the NCAA bullied smaller schools with sanctions while it let marquee (read: money-making) programs slide for the same transgressions.

Tarkanian wrote in his autobiography that he liked transfers from major programs “because they already had their cars paid for.”

The animus began as soon as Tarkanian left a hugely successful junior college career for Long Beach State. As he turned the program into a local power, he wrote guest columns in local paper, the Press-Telegram. Most of his writing shared a universal theme: Taking aim at the NCAA.

Tarkanian was not alone in his belief the NCAA made him a target, but he never stopped fighting them. When his 1990 UNLV team blew out Duke by 30 points in the national title game, Tarkanian demanded the banner read “national champions” – not “NCAA champions,” as is standard.

Link

Thanks

Money has become such a huge factor these days, do any of you really believe UNC will ever get more than a few slaps on the wrist?

What I could see them doing is really coming down hard on their football program, because UNC football doesn't drive ACC football, where UNC bb supposedly drives the ACC bb money making machine.

I want to believe the NCAA will treat UNC the same way they would a less powerful program but agree that odds are they will just get some minimal punishment that won't really affect anything going forward.

Right. I mean, it's not like the NCAA in the recent past punished USC football, or Michigan basketball, or Penn St. football, or Syracuse basketball and football, or Miami football and basketball, or...

Right. I mean, it's not like the NCAA in the recent past punished USC football, or Michigan basketball, or Penn St. football, or Syracuse basketball and football, or Miami football and basketball, or...
Yes, they "punished," but one can argue the punishments didn't fit the crimes.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yeah, what pregameeatblarney or whatever his name is said.

I did say "a couple slaps on the wrist" and I did also say that they might really go after their football program.

And not sure how hard they went after USC, but it didn't seem to keep USC down too long? They may not be as good as they were, but their punishment was light enough that USC still claims a Title or 2 that the NCAA supposedly stripped from them. Michigan's bb program may have been punished, but as good as they were, they still had their football and IU was the real marquee team in the Big Ten at that time. PSU football HAD to be punished. Cheating is one thing, getting money is one thing, but pedophilia is something that makes even criminals cringe. Send a cop killer, a wife killer, a serial killer and a pedophile to the same prison, on the same day, and see which one gets beat up or knifed first. My money is on the pedophile. And Syracuse is no where near elite status in football, and whatever punishment they got for bb is what I would call a slap on the wrist. And finally, Miami basketball is not even close to elite status, and what hurts Miami football probably benefits both FSU and Florida, so who knows?

I'm not saying its an exact science, or that I am an expert on the subject, I am just saying that they seem to let money issues affect their judgements more than it should.

UCLA shouldn't be able to claim all of their titles in cbb with former players admitting publicly that several players including themselves were getting paid by a booster.

And how else do you explain UNC going so long without being punished?

Hey, I hope you are right dpo, I have rarely wanted to be wrong more than right now. I look forward to you telling me, I told you so, after they come down incredibly hard on UNC.

I would hope the punishment would be commensurate with the infraction. They had academic fraud for four times as long as Minnesota did. So I hope they get 4x the penalty. So if we gave up 2 schollies and post-season ban for 4 years they should sacrifice 4 scholies for 8 years and be ineligible until Roy retires or ten years whichever comes first.

I should be in charge of the NCAA.

All their present players should be allowed to vacate their scholarships and transfer immediately and all commits should be released.

I would hope the punishment would be commensurate with the infraction. They had academic fraud for four times as long as Minnesota did. So I hope they get 4x the penalty. So if we gave up 2 schollies and post-season ban for 4 years they should sacrifice 4 scholies for 8 years and be ineligible until Roy retires or ten years whichever comes first.

I should be in charge of the NCAA.

All their present players should be allowed to vacate their scholarships and transfer immediately and all commits should be released.

Your too soft, forgot to say they have to forfeit all games played between 1901-2017 and all titles. Micheal Jordan also should be retroactively ineligible for the NBA draft and Chicago needs to vacate all the games they won with him.

The John Wooden UCLA dynasty is a good classic case of NCAA selective enforcement, when contrasted not just the treatment of the Cleveland States, but more prominent teams as well.

We in Minnesota do not need to look any further than the treatment the post Bill Mussellman 1976-1977 Gopher team received from the NCAA. Dutcher had an absolute powerhouse that beat NCAA Champ. Marquette by 20 and lost only3 games, but had the book thrown at them by the NCAA for a bunch of very small transgressions, meanwhile Wooden's bagman Sam Gilbert is giving cars and large amounts of cash to Kareem and all the stars. I guess they need to edit the Pyramid of Success and re-release it, with the part about paying off the recruits to make sure they get to UCLA.

Great story about Sam Gilbert and John Wooden: https://wildcatbluenation.com/2013/09/30/what-they-dont-tell-you-about-coach-john-wooden/

Top Bottom