Detroit News: Minnesota's Fleck cuts to the chase: Let's get winning

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Detroit News:

The Big Ten must have been up to something early Tuesday morning at the second session of its football media days.

Starting bright and early, the first coach at the podium was Minnesota’s P.J. Fleck and it didn’t take long for the former Western Michigan coach to infuse a little energy into the room.

Complete with a newly shaved head thanks to losing a bet to his wife, Heather, Fleck flashed his familiar high-energy style as he talked about how humbled he was to get a shot to be a head coach in the Big Ten, one that gets underway in earnest when preseason camp opens next week.

“This is the honeymoon stage, and it's coming down to the end here,” Fleck said. “It's been a fabulous six months. I've enjoyed that and I just want everybody in here to understand how honored I am to be the head football coach at the University of Minnesota. I think I speak for our entire coaching staff, the ability and the honor it is to coach in the Big Ten, one of the most prestigious conferences academically, athletically, socially and spiritually in the country is really a dream come true for a lot of our guys.”

Fleck’s high-octane style came in handy at Western Michigan as he went 1-11 in his first season with the Broncos in 2013 before capping things with a 13-1 mark last season, the only loss coming to Wisconsin in the Cotton Bowl.

Whether Fleck’s fire works in Minneapolis remains to be seen. He admitted there were some wide-eyed looks when he first met with this team, but he also said it’s exactly what he expected.

“We had one side of the room that was like, ‘No way. I’m not gonna be here. He’s not for me. This is way too intense,’” Fleck explained. “Another part of the room said, ‘I wanna feel him out, see him for a few weeks and see if this is real and consistent.’ Then the other group was wide-eyed and bushy-tailed saying, ‘Yup, this is my guy. I’m in.’

“It happened the same way at Western Michigan. Any time any coach takes over, caffeinated or not, he gets those three responses.”

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...-fleck-cuts-chase-lets-get-winning/508376001/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom