Why P.J. Fleck wanted Ed Warinner at Minnesota, and how Greg Schiano played a part

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Cleveland.com:

Ed Warinner was not fired by Ohio State. That's what the Buckeyes will tell you. But P.J. Fleck knew he was available, and thought he had a shot at landing Urban Meyer's former offensive coordinator.

Think about that for a second: The head coach at Minnesota thought he had a shot at an offensive coordinator who two years prior had helped the Buckeyes to a national championship. The coaching world is weird sometimes.

So Warinner is with the Gophers, coaching the offensive line for the Big Ten's newest media darling, and the one of the most enthusiastic humans you'll find anywhere in Fleck. Warinner's helping row the boat.

"Any time you get a chance to hire a guy like Ed Warinner you jump all over it," Fleck told cleveland.com last month. "Not just because he's a phenomenal offensive line coach, he's an incredible person, a wonderful coordinator. He's been at the top, and developed some of the best talent in the country. He can recruit the state of Ohio for you.

"There are a lot of pieces to the puzzle that fit, it's about teaching, relationships, recruiting, where do they recruit -- and does that fit your plan? Ed fit my plan perfectly, so I'm glad he's here."

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/2017/07/how_greg_schiano_helped_pj_fle.html

Go Gophers!!

My understanding was from Ohio St. fans was that Ed was involved in play calling or at least work beyond the OL. Things did not go well for those aspects and Ohio St. wanted him to go back to just OL and Ed wanted to continue beyond just OL.

I was pretty pleased to get him involved here as OL coach, I kinda assume he is involved in more than that, or has been provided some hope he will be later.

Yeah I get the feeling that Ed of all the assistant coaches well be working the closest with Coach Roc. They can bounce things off each other and that helps Roc be a more effective OC. I think the program is fortunate to have Ed on this staff.

Yeah I get the feeling that Ed of all the assistant coaches well be working the closest with Coach Roc. They can bounce things off each other and that helps Roc be a more effective OC. I think the program is fortunate to have Ed on this staff.

Jerry and TC always raved at Ohio St.'s OL play. I'm very happy to have Ed too, he was the most noteworthy coaching addition outside PJ to me.

I've said it before, he is a 5 star recruit who happens to be a coach. Ed Warinner will make a huge difference in helping the offensive line take the next step forward.

I've said it before, he is a 5 star recruit who happens to be a coach. Ed Warinner will make a huge difference in helping the offensive line take the next step forward.

Low, Mid, or High 5-Star?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am really looking forward to seeing Warinner help the O-line take the next step and help MN develop something that resembles a passing game and creating a balanced offense

Top Bottom