STrib: How Jerry Kill ended up in coaching again, at Rutgers with Chris Ash

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chip:

Kill’s health improved during his year at Kansas State. Ash said he spoke at length with Kill about his health before making the hire.

“That was a big part of the conversations,” said Ash, preparing for his second season at Rutgers. “We couldn’t move forward if he didn’t feel comfortable or I didn’t feel comfortable about his health. He’s in great shape. The time off allowed him to get back into shape. Develop some healthy habits in terms of sleep and eating and things like that. He’s in a great spot right now.”

Kill will try to help Rutgers improve on its 2-10 record last season in the East. The Scarlet Knights are not scheduled to play Kill’s former team until 2019.

Being a coordinator and not head coach might take some adjustment for Kill, who hasn’t served as a coordinator since 1993 at Pittsburg State.

“I’ve never coached on offense before,” Ash said. “I have an idea of what I want it to look like and what I think we need to do to be successful with the players that we have and the division that we play in. But he’s the offensive coordinator. We have a lot of conversations about what we’re going to do and certain things we need to emphasize and personnel decisions. But at the end of the day, Jerry has been hired to run the offense.”

http://www.startribune.com/how-jerr...ng-again-at-rutgers-with-chris-ash/436543443/

Go Gophers!!

The day he retired O'Brien I think said he would bet Jerry would end up coaching again.

Dude is just a football guy, it is who he is, he has to do it.

ol' jer is a ball coach. it's in his blood, it's who he is.

I'm looking forward to seeing what his offensive scheme looks like. Kill's scheme with the Gophers was pretty vanilla. If he tries to do that at Rutgers, he won't be an OC for long.

RUTM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ash is hoping the fans will be so bored watching the offense they won't notice how bad the team is.
This still seems like a headline from the Onion......Jerry Kill OC.

Ash is hoping the fans will be so bored watching the offense they won't notice how bad the team is.
This still seems like a headline from the Onion......Jerry Kill OC.

Honestly asking - weren't people impressed by the offense when he was at Northern Illinois? I seem to recall people saying it was fairly creative and innovative.

I honestly wonder what happened between there and here. It's like they forgot to pack 3/4 of the playbook and just said "this'll be good enough!".

I do agree Kill being hired as an OC after how consistently bad the U of M offense was during his stint is one of the greater ironies out there.

Top Bottom