Mike Hlas: P.J. Fleck is Minnesota's new reality show

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Hlas:

In 1938, Harold Stassen was elected governor of Minnesota when he was 31. He went on to run for president nine times, never to win the Republican Party’s nomination.

Minnesota Golden Gophers football has been the Harold Stassen of the Big Ten. It sends a team into the conference campaign every year, but never becomes champion and seldom is taken seriously as a contender.

It’s been 50 years since the Gophers got as much as a share of the Big Ten title, and they haven’t been to the Rose Bowl since the 1961 season.

While neighbors Wisconsin and Iowa have enjoyed what new Minnesota coach P.J. Fleck calls “cultural sustainability” over the years, the Gophers have been faces in the Big Ten crowd. They have gone to bowls the last five years, but who remembers them?

Enter Fleck, a 36-year-old human exclamation point. I slowed my tape recorder to 75 percent speed to transcribe the comments Fleck made Tuesday at the Big Ten’s media day. It still sounded like he was at 150 percent.

This is a man hired to make Gophers football important in the Twin Cities and Minnesota, a tall order over the decades.

“We love that challenge,” Fleck said. “We love that chaos. We love the dirty water, we call it.”

Hey, Fleck is fighting more than Minnesota’s conference brethren. He’s trying to overcome a half-century of irrelevancy in an NFL market.

Being a dynamo probably is a good start. But ultimately, it will take a coach with both oars in the water.

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/hlas-pj-fleck-is-minnesotas-new-reality-show-20170725

Go Gophers!!

The reality show is Being P.J. Fleck it is a four part documentary that will premier Thursday, August 8th at 11:30 on the Big 10 Network. Channel 610 on Direct. Set you tivo or whatever an enjoy the show. I cannot remember a Minnesota coach having a National Broadcast reach.

P.J. Fleck is must watch TV.

Per Twitter - Starting Aug. 2nd, ESPNU will air a four-part series chronicling the new @GopherFootball head coach.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

The reality show is Being P.J. Fleck it is a four part documentary that will premier Thursday, August 8th at 11:30 on the Big 10 Network. Channel 610 on Direct. Set you tivo or whatever an enjoy the show. I cannot remember a Minnesota coach having a National Broadcast reach.
So which is it? ESPN U on the 2nd, or B10 network on the 8th?

So which is it? ESPN U on the 2nd, or B10 network on the 8th?

Both. episodes are 1st-run on ESPN U, and will be re-broadcast later on BTN. This is the first time I've seen a suggestion on how BTN will handle it. The August 8th date suggests that each episode will run about a week later on BTN. So, if (like me) you don't have ESPN U on your cable package (too cheap to pay extra for a sports tier to get 1 freakin' channel I want), you will have to wait a little bit and will be able to see the show on BTN. Or don't watch it. It's a free country.

Both. episodes are 1st-run on ESPN U, and will be re-broadcast later on BTN. This is the first time I've seen a suggestion on how BTN will handle it. The August 8th date suggests that each episode will run about a week later on BTN. So, if (like me) you don't have ESPN U on your cable package (too cheap to pay extra for a sports tier to get 1 freakin' channel I want), you will have to wait a little bit and will be able to see the show on BTN. Or don't watch it. It's a free country.
Ok great. Thanks. I have both of those channels. I looked through my guide & didn't see it on ESPN U, so maybe they haven't updated that day's lineup yet.

Ok great. Thanks. I have both of those channels. I looked through my guide & didn't see it on ESPN U, so maybe they haven't updated that day's lineup yet.

It isn't on my ESPNU guide either (DirecTV), but I found the show on a search and was able to choose "record future episodes". FYI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom