Alabama DT transfer visiting

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

per the Montgomery Advertiser in June:

Alabama reserve defensive lineman O.J. Smith announced his intentions to transfer Thursday, the second backup defensive player to leave the program this summer.

“I want to thank The University Of Alabama for being home to me for the last 3 years,” Smith, a redshirt junior, wrote in a post on his Instagram page. “After talking with My family and Coach (Nick) Saban I have decided to transfer and open up recruiting.

"I want to thank Coach Saban and his whole staff for helping me get better everyday and also I want to thank all of my teammates! I will never forget the bond we have and will always stay in touch.”

A Bossier City, La., native who played in the 2014 Under Armour All-America Game as a four-star prospect, Smith recorded two tackles in his Crimson Tide career. Smith was not listed on the official participation report from Alabama’s 2017 A-Day Spring Game.

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com...e-lineman-o-j-smith-leaves-alabama/380610001/

Go Gophers!!

This would be a good transfer. I hope he finds a good home here.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Maybe I missed it in the article somewhere...would he be eligible to play right away?

This would be a little like the Matz Stockman transfer for the basketball team and our lack of posts next year. We are going to have an extreme need for DT next year, so even though it's a two year scholarship for one year of production, it's probably worth it.

This would be huge. We will have such a desperate need for bodies at DT next season.

What's the deal on this kid - injury, buried on talent chart? Our recent track record of transfers from Ohio State, Florida hasn't been phenomenal.

Would be nice, although dude's offer list doesn't look like what you'd expect for say a high level bama guy, maybe he was a depth dude by design.

Alabama, under Saban, has a history of producing outstanding defensive tackles. It's a pretty safe bet, that after three years in the progam, he's a solid player. Saban would have run him of much quicker if he wasn't pretty good.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

If he was recruited by Saban, the guy is a legit talent. Nice work by Fleck.

That is HUGE for our depth next year. Even if he's not what you'd typically expect from a 4-star, Bama DT, we need bodies there that can contribute next year. This achieves that.

would he count under the 2017 class?

I don't have any inside info/subscriptions, but my understanding from what Fleck has talked about is that this would be a 2017 scholarship. Then he would be eligible to use his final eligibility in 2018, when we have a massive hole at DT. Win-win for all parties IMO.

I don't have any inside info/subscriptions, but my understanding from what Fleck has talked about is that this would be a 2017 scholarship. Then he would be eligible to use his final eligibility in 2018, when we have a massive hole at DT. Win-win for all parties IMO.

I believe you are correct.

Top Bottom