Connor Mayes Retires/Quits Football

Johnnyboy18

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I thought it was TCU as well. His dad went there and they were pissed when he signed with us. Good luck to him in whatever he does next.

I wonder if the fire for football was, in part, squelched because of comparisons between the father's CFB experience and the son's CFB experience. Even unintentional comparisons can be an burdensome.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I'm going to guess he transferred to TCU for his final year, was planning on playing, then the playing time wasn't what he imagined and probably just decided to focus on school for his last year

I'm going to guess he transferred to TCU for his final year, was planning on playing, then the playing time wasn't what he imagined and probably just decided to focus on school for his last year

That would be my guess too. I rewatched the bowl game recently, man he had like 8 false starts.

I'll never forgive the previous staff for burning his redshirt...

He was not eligible for this year due to undergrad transfer rules. TCU graduates most of their Guards and Center after this year, and I'm sure he thought he'd have a chance to start in 2018. Maybe that seemed like a long way away.

Or maybe he's lost the passion to play football like he said and it doesn't have anything to do with redshirts or depth charts or any other reason. Interests change.

Or maybe he's lost the passion to play football like he said and it doesn't have anything to do with redshirts or depth charts or any other reason. Interests change.

Calling Mayes a liar works better for some people. They can then blame the previous coaching staff for his quitting instead.

Working out and only being able to practice rather than play can't be very appealing to a kid who's been on the playing field for awhile now.

Good luck to him and thanks for representing the U.

In Sawvel's podcast with Nadine he mentioned a couple of seniors on the 2012 team that showed up every practice and played hard. He was impressed with that. Sometimes you have to suck it up and honor your commitments.

In Sawvel's podcast with Nadine he mentioned a couple of seniors on the 2012 team that showed up every practice and played hard. He was impressed with that. Sometimes you have to suck it up and honor your commitments.

These aren't at all the same situation. If he has lost interest in playing college football and dealing with all of the physical and time requirements that are inherent with that then why should he have to stick around? He's not doing the team any favors by taking up a roster spot. I can't imagine any coach wanting a player who has little to no interest in playing anymore to take up a scholarship.

Some posters here are having a hard time understanding that interests truly change. It happens all the times to people in all walks of life.

Football is a tough game, and a major time commitment - practices, weight-lifting, film sessions, etc. Not to mention the physical demands it puts on the body - especially for an offensive lineman who is getting hit on every play.

Bottom line - if you are not 100% committed to playing, you should not be out there. If your heart is not in it, then you're just going through the motions, and that's not fair to your teammates.

I've talked to more than one athlete who said they got burned out on sports - and I'm talking 19 and 20-year-olds. I knew a girl who got a D1 Volleyball scholarship - lasted one year, then moved back home. I asked her what happened, and she said "It was like a job. It just wasn't fun anymore." It happens. And these days, with the year-round emphasis on sports, I wouldn't be surprised if the "burn-out" factor becomes more common. These kids never get a break anymore. I live in rural MN, and there are kids I know who were juggling legion baseball, summer basketball, and 7-on-7 football at the same time this summer. When I was in HS, summer was summer. you might have the rare kid who went to a camp or a clinic, but for the most part, you got a break from organized sports. now, it never ends.

Calling Mayes a liar works better for some people. They can then blame the previous coaching staff for his quitting instead.

Working out and only being able to practice rather than play can't be very appealing to a kid who's been on the playing field for awhile now.

Good luck to him and thanks for representing the U.

Nobody called him a liar. He lost the passion. Take him at his word. Part of that passion might have been a chance to play in the NFL, or be a star or starter. Do I really want to go thru this grind for 2 years for an outside chance of starting? No, I don't have the passion. Of course, maybe he thinks he would for sure start and maybe play in the NFL, but he's just burned out. Could be any reason. But no one called him a liar. Just speculated on what contributed to that lost passion.

Football is a tough game, and a major time commitment - practices, weight-lifting, film sessions, etc. Not to mention the physical demands it puts on the body - especially for an offensive lineman who is getting hit on every play.

Bottom line - if you are not 100% committed to playing, you should not be out there. If your heart is not in it, then you're just going through the motions, and that's not fair to your teammates.

I've talked to more than one athlete who said they got burned out on sports - and I'm talking 19 and 20-year-olds. I knew a girl who got a D1 Volleyball scholarship - lasted one year, then moved back home. I asked her what happened, and she said "It was like a job. It just wasn't fun anymore." It happens. And these days, with the year-round emphasis on sports, I wouldn't be surprised if the "burn-out" factor becomes more common. These kids never get a break anymore. I live in rural MN, and there are kids I know who were juggling legion baseball, summer basketball, and 7-on-7 football at the same time this summer. When I was in HS, summer was summer. you might have the rare kid who went to a camp or a clinic, but for the most part, you got a break from organized sports. now, it never ends.

My niece was in that boat, and she's 17. She was a really good soccer player (don't know if she would have played next level, but would have been a starter in HS) and she just got sick of it. She quit HS soccer and played club soccer since she didn't have to play year round. Even that, she started making excuses not to go to practice, and was pretty much celebrating her last game ever.

It might have been one thing (playing time, scholarship, etc.) or a hundred small things that added up to the point he didn't want to play. I wish him nothing but the best.

Choosing to play or not play is a very personal decision. I've never been in that position so I can't really speak to it. But if he truly wasn't in to it, in my book he did the right thing by walking away.

So true. I know several kids who stopped playing after just one or two years in college(swimming, diving, hockey, baseball). It was a job and they had no time to enjoy school. Also, some coaches put a lot of pressure on the kids to not take a tough major. They wanted them to spend all of their time a sport that wasn't going anywhere after they graduated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So true. I know several kids who stopped playing after just one or two years in college(swimming, diving, hockey, baseball). It was a job and they had no time to enjoy school. Also, some coaches put a lot of pressure on the kids to not take a tough major. They wanted them to spend all of their time a sport that wasn't going anywhere after they graduated.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I made that argument a few months ago and got a lot of push back. There are some very smart kids that can handle a very difficult major and playing football, but it's really tough. But then again, I think most colleges are offering watered down degrees when students can't get into the tougher programs, so they can keep enrollment up.

I thought it was TCU as well. His dad went there and they were pissed when he signed with us. Good luck to him in whatever he does next.

Not sure where you're getting that (or even that you're wrong) but I sat with his parents at one of those Gopher lunches at Jax Cafe back when Alex Mayes was a freshman and Connor was a committed recruit (very nice people, btw). At that time they seemed 100% on board with Minnesota and were excited about their kids' futures. (the 'pissed' part - I know his dad went there)

I'll never forgive the previous staff for burning his redshirt...

We should probably never redshirt anybody, just in case they decide to transfer away and retire from football with eligibility on the table.

Top Bottom