Picture of Gophers football 2017 team poster

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Are we giving away our play calling on our own schedule poster?

;)

I get it, PJ is the marketing chip for this season (and potentially longer depending on how many wins he's getting) and I'm OK with that given coaches are the enduring stars of college football. But I wish the visual emphasis was on the players, stadium and university for the poster. I'll still grab one for my cubicle at the State Fair.

Other than the Mich maize color of Fleck's quarter-zip, I like it.

I get it, PJ is the marketing chip for this season (and potentially longer depending on how many wins he's getting) and I'm OK with that given coaches are the enduring stars of college football. But I wish the visual emphasis was on the players, stadium and university for the poster. I'll still grab one for my cubicle at the State Fair.

We've done the players and stadiums in recent years...

I just wish these posters, hell even program art were more artistic. I see old programs and with various styles and etc and they look great. This stuff we do these days seems like paint by numbers. It's polished and all, but it's all the same.

There's something subtle (or sometimes not-so-subtle) in which Fleck's always a little bigger than the team in marketing materials, the focus on his quotes and sayings as touchstones for the program, the ESPN series title, in the way "Row the Boat" visually trumps Ski-U-Mah in the mashed up branding, etc.

Even though he's what we're selling at this moment and this program needs attention, it's culturally different for Minnesota. This is either going to go really well or spectacularly badly with the fanbase, depending on how the results come in. We'll embrace Fleck as long as he's winning but I can see his persona becoming hugely unpopular if it's all about him and we're going 4-8. Or even 8-4.

There's something subtle (or sometimes not-so-subtle) in which Fleck's always a little bigger than the team in marketing materials, the focus on his quotes and sayings as touchstones for the program, the ESPN series title, in the way "Row the Boat" visually trumps Ski-U-Mah in the mashed up branding, etc.

Even though he's what we're selling at this moment and this program needs attention, it's culturally different for Minnesota. This is either going to go really well or spectacularly badly with the fanbase, depending on how the results come in. We'll embrace Fleck as long as he's winning but I can see his persona becoming hugely unpopular if it's all about him and we're going 4-8. Or even 8-4.

If they win, everyone loves it. If they lose... really doesn't matter what they do they'll hate whatever it is.

That would explain some things. Damn Limegrover! No wonder Mitch threw those INTs after Limey dialed up a hand battered fish and chips.

He said Applebee's. That would be frozen fish and chips.

Is there a doubt?

I'll state the obvious and say there are a lot of college football programs where the coach is the face of the football program and why shouldn't they be, that partly what they are being paid for. Kill was the face of MN football, just in a more subtle way. But no two ways about it, Gopher athletics is promoting PJ and he has no problem being the voice and face. A big departure from the "Aw Shucks" meme that most Minnesotans gravitate toward.

I'll state the obvious and say there are a lot of college football programs where the coach is the face of the football program and why shouldn't they be, that partly what they are being paid for. Kill was the face of MN football, just in a more subtle way. But no two ways about it, Gopher athletics is promoting PJ and he has no problem being the voice and face. A big departure from the "Aw Shucks" meme that most Minnesotans gravitate toward.

I don't even think Kill was "more subtle" - he was just different. His schtick was perceived to be more aligned with Minnesotan's than Fleck's more hard charging style. But both coaches made it about them, it's just our fan base and MN culture was more open to Kill's style.

Just beat wisconsin, it's time.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom