Delany says BT can have FCS teams on schedule

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

SCHEDULES CAN HAVE FCS OPPONENTS

Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany said Monday the conference will relax rules to remove Football Championship Subdivision opponents from school’s non-conference schedules.

“We did not anticipate the problems that some of our schools would have in years that they only had four conference (home) games,” Delany said. “It was very difficult for them to get three FBS opponents on to their schedules if they were looking for seven home games.

“So, we have modified it. And what we will do is allow our schools at least the opportunity to schedule an FCS game in years where they have four conference (home) games.”

The Big Ten introduced nine-game schedules in 2016, with teams alternating between four and five conference home games. The Gophers will have four home conference games in 2018 and 2020.

The Gophers’ only previously scheduled FCS foe is South Dakota State in 2019.

Minnesota has announced home-and-home series against Brigham Young (2020, 2025), Colorado (2021-22) and Mississippi State (2025-26), but no other opponents are set beyond 2019.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/07/2...-ten-preseason-watch-list-for-seventh-season/

Go Gophers!!

I'm still thinking that this is a move to tell the Group of 5 conferences that the B1G will not overpay for buy games. The G-5 knew that without the FCS threat, that they could ask for the moon from B1G schools and they would be forced to pay.

They'll switch back when we go to 10 conference games.

Actually, I doubt it. The schools want 7 home games. If they have a 10 game schedule that would mean both NC games would have to be at home. How many G5 schools are going to say yes to all their NC games being on the road (assuming other Power 5 conferences do the same)? My guess is if they ever do go 10 games, it'll be more FCS, not less.

I'm not a fan, but I get it. I hope they can talk enough G5 schools to keep coming here we don't have to schedule FCS, but I can see it happening...

As a season ticket holder, I have no interest in seeing ANY FCS team on the schedule. Zip. Nada.

I'm still thinking that this is a move to tell the Group of 5 conferences that the B1G will not overpay for buy games. The G-5 knew that without the FCS threat, that they could ask for the moon from B1G schools and they would be forced to pay.

As a season ticket holder, I have no interest in seeing ANY FCS team on the schedule. Zip. Nada.

Also a season ticket holder. I agree with both of these comments. I give my seats to my brother for one game each season. If we schedule a FCS team that is going to be the game he gets. :)

I go but jv doesn't interest me

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lco9Ki-5qfQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Top Bottom