Pioneer Press: P.J. Fleck: Gophers’ defense will be personnel-based this season

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

Gophers coach P.J. Fleck and defensive coordinator Robb Smith have plans to incorporate sophomore safety Antoine Winfield Jr. in an outside linebacker-type position during passing downs.

“I’m not saying he’s a true Sam (strong-side linebacker), but he’s going to be playing that type of position in those types of schemes because he’s the best athlete on the defensive side of the ball,” Fleck told the Pioneer Press last month.

“He’s phenomenal. He’s just a terrific worker and has been a terrific person every day that I’ve been here, and one of the leaders that we’ve had on this football team. We have to put him in a position he can be incredibly successful.”

Fleck wants to his defense to play a 4-3 front (four defensive linemen with three linebackers), but with the personnel he has inherited, Minnesota will use more 3-4 during this season. Moving Winfield closer to the line of scrimmage is one of those adjustments.

“Instead of having our system implanted on the players, this year it’s got to be, ‘What do we have? And how can we manipulate our scheme to make all the players fit?’ ” Fleck said. “Until we get to the point where we will be able to recruit to our system.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/07/2...-ten-preseason-watch-list-for-seventh-season/

Go Gophers!!

per Greder:

Gophers coach P.J. Fleck and defensive coordinator Robb Smith have plans to incorporate sophomore safety Antoine Winfield Jr. in an outside linebacker-type position during passing downs.

“I’m not saying he’s a true Sam (strong-side linebacker), but he’s going to be playing that type of position in those types of schemes because he’s the best athlete on the defensive side of the ball,” Fleck told the Pioneer Press last month.

“He’s phenomenal. He’s just a terrific worker and has been a terrific person every day that I’ve been here, and one of the leaders that we’ve had on this football team. We have to put him in a position he can be incredibly successful.”

Fleck wants to his defense to play a 4-3 front (four defensive linemen with three linebackers), but with the personnel he has inherited, Minnesota will use more 3-4 during this season. Moving Winfield closer to the line of scrimmage is one of those adjustments.

“Instead of having our system implanted on the players, this year it’s got to be, ‘What do we have? And how can we manipulate our scheme to make all the players fit?’ ” Fleck said. “Until we get to the point where we will be able to recruit to our system.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/07/2...-ten-preseason-watch-list-for-seventh-season/

Go Gophers!!

Interesting. Where dos this leave someone like say Cashman or Huff in those passing downs. They have been phenomenal in those spots. Wouldn't Winfield be out there anyway as our best safety? Or corner/safety/nickle hybrid?

per Greder:

Go Gophers!!

+1

I'm certainly going to trust the coaches here, but am surprised when I hear about arguably our best defensive player playing a different position (on any play) than the one he played in becoming arguably our best defensive player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm certainly going to trust the coaches here, but am surprised when I hear about arguably our best defensive player playing a different position (on any play) than the one he played in becoming arguably our best defensive player.

And not only that, he is being moved to a position that arguably is our deepest and most talented position group....linebackers... WTF?

Winfield is already awesome where he is... and aren't we already strong at linebacker?

Smith better know what he's doing...

Pretty sure it's just a nicole type alignment, he played it in spring.

I think it is more of a nickel D, with Winfield playing a hybrid role in passing downs. It takes advantage of his ability to cover and great tackling...if they run out of a 3-wide set.

Interesting. Where dos this leave someone like say Cashman or Huff in those passing downs. They have been phenomenal in those spots. Wouldn't Winfield be out there anyway as our best safety? Or corner/safety/nickle hybrid?

I believe Fleck stated Cashman is being moved to D-Line

Top Bottom