STrib: U: where sports leaders and coaches all are white, looks to revive diversity

Please note - the Strib story included the AD and top athletic department assistants in its grid of positions. The last minority AD at the U was McKinley Boston - 18 years ago. The U has one minority in a top position in the athletic department.

And, if you read the article, several former black players and their parents were quoted about what they believed to be a lack of communication with black athletes. Gaelin Elmore said black athletes didn't feel that anyone in the athletic department understood some of the issues that black athletes deal with. So, if you're going to have black athletes on campus, it would seem to me to be good business to have someone in the athletic department who could fill that role.

Also seems to me from a recruiting standpoint that you really do not want the idea to get out that the U of MN is unfriendly or unwelcoming to minority athletes. with social media these days, only need one or two disgruntled athletes to get something started, and then it's out there.

From NCAA.org (Racial and Gender Report). Most recent that I could find was published in 2013. It's a 66 page pdf that can be found online.

The assistant coach position is often a stepping-stone to future head coaching positions.
In Division I, African-Americans held 38.5 percent of assistant coaching positions in men’s basketball and
25.5 percent of the assistant coach positions in football during the 2011-12 year, slight decreases from
2010-11 percentages of 39.2 percent and 25.6 percent respectively. Only 0.8 percent of Division I
college baseball assistant coaches were African-American in 2011-12, a decrease from 1.4 percent in
2010-11. Latinos held five percent of assistant coaching positions in Division I baseball in 2011-12,
increasing from 4.5 percent in 2010-11; Latinos held only one percent of the same position in basketball
and football in Division I in 2011-12.

Thanks for the info. It would make sense to me that the head coach percentages were closer to these numbers. I'll take a look at the link when I have more time.

Edit: I'd be curious what these numbers were say 10-15 years ago. If the number of African-American assistants has grown, could it just be a matter of time for us to see more as head coaches? Because it does take time for someone to become a head coach in Division I (guys like Pitino are not the norm). I could be way off base, just a thought.

What is the percent of black football/basketball players at the Division 1 level? Is that percentage equally found in the administrative ranks of those sports?

Playing and coaching are two different things. I don't think the percentages necessarily need to be equal.

Playing and coaching are two different things. I don't think the percentages necessarily need to be equal.
True, however, the ratio is heavily weighted for white coaches and white admins. One must be skeptical of a good ole' boys club at the administrative levels and coaching levels.

True, however, the ratio is heavily weighted for white coaches and white admins. One must be skeptical of a good ole' boys club at the administrative levels and coaching levels.

Does anyone actually believe that some applicants for Head coaches, assistant coaches, A.D., administrative assistants, etc... are actually rejected because they are non-white? I certainly don't. They are rejected because they aren't as qualified as some other applicant who just happened to be white. Enough said.

Does anyone actually believe that some applicants for Head coaches, assistant coaches, A.D., administrative assistants, etc... are actually rejected because they are non-white? I certainly don't. They are rejected because they aren't as qualified as some other applicant who just happened to be white. Enough said.
Rule #1 in business and politics. When all things are even, it's who you know that counts. So...yes, there are many qualified black men and women who don't get the job because they don't have the same networks to grease the skids.

Rule #1 in business and politics. When all things are even, it's who you know that counts. So...yes, there are many qualified black men and women who don't get the job because they don't have the same networks to grease the skids.

What is your proposed solution? Complaining without offering viable solutions is whining. Title IX style quotas? How would the numbers be worked out? Do they have to be similar to the population at large, the student body, the department, a specific team? Some other metric? At what point do these regulations sunset? When median incomes between races align? Some other metric?

I'm not trolling, I'm genuinely curious about solutions. The devil is always in the details. Let's hear it.

What is your proposed solution? Complaining without offering viable solutions is whining. Title IX style quotas? How would the numbers be worked out? Do they have to be similar to the population at large, the student body, the department, a specific team? Some other metric? At what point do these regulations sunset? When median incomes between races align? Some other metric?

I'm not trolling, I'm genuinely curious about solutions. The devil is always in the details. Let's hear it.
How about we fire all white administrators hire all black administrators and then see who they hire as assistants...
Then we could listen to you whine. [emoji41]
I am pointing out the facts. Rooting out the good ole' boys club will never happen. But, at least I won't deny the reality.

How about we fire all white administrators hire all black administrators and then see who they hire as assistants...
Then we could listen to you whine. [emoji41]
I am pointing out the facts. Rooting out the good ole' boys club will never happen. But, at least I won't deny the reality.

I'm genuinely curious who Brewster knew, Kill, Mason, Teague, Maturi, Coyle. Who did they know that got them the jobs? Or is this an example of white privilege rather than merit?

I'm genuinely curious who Brewster knew, Kill, Mason, Teague, Maturi, Coyle. Who did they know that got them the jobs? Or is this an example of white privilege rather than merit?

Whole topic aside.... wait how did anyone pick Brewster as a prospective HC?

I can't imagine who thought that with his resume.

Sounds like white privilege mixed into good ole' boy.

Brewster knew Mack Brown, and he had the gift of gab... Maturi "needed" a guy to sell the program. Brewster sold himself. He read what Maturi and the search committee wanted. Of course all of this is opinion, but Strong it appears that Strong thought the U wanted the best coach. That the committee wanted a proven candidate. Again I liked Brewster. I also know that he made an effort to have a diverse staff. I don't have a problem with Brewster. I just cannot buy that if someone is comparing resumes that they pick Brewster over Strong.

Solutions? As much as we "hated" Mega Teague, programs like Villa 7 were/ are a great start.

Still not sure what good 'ole boy network some of you are making reference to. In your heart of hearts, do you really believe the A.D. at any Big Ten university would actually reject a qualified applicant because they are non-white to hire a less qualified white? If so, your outlook on life needs refreshed. Take a long walk or find a good book. Something to change your attitude.

Whole topic aside.... wait how did anyone pick Brewster as a prospective HC?

I can't imagine who thought that with his resume.

It's a mystery but salesmen sell. This may be the understatement of the year but Charlie Strong had scads of college coordinator experience and would have been a great choice. That's another one of those alternate timelines I can daydream about, along the lines of Nelson v. Leidner.

Obviously something didn't click or Strong didn't want the job and simply leveraged himself for a pay raise at Florida? Who knows other than the parties themselves. Brewster was cheap and hungry and a salesman.

It's a mystery but salesmen sell. This may be the understatement of the year but Charlie Strong had scads of college coordinator experience and would have been a great choice. That's another one of those alternate timelines I can daydream about, along the lines of Nelson v. Leidner.

Obviously something didn't click or Strong didn't want the job and simply leveraged himself for a pay raise at Florida? Who knows other than the parties themselves. Brewster was cheap and hungry and a salesman.

It seems so out of left field.... lots of crooters out there (no question Brewster can croot) and sales guys... but HC. The world wonders...

As a hiring manager for a local fortune 500 company, i will tell you this is complete & total bull&^%$.

We go out of our way to specifically target & recruit POC, all across the country.

As a hiring manager for a local fortune 500 company, i will tell you this is complete & total bull&^%$.

We go out of our way to specifically target & recruit POC, all across the country.

Eeeeehhhhh

Is your anecdote really relevant though?

Almost by definition you're going to be the folks who are engaged when people aren't interested in doing what Thunderlips is talking about. I'm not sure that means much.

Sure you do...as long as they are White Anglo Saxon Protestants [emoji41]

Check your management list for the token black guy...

I think it's a little more subtle than some are suggesting. I don't think anyone hiring a head coach or AD is really thinking "I ain't hirin' no darkies," or words to that effect. But, we all have our comfort zones. AD's know other AD's and people they've worked with. Coaches know other coaches they've worked with. So, if an AD's circle includes mainly white administrators and coaches, that's the zone he (or she) is going to be more comfortable with. Likewise for coaches.

No matter how liberal you may think you are, we all have our preferences. Most people are more comfortable with people like themselves. That's why there is an "old boy network." people hire people they know and are familiar or comfortable with. If you an outsider, for any reason, it's hard to crack into the inner circle no matter how qualified you are.

per Sid:

• Gophers athletic director Mark Coyle was asked for his reaction to a recent Star Tribune story about the lack of diversity on his athletics staff. “There’s no question that we can do a better job,” he said. “I’m very proud. When we look at diversity, we look at it as whether it be male, female, African-American, Caucasian, etc., and we can always improve on that. We have six minorities on our senior staff with women and African-American males. We try to focus on that because I think it’s important for our student-athletes that they have mentors and people they can see when they interact with our department and people they can look up to. I think that’s something we’ll always focus on and try to improve on.”

http://www.startribune.com/danielle-hunter-figures-to-bein-line-for-vikings-payday/438758623/#1

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom