T. Denny Sanford Not Donating to the U - Charley Walters

Iceland12

Reaction score
Now here's a new report on a long time topic.

- Twelve years ago, St. Paul Central-University of Minnesota grad T. Denny Sanford had his $35 million Gophers football stadium naming rights offer rebuked (Ed.Denny wanted to spread it over 20 years..) TCF Bank ended up getting rights for the same amount.

Now that Mariucci Arena has taken on 3M on as a corporate naming rights sponsor for $11.2 million, the Gophers’ Williams Arena is expected to be next for a corporate deal.

But Sanford, a billionaire philanthropist who in 2009 donated $6 million for the Gophers hall of fame at the football stadium, said he’s not interested in a rights deal for Williams Arena.

Or anything else at his alma mater.

“I’m out of Gopherland in many ways,” Sanford said.

It was Gophers athletics director Joel Maturi, now retired, who cultivated Sanford for the $6 million gift. Sanford has great respect for Maturi.

I asked Sanford if he has any feelings about new Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck.

“I’m not sure, but I like what he says — now he’s got to deliver,” Sanford said.

Meanwhile, Sanford’s latest endeavor in sports is landing a Champions Tour senior golf tournament — the Sanford International — for Sioux Falls, S.D., with a five-year contract. Sanford Health is the primary sponsor.

Sanford loves golf. The game’s greatest player, Jack Nicklaus, and Sanford worked together to get the tournament that will begin in
September of 2018 at the Minnehaha Country Club.

“That’s the biggest thing I’ve got going in the sports world,” Sanford said. “That’s going to be a big deal.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/07/2...key-to-more-than-his-own-future-with-vikings/

Now here's a new report on a long time topic.

- Twelve years ago, St. Paul Central-University of Minnesota grad T. Denny Sanford had his $35 million Gophers football stadium naming rights offer rebuked (Ed.Denny wanted to spread it over 20 years..) TCF Bank ended up getting rights for the same amount.

Now that Mariucci Arena has taken on 3M on as a corporate naming rights sponsor for $11.2 million, the Gophers’ Williams Arena is expected to be next for a corporate deal.

But Sanford, a billionaire philanthropist who in 2009 donated $6 million for the Gophers hall of fame at the football stadium, said he’s not interested in a rights deal for Williams Arena.

Or anything else at his alma mater.

“I’m out of Gopherland in many ways,” Sanford said.

It was Gophers athletics director Joel Maturi, now retired, who cultivated Sanford for the $6 million gift. Sanford has great respect for Maturi.

I asked Sanford if he has any feelings about new Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck.

“I’m not sure, but I like what he says — now he’s got to deliver,” Sanford said.

Meanwhile, Sanford’s latest endeavor in sports is landing a Champions Tour senior golf tournament — the Sanford International — for Sioux Falls, S.D., with a five-year contract. Sanford Health is the primary sponsor.

Sanford loves golf. The game’s greatest player, Jack Nicklaus, and Sanford worked together to get the tournament that will begin in
September of 2018 at the Minnehaha Country Club.

“That’s the biggest thing I’ve got going in the sports world,” Sanford said. “That’s going to be a big deal.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/07/2...key-to-more-than-his-own-future-with-vikings/
Come on PJ, do your magic. Make the effort to contact TDenny. What do you have to lose?

So, now do you think the men's BB games will continue to play a home game in his arena in SD? It seems like it was an accommodation to him, but if he says he is out of Gopherland?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, now do you think the men's BB games will continue to play a home game in his arena in SD? It seems like it was an accommodation to him, but if he says he is out of Gopherland?

And lose the exposure in that recruiting hotbed?

Someone here probably knows the whole story but back during the TCF talks he wanted too much in terms of either naming of or control of the medical facilities, etc. and he's reiterated over the years since then he has no interest in sponsorship deals so it appears his delicate feathers were somehow ruffled. If one looks at how far he's infiltrated into the South Dakota institutions that's probably the model he wants here and doesn't appreciate being told no. Of course, sometimes circumstances change. Personally I'm fine without having Sanford everywhere.

Senior Tour in Sioux Falls? Denny better put out big cash for the boys, or they'll stay away in droves

What exactly happened between T. Denny Sanford and his alma mater?

What exactly happened between T. Denny Sanford and his alma mater?

A giant stew of divorce, prenuptial agreements, wanting naming rights for a $35 million donation on a project that grew to $288 million stadium, wanting to pay that $35 million in installments over a number of years etc.

Kind of amazing that he made that $6 million donation for the Hall of Fame. The T. Denny Sanford Athletics Hall of Fame.

I think this has more to do with the snafu over the University of MN hospital and a proposed merger. This is from a Strib article in 2013:

The high-stakes maneuvering over ownership of Fairview Health Services ended abruptly Wednesday, with Sanford Health and the University of Minnesota halting discussions about a merger or acquisition.

The CEO of South Dakota-based Sanford, whose merger effort came under intense scrutiny the past two weeks, said Wednesday afternoon that he was ending discussions because Sanford has a policy of “only going where we are invited.”

Shortly thereafter, university President Eric Kaler said Fairview’s board won’t consider a proposal he made in January for the U to take over the hospital system. Instead, the two sides will talk about strengthening the existing arrangement in which Fairview has run the U’s medical center since 1997.

The end of Fairview’s talks with Sanford, which Minnesota Attorney General Lori Swanson brought to light two weeks ago, leaves the Twin Cities’ second-largest hospital system to seek a new path amid rapid changes in the health care industry.

“We understand why they would choose to step back at this time, but the news comes as a disappointment,” Chuck Mooty, Fairview interim CEO and board chair, said in a statement.

Fairview’s merger discussions with Sanford became public March 26, when Swanson started raising questions. At a packed hearing Sunday at the State Capitol, she grilled Sanford executives, saying that the organization had been less than forthcoming about the Fairview talks and questioning the nonprofit’s ties to the business interests of billionaire philanthropist T. Denny Sanford.

Sanford Health CEO Kelby Krabbenhoft said in a letter released Wednesday that “incredibly positive beginnings” to the talks with Fairview had turned sour.

Sanford Health found itself “unwelcome by some interested parties and key stakeholders of our proposed merger partner,” Krabbenhoft wrote. “It is inconceivable and unacceptable to me that we would ever propose a merger without the affirmation of these parties.”

Krabbenhoft, who was out of the country and unavailable for further comment Wednesday, said in his letter that he was concerned that “the good reputation of Sanford may be injured” by continuing discussions.

Fairview’s next steps

Kaler, who declined to comment, said in a memo to employees of the U’s Academic Health System that the university will continue negotiations with Fairview that have been underway for the past 18 months to improve the current arrangement, with Fairview in management control.

Senior Tour in Sioux Falls? Denny better put out big cash for the boys, or they'll stay away in droves

Purses for Champions Tour events are usually less than 2M. That's relatively modest compared to PGA men's events. Getting other sponsors and ticket revenue should cover most of the prize money as long as the interest is there.

Back on topic. If having his ego stroked is more important than loyalty to the U, then Sanford can keep his money as far as I'm concerned.

I think this has more to do with the snafu over the University of MN hospital and a proposed merger. This is from a Strib article in 2013:

The high-stakes maneuvering over ownership of Fairview Health Services ended abruptly Wednesday, with Sanford Health and the University of Minnesota halting discussions about a merger or acquisition.

If we're talking about the proposed donation to TCF that didn't have anything to do with it. That was way after TCF had been built.

If your talking about bad blood between the U and Sanford, that does explain why he wouldn't want to make further donations.

Purses for Champions Tour events are usually less than 2M. That's relatively modest compared to PGA men's events. Getting other sponsors and ticket revenue should cover most of the prize money as long as the interest is there.

Back on topic. If having his ego stroked is more important than loyalty to the U, then Sanford can keep his money as far as I'm concerned.

Almost every one of folks in this position are ego maniacs just like anyone that is at the top of the food chain in their respective fields. I have read and watched many many books, shows and movies about the subject from scientists, business leaders, world leaders, coaches, etc. and they all have that common trait (amongst others). So are they like that because of their success or are they successful because of that trait? It's why humility is very hard to come by in the truely successful and that certainly is sad.

Almost every one of folks in this position are ego maniacs just like anyone that is at the top of the food chain in their respective fields. I have read and watched many many books, shows and movies about the subject from scientists, business leaders, world leaders, coaches, etc. and they all have that common trait (amongst others). So are they like that because of their success or are they successful because of that trait? It's why humility is very hard to come by in the truely successful and that certainly is sad.

Considering how I understand he made his fortune ("sub-prime" credit cards) it follows that his financial success...may be secondary to taking advantage of the dumb and desperate which requires a certain bit of sociopathy. Like Trump, Sanford probably wants to be liked and adulated to a pathological degree hence the naming thing, and tends to hold grudges for perceived slights. That's my expert analysis...lol

Considering how I understand he made his fortune ("sub-prime" credit cards) it follows that his financial success...may be secondary to taking advantage of the dumb and desperate which requires a certain bit of sociopathy. Like Trump, Sanford probably wants to be liked and adulated to a pathological degree hence the naming thing, and tends to hold grudges for perceived slights. That's my expert analysis...lol

Unfortunately I would have to agree with this. Sanford has his terms and only his terms.

He's out of Gopherland but his advertising is not? If there's a swwwt deal for him, he's back.

Some people think they are bigger than everyone and everything. No one is bigger than the U. He can keep his money and use it to buyout those who are weak.

Some people think they are bigger than everyone and everything. No one is bigger than the U. He can keep his money and use it to buyout those who are weak.

Huh?

Sanford donates $28M to National University - San Diego Union-Tribune

We still will write some checks.

"Billionaire T. Denny Sanford announced Monday he is donating $28 million to the National University system to promote programs he helped create aimed at creating more harmony, inspiration and philanthropy in the world.

The bulk of the donation, the biggest ever to National University, will go toward expanding the Sanford Harmony Program, which already is in 2,700 schools and 21,000 classrooms in more than three dozen states.

“The timing could not be better,” Sanford said Monday about the donation. “What we’ve done is run through the infant stage, and now we’re running at full speed. The acceptance of this program nationwide is absolutely unbelievable.”

While the Harmony program is aimed at children in pre-kindergarten through sixth grade, Sanford said his original goal was to lower the nation’s divorce rate by helping men and women better understand one another from an early age.

With exercises aimed at empathy and communication, the program can help the world overall become a more harmonious place, National University system Chancellor Michael Cunningham said.

Sanford is strongly associated with National University, where the College of Education is named after him, but his public gifts have been relatively modest until now. He gave the school $1 million in January 2014 to launch the Sanford Education Center, while an anonymous donor that year gave the center $9.22 million to cover program costs and construction of the Torrey Pines headquarters.

In May 2015, an anonymous donor gave National University $20 million, the school’s largest donation at the time, to expand the Sanford Harmony Program and the Sanford Inspire Program to create inspirational teachers from pre-kindergarten to 12th grade. Sanford, who made his fortune as owner of First Premier Bank and Premier Bankcard, has given more than $1 billion in donations, largely for medical research and children’s causes.

His idea for Sanford Harmony grew out of a meeting with Arizona State University President Michael Crow in 2008. Having gone through two divorces, Sanford told Crow that he would like someone to develop a program that would create better understandings between boys and girls, which would extend into adulthood...

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/education/sd-me-sanford-donation-20170417-story.html

And for Charley Walters Denny is Truly the Gift That Keeps on Giving

Charley Walters: T. Denny Sanford rules out further donations to U

By PIONEER PRESS | [email protected]
PUBLISHED: September 16, 2013 at 11:01 pm | UPDATED: November 5, 2015 at 11:14 pm

Among prospective donors the University of Minnesota has been cultivating for its $190 million plan to upgrade athletics facilities has been alumnus T. Denny Sanford, a philanthropist for Minnesota projects.

However, Sanford, a multimillionaire who in 2009 contributed $7 million for construction of the Minnesota Athletics Hall of Fame at TCF Bank Stadium, said he’s not considering giving any more money to his alma mater.

“I love the university and I’ll always be loyal to it, but I’m not doing anything — I’ve done my best,” the 1954 St. Paul Central and 1958 Minnesota grad said Monday night.

“There are some deep pockets around; they should hit up somebody else.”

Sanford said there are philanthropic projects other than at the university that interest him...

T. Denny Sanford makes good on second chance to donate to Gophers’ football stadium

He said it wasn’t university President Robert Bruininks’ fault that his gift (the biggest in school history) was not accepted six years ago. Sanford blamed the university’s legal department for “messing the whole thing up,” but his role in causing the deal to collapse also was apparent.

According to Pioneer Press reports in 2003, Sanford wanted the stadium named after him unconditionally while the university wanted freedom to limit naming rights. Because of his divorce proceedings at the time, Sanford also proposed that the entire amount of his donation be given at the stadium’s completion. But that also was unacceptable to university officials.

After the nasty public dispute, Sanford had no intention of donating for the stadium, but the relationship he built with Minnesota athletics director Joel Maturi mended the bridge between the sides.

“I consider him one of my best friends,” Sanford said about Maturi, who was hired to replace Tom Moe as athletics director in 2002. “He’s done a great job here being AD. I have known him for six years now. He was really the one who put the stadium across. I was the one who came up with the idea, but he made it happen.

http://www.twincities.com/2009/05/2...chance-to-donate-to-gophers-football-stadium/

It's really disappointing this relationship didn't go differently or that it was repaired. Even if Sanford wanted his name on everything. With all the money he continues to put into healthcare and education, it's possible he could have been the Gophers version of Phil Knight or Kevin Plank.

Who cares. People still complain about the whole fiasco even now. The dude is donating most of his money to Sioux Valley Hospital (Now Sanford). It's his money and it the whole thing didn't work out. Let it be. I know it might be a slow news day but come on..

Top Bottom