Kahler and Coyle

Rog

Reaction score
With all the positive and/or negative comments about Kahler and Coyle I would have to add:
I just saw the construction photos of the new athletic complex, read about the contracts for football and basketball coaches and all the money being spent to
give Minnesota top athletic teams (which we all want). One has to come to the conclusion that they want Minnesota to bring back those "good old days".

With this in mind I can forget any perceived negative thoughts about them and say to them "I am with them on those goals and GO GOPHERS!"

I may add to my Post -- This same thought goes to ex president Johnson and the board of Regents also!!

I'm able to separate my love for the team and/or institution vs the administration. They are not the same. We are not Mega Tongue or Viper Tongue.

They should change their best.

With all the positive and/or negative comments about Kahler and Coyle I would have to add:
I just saw the construction photos of the new athletic complex, read about the contracts for football and basketball coaches and all the money being spent to
give Minnesota top athletic teams (which we all want). One has to come to the conclusion that they want Minnesota to bring back those "good old days".

With this in mind I can forget any perceived negative thoughts about them and say to them "I am with them on those goals and GO GOPHERS!"

Long after the haters in GopherHole have passed onto their just rewards Kaler and Coyle will be remembered by Gopher fans everywhere as the president and AD who had the wisdom and foresight to do what was necessary to return Gopher football to it's former glory, and pave the way for Gopher basketball to reach heights it had never before reached.

Long after the haters in GopherHole have passed onto their just rewards Kaler and Coyle will be remembered by Gopher fans everywhere as the president and AD who had the wisdom and foresight to do what was necessary to return Gophers football to it's former glory and pave the way for Gophers basketball to reach heights it had never before reached.

I've met many who conduct themselves in ways I wouldn't, but succeed regardless. You can argue with their presence, but you can't argue with their results.

We've been clamoring for the Gophers athletics to rise to prominence (FB & BB in particular) for as long as I've been a Gopher fan.

It was always talk. They did not put up the money to backup the talk until now.

The tv money has changed everything dramatically in the last 5-10 years. I'm going off memory here but the overall budget was something close to half of current 10 years ago. It has changed so dramatically the ticket revenue and seat donations are now a small fraction of the football budget.

Does Fleck come here if a solid foundation wasn't in place? I don't think so. It's chicken and egg. The AD has a fat revenue source to attract talent. We have gleaming facilities. Kudos for pushing through the stadium and facilities and I'm sure credit goes to multiple people for that. Kudos for the K-C regime for bringing the football program itself back to respectability in terms of competitiveness. They were rarely out of a game in the fourth quarter. These are all factors that helped bring in a high profile coach. Fleck feels he can win here and we all hope he does just that.

Without Kill, none of either of their successes would have happened to this point. Plenty of room to have great success going forward.

Without Kill, none of either of their successes would have happened to this point. Plenty of room to have great success going forward.

Everyone should be happy about the positive things Kill did for the U. It is also true that a large percentage of Gopher fans are happy that Kill (and Claeys) are gone and that Fleck is now the coach. The goal for most Gopher fans is always for the football team to win a Big 10 Championship. With their approach to recruiting Kill and Claeys were highly unlikely to ever win one.

Kill brought us back to relevance. He got the village going. He gave us a program to be proud of again. Nobody will ever know if he could bring us to the next level. But he deserves a lot of credit for what he did. He was the face of the program and very good out in public. Claeys was not Kill. Our group of 22 is a mix of die hards that follow everything, and many casual fans. The majority of our group did not feel Claeys could continue the upward trajectory of the program. By the last few home games, most were hoping for a change. Fleck was the hottest up and coming coach in years with a lot of positive publicity. He likely had many options, including staying at WMU for another year and waiting for bigger openings. Coyle got him here. That says something.

Long after the haters in GopherHole have passed onto their just rewards Kaler and Coyle will be remembered by Gopher fans everywhere as the president and AD who had the wisdom and foresight to do what was necessary to return Gopher football to it's former glory, and pave the way for Gopher basketball to reach heights it had never before reached.
Well said, Mark. I am sure your good buddy, President Kaler, approves.

I don't think PJF would have come here without the Athletic Village.

The AV has made this an attractive destination. For both Pitino and PJ Fleck, if they can win titles here who knows. They may want to be for the long haul and raise their family here. I am hoping.

We need program stability on both coaching staffs. We don't want to see the coaching carousel every three or four years.

Without Brew we may never have sunk to lowest possible levels and then no Kill, no village, no Fleck. Thank you Brew.

Without Mason we wouldn't be hopelessly mired in the middle of the pack and then no Brew, no loss to South Dakota State (Go Jackrabbits!), no Kill, no village, no Fleck. Thanks Mase.

I love the U and always will. I bleed M & G, but I have strong reservations about Kaler. The jury is still out with me on Coyle but he had a lousy start in dealing with the Claeys situation and the boycott, etc.

Dr. Kaler has been the President of the University of Minnesota for more than 5 years. The least you could do is learn to spell his name correctly.

I love the U and always will. I bleed M & G, but I have strong reservations about Kaler. The jury is still out with me on Coyle but he had a lousy start in dealing with the Claeys situation and the boycott, etc.

If Kaler and Coyle hadn't dealt in the decisive and responsible way they did with the player suspensions, the team boycott, and Claeys firing, the entire matter would still be front page news all over the county. Women's rights activists and their supporters would be having regular demonstrations at the U in support of the alleged victim and complaining that the male power structure at the U ignores their own due process procedures and covers up code of conduct violations by male athletes. And there is very little doubt the U would be trying to defend a high profile and well publicized lawsuit by a big time law firm for not complying with Title IX regulations and its own sexual harassment and code of conduct procedures.

Kill brought us back to relevance. He got the village going. He gave us a program to be proud of again. Nobody will ever know if he could bring us to the next level. But he deserves a lot of credit for what he did. He was the face of the program and very good out in public. Claeys was not Kill. Our group of 22 is a mix of die hards that follow everything, and many casual fans. The majority of our group did not feel Claeys could continue the upward trajectory of the program. By the last few home games, most were hoping for a change. Fleck was the hottest up and coming coach in years with a lot of positive publicity. He likely had many options, including staying at WMU for another year and waiting for bigger openings. Coyle got him here. That says something.

My sentiments exactly! Very well written post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Without Brew we may never have sunk to lowest possible levels and then no Kill, no village, no Fleck. Thank you Brew.

Without the University ever being created none of us would be on this forum.

Without the University ever being created none of us would be on this forum.

Without Al Gore the internet wouldn't exist and we'd be snail mailing in our comments..

I want to thank that one WR's mom's friend and the guy from Virginia that kept giving us updates from that bar by VCU. Without them, GH may have died! Some good old 50+ page threads that kept us on the edge of our seats.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Without Al Gore the internet wouldn't exist and we'd be snail mailing in our comments..

But oh, the global warming (or is it climate change) due to all that extra mail.

I don't know if this deserves its own thread, but the Strib has a big article today about diversity in athletic departments. The U of M is tied for last in the B1G in the number of minorities who either hold head-coaching positions or key athletic administrative positions - 1. Tubby Smith was the last black head coach hired - 10 years ago. The U hasn't hired a minority AD or deputy AD for 18 years.

Coyle is quoted in the story. Kaler declined to comment. quotes from some former black athletes and parents about lack of communication between athletes and the administration. Gaelin Elmore quoted as saying that black athletes felt there was no one in the U athletic administration who understood the type of issues that black athletes deal with.

Don't know if this becomes a big story or not. again, you can find it on the Strib Website, or buy the actual paper. (If anyone still does that.)

I just hope I can forget all your troll like posts and your never ending agenda.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

I don't know if this deserves its own thread, but the Strib has a big article today about diversity in athletic departments. The U of M is tied for last in the B1G in the number of minorities who either hold head-coaching positions or key athletic administrative positions - 1. Tubby Smith was the last black head coach hired - 10 years ago. The U hasn't hired a minority AD or deputy AD for 18 years.

Coyle is quoted in the story. Kaler declined to comment. quotes from some former black athletes and parents about lack of communication between athletes and the administration. Gaelin Elmore quoted as saying that black athletes felt there was no one in the U athletic administration who understood the type of issues that black athletes deal with.

Don't know if this becomes a big story or not. again, you can find it on the Strib Website, or buy the actual paper. (If anyone still does that.)

It is an interesting discussion. With the two major Men's sports HC positions conceivably locked up for a while, it looks like the trend will continue.

I usually buy the actual paper...when I know I'm going to be doing some packing. :p

If Kaler and Coyle hadn't dealt in the decisive and responsible way they did with the player suspensions, the team boycott, and Claeys firing, the entire matter would still be front page news all over the county. Women's rights activists and their supporters would be having regular demonstrations at the U in support of the alleged victim and complaining that the male power structure at the U ignores their own due process procedures and covers up code of conduct violations by male athletes. And there is very little doubt the U would be trying to defend a high profile and well publicized lawsuit by a big time law firm for not complying with Title IX regulations and its own sexual harassment and code of conduct procedures.

To hell with dragging those players' names through the mud.

Top Bottom