Ranking the Big Ten Running Back Tandems for 2017 (5. Minnesota: Smith and Brooks)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Athlon:

5. Minnesota: Rodney Smith and Shannon Brooks
New coach P.J. Fleck inherits an offense with uncertainty at quarterback, but there’s little concern about the ground attack. The Golden Gophers return the top two performers from last year’s backfield, with Rodney Smith earning second-team All-Big Ten honors by Athlon Sports. Smith led the team with 1,158 yards and 16 scores last fall and also chipped in 23 catches for 188 yards. He also recorded five 100-yard performances in Big Ten play. Brooks led the team in rushing yardage in 2015 (709) and remained a key cog as the No. 2 back in 2016. In 10 appearances (and while dealing with a foot injury), Brooks rushed for 650 yards and five scores.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-big-ten-running-back-tandems-2017

Go Gophers!!

I realize it is just Athlon, but am I wrong in wanting to bet the "over" on this?

I'd argue we should be ahead of Iowa. Wadley is a really good back and put up nice stats but if I were selecting my own team I'd choose either of Brooks or Smith. Iowa's run blocking was presumedly better than ours based on #recenthistory and what Smith and Brooks did with making something out of nothing and avoiding TFLs over and over was close to miraculous. Plus box after plus box because our passing game wasn't feared. I don't think that will be as much of an issue this year and expect our duo to have a huge year.

per Athlon:

5. Minnesota: Rodney Smith and Shannon Brooks
New coach P.J. Fleck inherits an offense with uncertainty at quarterback, but there’s little concern about the ground attack. The Golden Gophers return the top two performers from last year’s backfield, with Rodney Smith earning second-team All-Big Ten honors by Athlon Sports. Smith led the team with 1,158 yards and 16 scores last fall and also chipped in 23 catches for 188 yards. He also recorded five 100-yard performances in Big Ten play. Brooks led the team in rushing yardage in 2015 (709) and remained a key cog as the No. 2 back in 2016. In 10 appearances (and while dealing with a foot injury), Brooks rushed for 650 yards and five scores.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-big-ten-running-back-tandems-2017

Go Gophers!!

First time post, but for years a follower...

This is ridiculous. I asked a good friend of mine who is die hard sconnie. He said easily best 2 back tandem is mn w a bullet. 5th??? Athlon must be hurting bad to need to cater to the regulars this bad.

IDK. If you look at which teams have a tandem capable of going 1000 each, it would be MN, IA, OSU, and possibly NW. Barkley is capable of rushing for 2K by himself so if Sanders or another back can get to 500, then I can see PSU. If you go by which teams have two 1000 yd type backs, MN, IA, and OSU would have to be at the top as NW and PSU each have a dominate back. WI would be a wild card as little is known about their RBs but they will be running behind road graders so it wouldn't shock me if they had a great tandem at the half way point in the season.

I wouldn't trade Brooks and Smith for any other pair in the BIG10. They may not get the stats if the line does not come together; but in terms of vision and toughness...I luv em!

The question is more about how Smith and Brooks will be used under a new system, with new blocking schemes. Who gets more carries? Will they be used more in the passing game?

I think a lot of people are still basing opinions on what players did under a previous coaching staff and a previous system. Things are going to be different this year. how different I don't know yet. I don't think anyone knows unless they're on the team or a member of the coaching staff. That's what makes this season so interesting - the uncertainty.

Good or bad, there is a reason to watch the games - even the non-conf games - to see what happens, how the team looks, and what they do under the new system.

At WMU, Fleck's system had a 50-50 run-pass ratio. If they stick to that at MN, there could be fewer carries to divide between the RB's, which could impact stats.

They may have less carries by the end of the season, but the number of receptions each has should be significantly greater, if there is a 50-50 run pass ratio.
It is going to be really interesting to see how those two are utilized and how they work McCrary into the mix. Ski-U-Mah

There may be an individual running back or two better but as a pair not so sure on that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FWIW: on Sports huddle today, Dave Mona asked Fleck if he would use a 2-back set with Smith and Brooks in the same backfield. Fleck said he's not a big fan of 2-back sets. He said if Smith and Brooks are on the field at the same time, it's likely that one will be lined up at RB and the other will be flanked or split out wide.

Something to watch for.

FWIW: on Sports huddle today, Dave Mona asked Fleck if he would use a 2-back set with Smith and Brooks in the same backfield. Fleck said he's not a big fan of 2-back sets. He said if Smith and Brooks are on the field at the same time, it's likely that one will be lined up at RB and the other will be flanked or split out wide.

Something to watch for.

Seems ideal for jet sweeps and screens - get one of Brooks or Smith in space to the outside and there is a very good chance they will break the initial tackle to daylight. One's got to feel optimistic Ciarrocca will utilize these guys better than the last few offensive staffs. They've already demonstrated a proclivity to run outside more (during the spring game FWIW).

Seems ideal for jet sweeps and screens - get one of Brooks or Smith in space to the outside and there is a very good chance they will break the initial tackle to daylight. One's got to feel optimistic Ciarrocca will utilize these guys better than the last few offensive staffs. They've already demonstrated a proclivity to run outside more (during the spring game FWIW).

As long as they follow the longtime MN tradition of always running those sweeps, screens, and outside runs to the short side of the field.

As long as they follow the longtime MN tradition of always running those sweeps, screens, and outside runs to the short side of the field.

With our least athletic WR.

Something to watch for.

Saw that...there's really only so many carries to go around. Running a one or two back set doesn't really change that...

Slightly OT: I also saw that they ranked the 130 projected starting QB's from top to bottom. They projected Rhoda and had him at like #120 out of 130. He hasn;t played a lot, but they were not impressed by what they saw. I think that whoever starts for us will do fine after taking some lumps early. Go Gophers!

Yep let's limit the opportunity as much as possible. I always wondered if they thought they they were outsmarting the opponents because of course no one would attempt something that.... And of course it hardly ever worked.,.

Yep let's limit the opportunity as much as possible. I always wondered if they thought they they were outsmarting the opponents because of course no one would attempt something that.... And of course it hardly ever worked.,.

Yeah it was kind of a bridge too far, meta meta thing - they won' be able to believe we're serious about running the the jet with Wolitarsky, defense will ignore him, so he's going to have room to run. Of course never worked out. Freuchte had legit straight line speed but he didn't do too well either IIRC.

Top Bottom