Coyle? I need to know

What's your opinion on Coyle?

• Love him! Nothing but praise!

Votes: 32 34.4%
  • Hate him! Jim Carter's ascot is a better option.

Votes: 17 18.3%
  • Neutral. Not sure what to think yet

Votes: 44 47.3%

• Total voters
* Football team has several individuals involved in a gang bang that becomes national news.
* Underage recruit is at the big event.
* Later, numerous players have a harassment injunction filed against them.
* Football team again becomes national news when they vote to boycott a bowl game because they want to back their teammates, some of whom were treated unfairly.
* Football coach had told them he might lose his job if they boycott, but the team goes ahead and does it anyway.
* Football coach releases a tone deaf tweet where he lauds the team for its actions, despite the fact the scandal is one where a great many people are disgusted over what happened in that apartment.
* Also, controversy develops over what and when was the agreement about the suspensions.

Lots of tumult; lots of bad publicity; lots of media; lawyers threatening, demonstrations, etc. An absolutely bull**** statement to make is that Claeys was fired because of his appearance.
It should be noted that lots of the bad publicity wasn't helped by how Coyle, Kaler, and the University handled the suspensions. I still have yet to see evidence that Claeys was condoning or encouraging the behavior of the players. They acted to suspend players once they knew what happened and let the legal process play out. Essentially there wasn't much more they could do.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

It should be noted that lots of the bad publicity wasn't helped by how Coyle, Kaler, and the University handled the suspensions. I still have yet to see evidence that Claeys was condoning or encouraging the behavior of the players. They acted to suspend players once they knew what happened and let the legal process play out. Essentially there wasn't much more they could do.

Claeys didn't suspend even one player for violating "team rules" by being at the scene of the Gang Bang Scandal were underage drinking was going on by Gopher players and where a high school recruit was drinking but participating in the gang bang. Claeys never publicly addressed the situation nor punished any of his players for their conduct which was a violation of the student code of conduct. We can only assume underage drinking was either not a violation of the football team rules or he ignored the rules because he couldn't have cared less about team culture and discipline.

Claeys didn't have any minimum standards of behavior for his players and he apparently made no effort to hold them accountable for anything they did. The whole disgusting thing happened because the players didn't respect or fear Claeys. Claeys lost control of his football team on and off the football field (if he ever had it) and he deserved to get his ass fired. And he didn't deserve a pat on the back and good wishes by Coyle on his way out the door. Good riddance to him. We have seen the last of Claeys in Minnesota and I couldn't be happier about it.

* Football team has several individuals involved in a gang bang that becomes national news.
* Underage recruit is at the big event.
* Later, numerous players have a harassment injunction filed against them.
* Football team again becomes national news when they vote to boycott a bowl game because they want to back their teammates, some of whom were treated unfairly.
* Football coach had told them he might lose his job if they boycott, but the team goes ahead and does it anyway.
* Football coach releases a tone deaf tweet where he lauds the team for its actions, despite the fact the scandal is one where a great many people are disgusted over what happened in that apartment.
* Also, controversy develops over what and when was the agreement about the suspensions.

Lots of tumult; lots of bad publicity; lots of media; lawyers threatening, demonstrations, etc. An absolutely bull**** statement to make is that Claeys was fired because of his appearance.

Interesting, Coyle didn't name any of those things as the reason TC was fired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I threw away my "beating a dead horse gif" too soon. Who would of thunk?

Claeys didn't suspend even one player for violating "team rules" by being at the scene of the Gang Bang Scandal were underage drinking was going on by Gopher players and where a high school recruit was drinking but participating in the gang bang. Claeys never publicly addressed the situation nor punished any of his players for their conduct which was a violation of the student code of conduct. We can only assume underage drinking was either not a violation of the football team rules or he ignored the rules because he couldn't have cared less about team culture and discipline.

Claeys didn't have any minimum standards of behavior for his players and he apparently made no effort to hold them accountable for anything they did. The whole disgusting thing happened because the players didn't respect or fear Claeys. Claeys lost control of his football team on and off the football field (if he ever had it) and he deserved to get his ass fired. And he didn't deserve a pat on the back and good wishes by Coyle on his way out the door. Good riddance to him. We have seen the last of Claeys in Minnesota and I couldn't be happier about it.
Allegedly

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

Memo: if you support Fleck and Coyle, just keep saying "gang bang" in every post.

Even though that may not be an accurate indication of what really went on that night, it's an emotionally-charged term that will help make your point - whatever that point is.

I think he's a rock star who will transform Gopher Football and basketball to levels never seen in my lifetime. So far he gets an A+ if not just for having the balls to fire a 9-4 coach (who had no business being a head coach in the Big Ten and Coyle knew it and acted with purpose we haven't seen from previous AD's here) and going after and convincing the hottest coaching prospect in the country to come to Minnesota.

He also stopped the last price increase for football tickets which is no small thing.

Anyone who can coach a 9 - 4 season here has plenty of business being the coach. Coyle didn't stop any price increase, the lack of fans did. He did have balls hiring a salesman who we hope has enough "business" to coach.

Memo: if you support Fleck and Coyle, just keep saying "gang bang" in every post.

Even though that may not be an accurate indication of what really went on that night, it's an emotionally -charged term that will help make your point - whatever that point is.

This is an interesting take. How is the event not a gangbang? What words would you use to describe what happened. No one involved denies it happening.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gangbang

Even though that may not be an accurate indication of what really went on that night, it's an emotionally -charged term that will help make your point - whatever that point is.

This is an interesting take. How is the event not a gangbang? What words would you use to describe what happened. No one involved denies it happening.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gangbang
Other dictionaries indicate the term implies rape.

So what is a better term? Is "running a train" more consensual?
Any term that doesn't imply a crime was committed. Or use the word "alleged" if you are going to call it a crime.

Even though that may not be an accurate indication of what really went on that night, it's an emotionally-charged term that will help make your point - whatever that point is.
Calling it a gangbang is being kind to those involved. Would alleged rape or sexual assault be better for you? We know a gangbang happened that night, it's a fact. We just don't know if it was rape or not. Sorry, but a stupid and misinformed post by you.

Calling it a gangbang is being kind to those involved. <b>Would alleged rape or sexual assault be better for you? We know a gangbang happened that night, it's a fact. We just don't know if it was rape or not. </b>Sorry, but a stupid and misinformed post by you.

Is it forever an alleged rape - and those players alleged rapists - even tho no charges were ever filed? I mean if I accuse you of raping me are you cool with forever being tagged as an alleged rapist? Even if there isn't enough evidence to charge? What if charges are filed and you are acquitted? Still cool? Technically that means there was more evidence, right? At what point can we stop calling it an alleged rape or the players alleged rapists?

What dictionary says that it implies rape?

If you google the definition there are at least 3 definitions that pop up that say it is rape. Even the one that automatically comes from Google says rape. Point being, that to many, the term implies rape. No one has been convicted of rape. You are entitled to believe it was rape, but you are making assumptions and saying guilty until proven innocent.

Anyone else notice the quotes are getting attributed to the wrong people unless you manually edit the code? Happened to me on a browser and on Tapatalk and looks like it happened to a couple others here.

I have received a few notices that my post has been quoted, but the post quoted wasn't me.

Sorry but you are wrong. As the articles below indicate, players were suspended.
https://www.si.com/college-football/2016/09/13/minnesota-gophers-suspensions
http://www.twincities.com/2016/10/04/suspended-gophers-football-players-back-at-practice-after-sex-assault-investigation/

Sorry - once again I was too subtle for Gopher hole.

My point was that people are using the term "gang bang" because they think that casts the former coaching staff in the worst possible light. they are using the term deliberately for its negative connotations. it's their fall-back position. "Oh, no - somebody said something bad about Fleck or Coyle - I'd better keep yelling "gang bang" to show that I have the high moral ground." It's a tactic.

As I recall the EOAA report, the event began with an admittedly consensual encounter with the woman, djam and the recruit. What happened after that is known - for sure - only by the people in the room. I wasn't in the room. you weren't in the room. the EOAA wasn't in the room. it might have been a gang bang - but it also might have been a woman who had sex with multiple partners after drinking, regretted it later, and made accusations. which was it? I don't know. And you don't know either. But keep yelling "gang bang," if it makes you feel better.

Sorry - once again I was too subtle for Gopher hole.

My point was that people are using the term "gang bang" because they think that casts the former coaching staff in the worst possible light. they are using the term deliberately for its negative connotations. it's their fall-back position. "Oh, no - somebody said something bad about Fleck or Coyle - I'd better keep yelling "gang bang" to show that I have the high moral ground." It's a tactic.

As I recall the EOAA report, the event began with an admittedly consensual encounter with the woman, djam and the recruit. What happened after that is known - for sure - only by the people in the room. I wasn't in the room. you weren't in the room. the EOAA wasn't in the room. it might have been a gang bang - but it also might have been a woman who had sex with multiple partners after drinking, regretted it later, and made accusations. which was it? I don't know. And you don't know either. But keep yelling "gang bang," if it makes you feel better.

Which is a gang bang..........

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gang_bang

But keep yelling "gang bang," if it makes you feel better.

Well, I feel so much better now that I have your blessing. Talk about claiming the high moral ground. Keep telling me why I'm using a certain phrase and defining it for me--wrongly as far as how I use it.. BTW, I didn't want Claeys fired. But I can see why Coyle did, unlike some people who automatically react to Coyle like some 13 year old yelling, "I hate you!" at his or her parent and refusing to see that some players and coaches might have more than a little responsibility for what happened.

Well, I feel so much better now that I have your blessing. Talk about claiming the high moral ground. Keep telling me why I'm using a certain phrase and defining it for me--wrongly as far as how I use it.. BTW, I didn't want Claeys fired. But I can see why Coyle did, unlike some people who automatically react to Coyle like some 13 year old yelling, "I hate you!" at his or her parent and <b>refusing to see that some players and coaches might have more than a little responsibility for what happened.</b>

Again, the main debate on this thread isn't if TC should have been fired. It is how Coyle did it and his total lack of honesty when he did. He didn't state any of the reasons you have.

As for responsibility of "what happened" - I would say the U was in charge of a 17-year old and put him in a bad spot. Folks are responsible for that and consequences were necessary. As for the group sex / gang bang posts on how we "don't know what happened" - I would say we do. Nothing, in that in this Country we are innocent until proven guilty. No charges, nothing proved, therefore innocent. Yours and others continuance in still insinuating that something may have happened is careless and destructive. As I asked DMB earlier - should everyone accused of a crime be referred to as an "alleged murderer" or "alleged rapist" for the rest of their lives (even if not charged, even if charged and acquitted)? Do you not see the problem there?

It's incriminating when members of the defense of the sanctity of the Claeys administration need to defend the inappropriate or appropriate uses of various phrases defining sexual acts.

should everyone accused of a crime be referred to as an "alleged murderer" or "alleged rapist" for the rest of their lives (even if not charged, even if charged and acquitted)? Do you not see the problem there?

Not everyone, but for sure OJ should be referred to that way...

Well, I feel so much better now that I have your blessing. Talk about claiming the high moral ground. Keep telling me why I'm using a certain phrase and defining it for me--wrongly as far as how I use it.. BTW, I didn't want Claeys fired. But I can see why Coyle did, unlike some people who automatically react to Coyle like some 13 year old yelling, "I hate you!" at his or her parent and refusing to see that some players and coaches might have more than a little responsibility for what happened.

You're completely missing the point of why so many dislike Coyle. It has little to do with the act of firing Claeys.

Look, it is analogous to how people perceive Trump. There is a minority excited about him and feel he's presidential with his communication methods and actions. He is just great.

There is a another group of people that feel he's immature, acts in an unpresidential manner, communicates poorly, and is petty. And these people may even support part of or all his agenda! (But can't stand him)

Nuance. It is a lost art. I think we will all need to agree to disagree. As with Trump, the gulf is simply too wide to bridge.

Not everyone, but for sure OJ should be referred to that way...
And Casey Anthony, George Zimmerman, and.... I'd rather have it that way than an innocent person jailed or executed.

I wonder why we don't hear the sayings linked below much anymore?

"'It's better that 10 guilty men go free than one innocent man be wrongly convicted' - ]http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/its-better-that-10-guilty-men-go-free-than-one-innocent-man-be-wrongly-convicted-944059.html

Or,

"That it is better 100 guilty Persons should escape than that one innocent Person should suffer, is a Maxim that has been long and generally approved." -http://www.bartleby.com/73/953.html

If it is not obvious, I was a big Kill fan. Thought he was the best thing since sliced bread. And I thought TC was a great sidekick, Assistant Coach.

But once Kill was done?

TC needed to go!!!!

I mean, come on, maybe HC at Ohio U? But the U of Mn? Come on.

He had not earned the job. This is not small business here. With the amount of money involved, no one should feel guilty about supposedly "not being loyal", etc.. I'm sorry but TC was paid well as an assistant coach and the U didn't owe him one single ounce of loyalty.

He never should have gotten the job in the first place. Honestly.

And for all of you hoping for the next Jesus Christ/Gandhi to be our President/AD/Head Coach, beware what you ask for!!! Seems our newest HC might have a little bit of a JC complex going on, and if it keeps our program clean, GREAT, but imagine if our AD and President were like him? is it really that unsettling that the AD might be a little less "righteous"??? I mean we could become a Christian college or something? Is that what you want?

I am a big fan of honesty and righteousness, etc.., I really am, but college sports is now a multi-BILLION dollar business that the U is WAY behind in the game.

Or maybe in the world we exist in today, just maybe someone like Coyle is exactly what the U needs?

Top Bottom