Coyle? I need to know

What's your opinion on Coyle?

• Love him! Nothing but praise!

Votes: 32 34.4%
  • Hate him! Jim Carter's ascot is a better option.

Votes: 17 18.3%
  • Neutral. Not sure what to think yet

Votes: 44 47.3%

• Total voters

NotAFanOfBecky

Reaction score
Ok all I need some help. I asked the question in another thread and never got an answer and almost every thread is leading into the Coyle vs. others, Coyle is great you are so wrong and on and on.

So help me out. I'm neutral on the guy. I think he could be a little better out front but in his defense that's not his style. I think he did a lousy job on Claeys, I think it should have been much different. Love the Fleck hire.

So for those of you in love with him and defending him at every turn tell me why?

Those that loathe him tell me why?

Dishonest, unethical, selfish, poor communicator, not accountable, untrustworthy, and likely pees in the shower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I voted neutral. He was not up front in the the way he fired Tracy. Maybe a lesson learned. Other than that, I like what he has done. He put out a national search immediately on a new softball coach with Allister leaving for Stanford versus just appointing their associate coach, who by the way is very good and still may get the job. The one thing I like about Coyle he wants Minnesota up there with the big boys. I always felt Maturi was satisfied with just well rounded programs.

I voted neutral. He was not up front in the the way he fired Tracy. Maybe a lesson learned. Other than that, I like what he has done. He put out a national search immediately on a new softball coach with Allister leaving for Stanford versus just appointing their associate coach, who by the way is very good and still may get the job. The one thing I like about Coyle he wants Minnesota up there with the big boys. I always felt Maturi was satisfied with just well rounded programs.

I agree with you; especially his vision of where the U should be competing. Lost nearly all respect from him during the football disaster, but managed to get the best, young, 'next big thing', coach in the country. Whether or not Coach Fleck works out, the fact he landed him speaks volumes.

Agree with this. I went neutral. Tracy Claeys and staff got a raw deal but Coyle made a good hire IMO with Fleck and extended Pitino.

Dishonest, unethical, selfish, poor communicator, not accountable, untrustworthy, and likely pees in the shower.

Suddenly I'm not so sure that Cruze is Mrs. Coyle. /s

n33uLht.jpg

I think peeing in the shower is technically OK if it's not also a bathtub...just sayin'. Patiently waiting for GWG...

Kaler has a track record of hiring bad ADs. Mega Tongue and now Serpents Tongue. You can't believe a word of what Coyle says.

I'm a big fan.

Made the biggest hire at the U since Lou Holtz.

Maybe could have said more about Claeys before firing him, but I'm pretty convinced he had a plan in action the whole time.

When you're in a management position like that, sometimes you can just dump out everything you're thinking to the press and public.
Easy to hate a person for what he hasn't said.

Long term will tell, but so far, I think he's 100% moving in the right direction.

Trying to be fair here: Coyle got off to a bad start. I really do not like the way he handled the investigation, and the firing of Claeys. But, I will admit it was a tough situation that he inherited. And, I believe there is always a chance for redemption and improvement.

So, he slipped badly coming out of the starting blocks - but the race is not over yet. He has a chance to make up ground. I would still like to see him be a little more out front, but that just might not be his style. So be it. Run the department efficiently and effectively; treat people fairly; listen to all sides; and remember you are there in service of the student-athletes as well as the administration. Accomplish that, and I will live with his less-than-stellar communications skills.

Trying to be fair here: Coyle got off to a bad start. I really do not like the way he handled the investigation, and the firing of Claeys. But, I will admit it was a tough situation that he inherited. And, I believe there is always a chance for redemption and improvement.

So, he slipped badly coming out of the starting blocks - but the race is not over yet. He has a chance to make up ground. I would still like to see him be a little more out front, but that just might not be his style. So be it. Run the department efficiently and effectively; treat people fairly; listen to all sides; and remember you are there in service of the student-athletes as well as the administration. Accomplish that, and I will live with his less-than-stellar communications skills.

+1 Agree.

I think he's a rock star who will transform Gopher Football and basketball to levels never seen in my lifetime. So far he gets an A+ if not just for having the balls to fire a 9-4 coach (who had no business being a head coach in the Big Ten and Coyle knew it and acted with purpose we haven't seen from previous AD's here) and going after and convincing the hottest coaching prospect in the country to come to Minnesota.

He also stopped the last price increase for football tickets which is no small thing.

"It's all pipes! What's the difference?"

Leaders have to make tough decisions. A plan to bring in Fleck was in place before the scandal.

As I said in another thread, I don't care how many wins we get or how well our teams do. I don't trust Coyle, I don't like Coyle and I refuse to overlook his lack of character so that people can feel good about having a snake in the grass as an AD. I hope he does a wonderful job and we win National Championships...but I wouldn't piss on that guy if he was on fire otherwise...scum is scum and he is scum.

Leaders have to make tough decisions. A plan to bring in Fleck was in place before the scandal.

Leaders also tend to be honest about why they are making the tough decision. Like most, I am negative on Coyle but ok with the Fleck hiring.

I've moved on beyond the firing and went with neutral.

Waiting for him to actually look like he's enjoying his job as AD. Very odd body/facial language most of the time.

Exactly. We finally have an AD with a bit of a ruthless side to him(which we've lacked forever), someone who recognizes quickly who and what he wants for the long term. Claeys was going to have to win ten plus games last year to have a chance at keeping his job. Claeys was gone the second he agreed to that bad contract, Coyle getting hired over Goetz was the nail in the coffin.

And dare I say it on this board, but Kaler deserves a lot of credit as well. If he doesn't make the decision to hire Coyle and instead stayed with Goetz, Claeys would still be here. Kaler's decision gave us Coyle and Fleck when it could have easily been Goetz and Claeys. Think about that for a second. Thank god Kaler had the balls to hire a real AD and not stick with Goetz (and Claeys). That decision by Kaler will change Gopher Football forever.

If he doesn't make the decision to hire Coyle and instead stayed with Goetz, Claeys would still be here.

How do we know that?

Goetz was interim, it's not like she could have done what she wanted or even SAY what she would have done.

I agree with you; especially his vision of where the U should be competing. Lost nearly all respect from him during the football disaster, but managed to get the best, young, 'next big thing', coach in the country. Whether or not Coach Fleck works out, the fact he landed him speaks volumes.

I have similar feelings. Didn't think Claeys should have been fired, but the Fleck hire was pretty much best-case-scenario at that point. Wish Coyle was more upfront and just stated that he wanted his own guy to be coach, rather than use the scandal as his excuse. Aside from that, I do think he has the right vision about making the Gophers competitive in all sports.

As I said in another thread, I don't care how many wins we get or how well our teams do. I don't trust Coyle, I don't like Coyle and I refuse to overlook his lack of character so that people can feel good about having a snake in the grass as an AD. I hope he does a wonderful job and we win National Championships...but I wouldn't piss on that guy if he was on fire otherwise...scum is scum and he is scum.

I guess I am the bizarro version of you (to keep the Seinfeld train of thought). I honestly don't care about character or demeanor of an AD. The person's job is to hire good coaches. Wins and losses for football, hockey, and basketball (men's) is all that matters for me in judging an AD (short of any institutional scandal). The SEC is full of snakes (metaphorically and geographically!)...welcome to the big time. From an overhead view, I honestly can't fathom how someone could think Claeys is a more desirable coach than Fleck...I don't see ESPN concocting a 5-part series on Claeys eating pizza on his couch this fall. I don't care how the sausage is made...Fleck was a smart risk-move - ergo, Coyle has my support. The vast majority of people barely even remember the "scandal" of 2016.

I think he's a rock star who will transform Gopher Football and basketball to levels never seen in my lifetime. So far he gets an A+ if not just for having the balls to fire a 9-4 coach (who had no business being a head coach in the Big Ten and Coyle knew it and acted with purpose we haven't seen from previous AD's here) and going after and convincing the hottest coaching prospect in the country to come to Minnesota.

He also stopped the last price increase for football tickets which is no small thing.

I concur

I don't know what the budget forecast was for this, but common sense wise this was a no-brainer. Everyone who remotely followed Gopher football could get a sense that attendance was sinking.

Too early to tell. In this case the people demanding that we wait "3-4 seasons at least" before we make a decision are right.

People seem a little to butt-hurt over how Coyle handled Claeys.

Why would everyone have felt better if he said "I'm firing Claey's because I want my own guy".

Is that enough for everyone for him just to say that?

Attributing the scandal should or should not be mentioned? I'm not even sure why those who are upset with Coycle would prefer he handled this.
There was a scandal. Coyle's hire didn't create the scandal. It happened under Kill or Claeys and Claeys by most accounts didn't handled it real well.

I think people would be complaining about Coyle not matter what he said because some people just didn't want Claeys fired. (for whatever reasons).

People seem a little to butt-hurt over how Coyle handled Claeys.

Why would everyone have felt better if he said "I'm firing Claey's because I want my own guy".

Is that enough for everyone for him just to say that?

Attributing the scandal should or should not be mentioned? I'm not even sure why those who are upset with Coycle would prefer he handled this.
There was a scandal. Coyle's hire didn't create the scandal. It happened under Kill or Claeys and Claeys by most accounts didn't handled it real well.

I think people would be complaining about Coyle not matter what he said because some people just didn't want Claeys fired. (for whatever reasons).

Ummm because for the most part Kill, Claeys and the entire staff did much good for the U. Because if the AD is going to preach about changing culture, then you should practice what you preach. The AD should lead by example.

Top Bottom