Coyle? I need to know

What's your opinion on Coyle?

• Love him! Nothing but praise!

Votes: 32 34.4%
  • Hate him! Jim Carter's ascot is a better option.

Votes: 17 18.3%
  • Neutral. Not sure what to think yet

Votes: 44 47.3%

• Total voters
People seem a little to butt-hurt over how Coyle handled Claeys.

Why would everyone have felt better if he said "I'm firing Claey's because I want my own guy".

Is that enough for everyone for him just to say that?

Attributing the scandal should or should not be mentioned? I'm not even sure why those who are upset with Coycle would prefer he handled this.
There was a scandal. Coyle's hire didn't create the scandal. It happened under Kill or Claeys and Claeys by most accounts didn't handled it real well.

I think people would be complaining about Coyle not matter what he said because some people just didn't want Claeys fired. (for whatever reasons).

Well, because it was the truth. If you watched the bowl game, every time the camera showed Coyle and Kaler, they looked like they would rather be at the dentist than at the game. I will go to my grave believing that Coyle and Kaler had made the decision to fire Claeys before the game, and I also believe there were (at the very least) back-channel talks already going on with Fleck's representatives.

The Gophers go on to win the game, but as I said, the decision had already been made, so Coyle and Kaler had to come up with some justification for firing a coach who just won 9 games with a bowl victory. So, they came up with their laundry list of reasons - culture, excitement, ticket sales, etc. I'm not saying that those are not legitimate concerns - but in the end, Claeys was not Coyle's guy. He was never going to be Coyle's guy - and the fallout from the incident would have made it a very difficult working relationship going forward.

Again - Coyle had every right to do what he did. I just do not believe he was honest about his reasons and motivations for doing so.

Why would everyone have felt better if he said "I'm firing Claey's because I want my own guy".

Attributing the scandal should or should not be mentioned? I'm not even sure why those who are upset with Coycle would prefer he handled this.
There was a scandal. Coyle's hire didn't create the scandal. It happened under Kill or Claeys and Claeys by most accounts didn't handled it real well.

I think people would be complaining about Coyle not matter what he said because some people just didn't want Claeys fired. (for whatever reasons).

The how is important. Coyle could have gotten what he wanted without disparaging Jerry Kill, Tracy Claeys and the rest of the coaches and their accomplishments. A person of character, a person with a strong will, a person with courage, would have said it better...but Coyle has shown he has none of those things....and if you think this wont rear up again you are crazy. We will see trouble again...and when we do we will see the snake return and the blame game begin a new. Like I said, I am a Gopher Fan and want nothing but the best for our teams. And I have seen many snakes in my life and you just can't trust them...no matter how good they may do today, eventually they will return to the their skin.

Well, because it was the truth. If you watched the bowl game, every time the camera showed Coyle and Kaler, they looked like they would rather be at the dentist than at the game. I will go to my grave believing that Coyle and Kaler had made the decision to fire Claeys before the game, and I also believe there were (at the very least) back-channel talks already going on with Fleck's representatives.

The Gophers go on to win the game, but as I said, the decision had already been made, so Coyle and Kaler had to come up with some justification for firing a coach who just won 9 games with a bowl victory. So, they came up with their laundry list of reasons - culture, excitement, ticket sales, etc. I'm not saying that those are not legitimate concerns - but in the end, Claeys was not Coyle's guy. He was never going to be Coyle's guy - and the fallout from the incident would have made it a very difficult working relationship going forward.

Again - Coyle had every right to do what he did. I just do not believe he was honest about his reasons and motivations for doing so.

Aren't all of those things they listed another way of saying "He's not my guy. I want my own guy." I don't think you can say "I wanted to bring in my own guy" and more than what I bolded without just saying "I wanted to bring in my own guy." Why? Well, culture, ticket sales, recruiting, etc.

I 100% agree that Coyle probably was looking for a replacement well before they fired Claeys. Normally Gopher fans would applaud this aggressive behavior because it rarely seemed to happen in the past. We usually like to criticize our AD's for being to passive and not getting the big hire. Coyle does the opposite and now people complain because the process was dirty.

Some of you must live in a dream land, or you have the most incredible employers ever if they don't work a little back channel stuff every time they need to lay people off or hire a new manager.

The how is important. Coyle could have gotten what he wanted without disparaging Jerry Kill, Tracy Claeys and the rest of the coaches and their accomplishments. A person of character, a person with a strong will, a person with courage, would have said it better...but Coyle has shown he has none of those things....and if you think this wont rear up again you are crazy. We will see trouble again...and when we do we will see the snake return and the blame game begin a new. Like I said, I am a Gopher Fan and want nothing but the best for our teams. And I have seen many snakes in my life and you just can't trust them...no matter how good they may do today, eventually they will return to the their skin.

Please provide the quotes of what Coyle said that was so disparaging.
I think you're over-reacting.

Normally Gopher fans would applaud this aggressive behavior because it rarely seemed to happen in the past. We usually like to criticize our AD's for being to passive and not getting the big hire. Coyle does the opposite and now people complain because the process was dirty.

I can only speak for myself. I liked Claeys, didn't want him fired at the time, but would prefer PJF over him as our coach. It is not that Coyle fired TC that bothers me - it is his true colors that he showed in doing so, and leading up to it, that bother me. I don't like Mark Coyle. I see who and what he is. Crystal Clear. Everyone can keep saying that I and others don't like him because he fired TC, but that isn't true. I don't like him despite the fact he hired PJF.

I may be in the minority of folks that hate MC, but no way I'm in the minority of folks that hate how he conducted himself and handled the situation late last year. I'm just not willing to overlook it because he hired a great HC. I still see who he is. Crystal Clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aren't all of those things they listed another way of saying "He's not my guy. I want my own guy." I don't think you can say "I wanted to bring in my own guy" and more than what I bolded without just saying "I wanted to bring in my own guy." Why? Well, culture, ticket sales, recruiting, etc.

I 100% agree that Coyle probably was looking for a replacement well before they fired Claeys. Normally Gopher fans would applaud this aggressive behavior because it rarely seemed to happen in the past. We usually like to criticize our AD's for being to passive and not getting the big hire. Coyle does the opposite and now people complain because the process was dirty.

Some of you must live in a dream land, or you have the most incredible employers ever if they don't work a little back channel stuff every time they need to lay people off or hire a new manager.

That is part of the issue some of us have with Coyle. In November, he reportedly told Claeys that Claeys would return as coach. After the bowl game, Coyle said publicly that they would take some time to reflect on the situation. Then, in short order, Claeys is fired, and Fleck is hired. So, if Coyle was in contact with Fleck or other prospective coaching prospects before the bowl game, his public statements after the bowl game were misleading at best - or at the worst, were bald-faced lies.

As I've said, it's not what Coyle did - it's how he did it. If he would have come out and said "I want my own guy," (maybe phrased a little more diplomatically) I would accept it. Not saying I would be thrilled, but I would understand. Instead, Coyle tried to play it both ways.

Winning the bowl game as handily as that Gophers team did was not anticipated by either the AD or President, or by anyone for that matter.

As the clock was ticking down for Coyle to implement the plan "to get his own coach," in the face of that significant win...and for last season it was THE significant win...he in the end was incapable of taking the high road in the "dismissal" and went low in that press conference.

I'm past this and ready to enjoy a new season. That offered, we saw the AD's professional character that day and it was not pretty.

That is part of the issue some of us have with Coyle. In November, he reportedly told Claeys that Claeys would return as coach. After the bowl game, Coyle said publicly that they would take some time to reflect on the situation. Then, in short order, Claeys is fired, and Fleck is hired. So, if Coyle was in contact with Fleck or other prospective coaching prospects before the bowl game, his public statements after the bowl game were misleading at best - or at the worst, were bald-faced lies.

As I've said, it's not what Coyle did - it's how he did it. If he would have come out and said "I want my own guy," (maybe phrased a little more diplomatically) I would accept it. Not saying I would be thrilled, but I would understand. Instead, Coyle tried to play it both ways.

Those statements Coyle put out during the season re: Claey's status were very strange: "Tracy Claeys is our coach". Well, no ****. In hindsight and putting all the clues together the firing was in the works for some time.

Would it have been more fair to fire the staff after Wisconsin so they could market themselves? Probably.

So why did Coyle wait? Coyle is so gun shy I think he didn't have a coach lined up so was hedging his bets. He needed to deliver someone like Fleck or the fan base would have exploded. He waited to pull the trigger on Claeys until he saw the coaching vacancies shrink, Oregon go with Taggart, and our competition was Purdue and some lower level level programs. Confident Fleck had little choice he pulled the trigger and engaged in final contract deliberations to bring in Fleck (best possible outcome at that point).

The insinuation of a low character, poor culture with weak coaches during the press conference was totally unnecessary. His inability to articulate the buyout terms clarifies how frustrating it must have been for the players to get any clear answers about the suspensions. The man is simply not good at explaining details to others.

So why did Coyle wait? Coyle is so gun shy I think he didn't have a coach lined up so was hedging his bets. He needed to deliver someone like Fleck or the fan base would have exploded. He waited to pull the trigger on Claeys until he saw the coaching vacancies shrink, Oregon go with Taggart, and our competition was Purdue and some lower level level programs. Confident Fleck had little choice he pulled the trigger and engaged in final contract deliberations to bring in Fleck (best possible outcome at that point).

Or it's possible he didn't have the full support to fire Claeys from the BoR after the Wisconsin game. He needed time to lock up Fleck, the money to pay him, and the money to pay Claeys/assistants buyouts.

If any one of those things fall through, he keeps Claeys for one more year and fires him for next to nothing.

Or it's possible he didn't have the full support to fire Claeys from the BoR after the Wisconsin game. He needed time to lock up Fleck, the money to pay him, and the money to pay Claeys/assistants buyouts.

If any one of those things fall through, he keeps Claeys for one more year and fires him for next to nothing.

The Board has no control of salaries/ contracts. That's part of Coyle's job. Now, Coyle could be at risk if he irritates the board or doesn't get approval first but I don't think that happens bringing in a guy like Fleck. Sometimes leaders have to make decisions and explain later/ ask for apologies if it doesn't work out. Firing Claeys without plan B in place and overpaying for a lesser coach could have been disastrous for him.

The insinuation of a low character, poor culture with weak coaches during the press conference was totally unnecessary. His inability to articulate the buyout terms clarifies how frustrating it must have been for the players to get any clear answers about the suspensions. The man is simply not good at explaining details to others.

Complete BS (as usual).

Mark Coyle’s statement on the firing of Tracy Claeys

University of Minnesota Athletics Director Mark Coyle today relieved Gophers football coach Tracy Claeys of his duties, along with most of the rest of the coaching staff. Some staff will remain with the program during the transition to a new coaching staff.

Coyle’s statement:

I made a difficult decision today on behalf of the University of Minnesota. With the support of Board of Regents’ leadership and President Eric Kaler, I have decided to take the Gophers football team in a different direction with new coaching leadership.

I determined that the football program must move in a new direction to address challenges in recruiting, ticket sales and the culture of the program. We need strong leadership to take Gopher football to the next level and address these challenges.

This decision is about the future of Minnesota football.

Moving forward, we need a leader who sets high expectations athletically, academically, and socially.

I also want to address the unfortunate blurring of the football suspension decision.

On December 13, 2016, Coach Claeys, Deputy Athletics Director John Cunningham and I met to discuss 10 student-athletes.

I informed Coach Claeys of my judgment that athletic suspensions were appropriate.

Without any objection, Coach Claeys said he understood that decision to bench student-athletes.

Coach Claeys, Deputy Athletics Director John Cunningham, and I met with the student-athletes to advise them of our decision. Coach Claeys subsequently informed me that he agreed with the suspension decision.

And let me be clear: this was the right thing to do.

Coach Claeys’ Tweet later that week was not helpful. I accept that Coach Claeys intended it to support the boycotting players. Understandably others did not see it that way. I hope you will appreciate I cannot say more about the athletic suspensions in this case.

I will say, as a general matter, athletic suspension decisions – essentially a decision to bench a player – are different from a prosecutor’s decision to charge someone with a crime.

Different standards, different policies.

An athletic suspension decision is also different from a panel decision whether there has been a student conduct code violation.

For example, we suspend student-athletes for attitude problems. We suspend student-athletes while criminal investigations are ongoing. We suspend student-athletes when University investigators present credible evidence of inappropriate conduct. What happens in a student conduct process is not for me to say. Like the U and all involved, I simply want a just and fair process. That is not determined by who prevails; if justice is done, then the University of Minnesota and the public win, no matter the outcome.

Again, this has been a difficult decision. I thank Coach Claeys and his staff for their years of service. Coaches Dan O’Brien and Mike Sherels have agreed to remain during the coaching transition to ensure that our student-athletes have strong and active leadership in the interim.

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2017/...letic-director

Complete BS (as usual).

Mark Coyle’s statement on the firing of Tracy Claeys

University of Minnesota Athletics Director Mark Coyle today relieved Gophers football coach Tracy Claeys of his duties, along with most of the rest of the coaching staff. Some staff will remain with the program during the transition to a new coaching staff.

Coyle’s statement:

I made a difficult decision today on behalf of the University of Minnesota. With the support of Board of Regents’ leadership and President Eric Kaler, I have decided to take the Gophers football team in a different direction with new coaching leadership.

I determined that the football program must move in a new direction to address challenges in recruiting, ticket sales and the culture of the program. We need strong leadership to take Gopher football to the next level and address these challenges.

This decision is about the future of Minnesota football.

Moving forward, we need a leader who sets high expectations athletically, academically, and socially.

I also want to address the unfortunate blurring of the football suspension decision.

On December 13, 2016, Coach Claeys, Deputy Athletics Director John Cunningham and I met to discuss 10 student-athletes.

I informed Coach Claeys of my judgment that athletic suspensions were appropriate.

Without any objection, Coach Claeys said he understood that decision to bench student-athletes.

Coach Claeys, Deputy Athletics Director John Cunningham, and I met with the student-athletes to advise them of our decision. Coach Claeys subsequently informed me that he agreed with the suspension decision.

And let me be clear: this was the right thing to do.

Coach Claeys’ Tweet later that week was not helpful. I accept that Coach Claeys intended it to support the boycotting players. Understandably others did not see it that way. I hope you will appreciate I cannot say more about the athletic suspensions in this case.

I will say, as a general matter, athletic suspension decisions – essentially a decision to bench a player – are different from a prosecutor’s decision to charge someone with a crime.

An athletic suspension decision is also different from a panel decision whether there has been a student conduct code violation.

For example, we suspend student-athletes for attitude problems. We suspend student-athletes while criminal investigations are ongoing. We suspend student-athletes when University investigators present credible evidence of inappropriate conduct. What happens in a student conduct process is not for me to say. Like the U and all involved, I simply want a just and fair process. That is not determined by who prevails; if justice is done, then the University of Minnesota and the public win, no matter the outcome.

Again, this has been a difficult decision. I thank Coach Claeys and his staff for their years of service. Coaches Dan O’Brien and Mike Sherels have agreed to remain during the coaching transition to ensure that our student-athletes have strong and active leadership in the interim.

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2017/...letic-director

You think what you posted contradicts what PE said?

You think what you posted contradicts what PE said?

I absolutely do think that Coyle's statement puts the lie to everything PE and all of the other haters have been saying since the Gopher Gang Bang Scandal first happened. The statement was very clear and extremely specific as to why he fired Claeys' ass. Among the other failings that he mentioned, Coyle left very little doubt that Claeys lied to him and then publicly undermined the decision of he and Kaler by publicly supporting the player boycott. I loved the fact that Coyle refused to sugarcoat the reasons for the firing. No hypocrisy and no bullsh*t. Claeys got exactly what he deserved for throwing Coyle and Kaler under the bus, and for failing to exercise the leadership and control over his team's private behavior and public actions that reasonable and rational people expect from every college coach of any sport.

We're talking about the press conference, not the press release. Please, just stop.

I can only speak for myself. I liked Claeys, didn't want him fired at the time, but would prefer PJF over him as our coach. It is not that Coyle fired TC that bothers me - it is his true colors that he showed in doing so, and leading up to it, that bother me. I don't like Mark Coyle. I see who and what he is. Crystal Clear. Everyone can keep saying that I and others don't like him because he fired TC, but that isn't true. I don't like him despite the fact he hired PJF.

I may be in the minority of folks that hate MC, but no way I'm in the minority of folks that hate how he conducted himself and handled the situation late last year. I'm just not willing to overlook it because he hired a great HC. I still see who he is. Crystal Clear.

I agree with everything you have said here, but will add that Kaler wanted Claeys gone and it was part of the hiring agreement with Coyle. I think they fired him because of his appearance, yes they are that shallow. Fleck is the anti-Claeys!

I agree with everything you have said here, but will add that Kaler wanted Claeys gone and it was part of the hiring agreement with Coyle. I think they fired him because of his appearance, yes they are that shallow. Fleck is the anti-Claeys!

I may be in the minority, but I was actually very impressed with the way Coyle fired Claeys. He didn't make an emotional decision, he knew he wanted to make a change but ensured he had the right hire before firing Claeys. Mason was fired without any plan in place for the future. Is that what some of you wanted again? The old way was make an emotional firing, and then go thru 10 coaches turning down an offer, and getting someone not qualified for the job. I prefer the Coyle way.

With regards to everyone butt hurt about Coyle stating there needs to be a change in culture. Some point to academics, which were really good. And some point to wins, which were average to good. But they completely leave out that 5 players gang banged a girl and involved a 17 year old recruit. This was under Claeys' watch. Claeys' handling of the situation seemed to be that he didn't want to be involved, and just sit back and let everyone else do the handling of it. Compare that to the way Pitino handled a situation that was 100 times less worse, and he took full responsibility, and went above and beyond in making sure that didn't happen again. I am sorry, but I do not feel sorry for Claeys at all.

With regards to those who don't like him because he is not a great speaker. Try having a conversation with him one on one. I have had a couple conversations with him, and he is very good to talk to. And in front of a few smaller crowds I have been in, he has been great. He is not Winston Churchill, but he doesnt need to be. He isn't going to garner million dollar donations in larger crowds. That is all done one on one, and he does just fine with that.

It will be a few years till we really know how well Coyle is doing, but so far he has done about as good as anyone could hope in the two biggest sports.

I absolutely do think that Coyle's statement puts the lie to everything PE and all of the other haters have been saying since the Gopher Gang Bang Scandal first happened. The statement was very clear and extremely specific as to why he fired Claeys' ass. Among the other failings that he mentioned, Coyle left very little doubt that Claeys lied to him and then publicly undermined the decision of he and Kaler by publicly supporting the player boycott. I loved the fact that Coyle refused to sugarcoat the reasons for the firing. No hypocrisy and no bullsh*t. Claeys got exactly what he deserved for throwing Coyle and Kaler under the bus, and for failing to exercise the leadership and control over his team's private behavior and public actions that reasonable and rational people expect from every college coach of any sport.

If you believe Coyle then your view point is valid if not a bit naive. If you think Coyle lied and you believe Claey's version, then your just an asshat. Regardless, the press release isn't the issue, the press conference is IMO and it showed Coyle to be a classless dbag. I hope we are very successful and I hope I have to suffer that dbag for years as the Gophers win year after year...but if he stumbles, he will get the same ****ty treatment he gave Jerry Kill, Claeys and their staff.

Spoof, how does it go? Beetlejuice? LOL

You are 1/3 of the way there, BUT, be careful, if you go the whole way you will find yourself trying to explain why it is part of the job for the head of an athletic department to defuse volatile situations in that athletic department. Be sure you are prepared.

You are 1/3 of the way there, BUT, be careful, if you go the whole way you will find yourself trying to explain why it is part of the job for the head of an athletic department to defuse volatile situations in that athletic department. Be sure you are prepared.

I've got the popcorn ready boys, let's go! :)

The title of this thread has been dinging around in my head all day

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-4vgIgtOn0s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I am fine with how he fired Claeys as well. It is not an easy thing to do but Coyle takes the bull by the horns and does it. We are not accustomed to his style here in MN but he will lift the U to higher places. He fired the iconic wrestling coach in the same manner and many of the Gopher wrestling community were equally upset but JRob had to go. Period. Same with Claeys. You had to be at the Northwestern game last year to understand the need for this change. It was depressing for me to look around TCF and see the pitiful yet hardcore 25K fans who showed up for a potential 8 or 9 win team. Projecting the crowds for this year including the sex scandal it looked brutal for this year from an attendance standpoint. Coyle is performing a massive shift in direction, he is turning an Aircraft Carrier here not a Destroyer. There will be bruised ego's along the way but I believe we will get there and sooner than the national media thinks.

Leaders have to make tough decisions. A plan to bring in Fleck was in place before the scandal.

You think he had his sights on Fleck BEFORE the Cotton Bowl season....

Wow Coyle is a god......

Because just saying "I want my own guy", is the classy way to do it. Everyone has seen the news about the scandal ect. Plus the coaches were doing really good things academically and decent on the field. Ripping Claeys and throwing him under the bus was spineless, weak and classless. Real leaders don't pull crap like that. Weak leaders do.

Imagine if after a tough loss Fleck goes off in the presser and blames one or two of his players. That is basically what Coyle did.

I love where the team is now, but someone in Coyles position should have known better.

Ok He had his eye on him. I highly doubt the plan before the season was to hire Fleck.

Ok He had his eye on him. I highly doubt the plan before the season was to hire Fleck.
I think he did plan to hire Fleck or someone higher profile than Claeys all along. Nothing wrong with that if you are trying to win at a higher level. If you are satisfied with just having a good 'ol boy ball coach in place that is different.

Because just saying "I want my own guy", is the classy way to do it. Everyone has seen the news about the scandal ect. Plus the coaches were doing really good things academically and decent on the field. Ripping Claeys and throwing him under the bus was spineless, weak and classless. Real leaders don't pull crap like that. Weak leaders do.

Imagine if after a tough loss Fleck goes off in the presser and blames one or two of his players. That is basically what Coyle did.

I love where the team is now, but someone in Coyles position should have known better.
What did he say that was ripping Claeys. The press release was very well done. Not sure what he said during the presser that has so many upset.

I think they fired him because of his appearance, yes they are that shallow.

* Football team has several individuals involved in a gang bang that becomes national news.
* Underage recruit is at the big event.
* Later, numerous players have a harassment injunction filed against them.
* Football team again becomes national news when they vote to boycott a bowl game because they want to back their teammates, some of whom were treated unfairly.
* Football coach had told them he might lose his job if they boycott, but the team goes ahead and does it anyway.
* Football coach releases a tone deaf tweet where he lauds the team for its actions, despite the fact the scandal is one where a great many people are disgusted over what happened in that apartment.
* Also, controversy develops over what and when was the agreement about the suspensions.

Lots of tumult; lots of bad publicity; lots of media; lawyers threatening, demonstrations, etc. An absolutely bull**** statement to make is that Claeys was fired because of his appearance.

Top Bottom