Coyle? I need to know

What's your opinion on Coyle?

• Love him! Nothing but praise!

Votes: 32 34.4%
  • Hate him! Jim Carter's ascot is a better option.

Votes: 17 18.3%
  • Neutral. Not sure what to think yet

Votes: 44 47.3%

• Total voters
If it is not obvious, I was a big Kill fan. Thought he was the best thing since sliced bread. And I thought TC was a great sidekick, Assistant Coach.

But once Kill was done?

TC needed to go!!!!

I mean, come on, maybe HC at Ohio U? But the U of Mn? Come on.

He had not earned the job. This is not small business here. With the amount of money involved, no one should feel guilty about supposedly "not being loyal", etc.. I'm sorry but TC was paid well as an assistant coach and the U didn't owe him one single ounce of loyalty.

He never should have gotten the job in the first place. Honestly.

And for all of you hoping for the next Jesus Christ/Gandhi to be our President/AD/Head Coach, beware what you ask for!!! Seems our newest HC might have a little bit of a JC complex going on, and if it keeps our program clean, GREAT, but imagine if our AD and President were like him? is it really that unsettling that the AD might be a little less "righteous"??? I mean we could become a Christian college or something? Is that what you want?

I am a big fan of honesty and righteousness, etc.., I really am, but college sports is now a multi-BILLION dollar business that the U is WAY behind in the game.

Or maybe in the world we exist in today, just maybe someone like Coyle is exactly what the U needs?

So, what you are saying is that you are a big fan of honesty and righteousness, unless dishonesty and unrighteousness benefit you? Well, that is honest - although not righteous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My opinion of Coyle has not changed, he was a good hire and remains a good athletic director. There have been moments of what can be described as less than perfection on his part but I feel the athletic department is on solid ground. Drug scandals, sex scandals, hard to prepare for them and only Ruesse and Jesus Christ woud have handled them without an error. Oh Pat, your comments on PJ aren't annoying, rather they are pathetic. You haven't liked a FB coach since, (and may I quote Anthony Scaramucci?) since you sucked at Holtz's or was Holtz sucking it?

It's incriminating when members of the defense of the sanctity of the Claeys administration need to defend the inappropriate or appropriate uses of various phrases defining sexual acts.

Seriously, your bit ran it's course a long time ago.

So, what you are saying is that you are a big fan of honesty and righteousness, unless dishonesty and unrighteousness benefit you? Well, that is honest - although not righteous.

And you are a righteous man Spoofin?

I'm only asking, since you bring it up. And thank you for at least giving me credit for being honest. Btw, I will always be honest with you as long as it does not put anyone I know at risk.

I mean, the implication of your response is that YOU ARE righteous? If you are not, then what point were you trying to make?

And you are a righteous man Spoofin?

I'm only asking, since you bring it up. And thank you for at least giving me credit for being honest. Btw, I will always be honest with you as long as it does not put anyone I know at risk.

I mean, the implication of your response is that YOU ARE righteous? If you are not, then what point were you trying to make?

My point was obvious, I thought. I never claimed to be righteous. I'm not the one who stated that I value honesty and righteousness and followed it with my approval of someone for not being honest or righteous.

My point was obvious, I thought. I never claimed to be righteous. I'm not the one who stated that I value honesty and righteousness and followed it with my approval of someone for not being honest or righteous.

Is it impossible to actually value honesty and righteousness, yet understand that in SECULAR society very few people value the same things that I do?

In the real world Spoofin, its hard to find any evidence of honesty or righteousness. And even you claim not to be righteous, but what? You somehow expect it from others?

Isn't that kind of a double standard? Or maybe not? I guess I don't know what your system of values is? Are you willing to discuss them? You seem to want to comment on mine? I mean, fair is fair, right?

Is it impossible to actually value honesty and righteousness, yet understand that in SECULAR society very few people value the same things that I do?

In the real world Spoofin, its hard to find any evidence of honesty or righteousness. And even you claim not to be righteous, but what? You somehow expect it from others?

Isn't that kind of a double standard? Or maybe not? I guess I don't know what your system of values is? Are you willing to discuss them? You seem to want to comment on mine? I mean, fair is fair, right?

You still have no idea what I was pointing out. I don't care enough to explain it again. Go Gophers!

You still have no idea what I was pointing out. I don't care enough to explain it again. Go Gophers!

Spoofin, I could careless whether you hate Coyle or not, its not my business to be honest. And I couldn't really care less what your values or religion or anything is, either. You are a Gopher fan, so you are good with me. We'll maybe just have to agree to disagree about some of the minutia, eh? Sound good?

Go Gophers!!!

Spoofin, I could careless whether you hate Coyle or not, its not my business to be honest. And I couldn't really care less what your values or religion or anything is, either. You are a Gopher fan, so you are good with me. We'll maybe just have to agree to disagree about some of the minutia, eh? Sound good?

Go Gophers!!!

He was pointing out the irony of your posts. You either realized it and tried to pivot, or it went right over your head.

My opinion of Coyle has not changed, he was a good hire and remains a good athletic director. There have been moments of what can be described as less than perfection on his part but I feel the athletic department is on solid ground. Drug scandals, sex scandals, hard to prepare for them and only Ruesse and Jesus Christ woud have handled them without an error. Oh Pat, your comments on PJ aren't annoying, rather they are pathetic. You haven't liked a FB coach since, (and may I quote Anthony Scaramucci?) since you sucked at Holtz's or was Holtz sucking it?

Reuesse was not a supporter of the Holtz hire. He was at the Press at the time, Holtz was hired by the cabal he called the Brotherhood. The Cowles family, Sid, Harvey McKay...

I am very aware of the simple minded idea you were pointing out as a lame way of trying to devalue my opinion. And I definitely do not need you to explain it, lol. If I want simple minded explanations of complex issues, well... I don't, so....

And PMWinSTP - The irony in my posts? Life can or is ironic, 24/7/365.

And my comments are only ironic to the simple minded who don't understand the complexities of life, of politics, of different cultures all living together, of people of different religions or no religion at all and of different standards of ethics all living together in the same society.

I've already said this, the U of M is a VERY secular institution serving an entire state filled with a very diverse population.

I understand this, and as a fan, its best for me and everyone else involved if I keep from trying to impose my very unique and high standards upon ANYONE else, much less an entire University or just one individual working at that University.

So NOTHING ironic about it.

Govt officials, police officials, news correspondents, PARENTS, among others, often come to the conclusion that telling a lie is the best thing to do. Ever heard of situational ethics? Or maybe that is too complex of an idea for the simple minded?

Would you lie to protect lives? Would you feel that you should be judged for doing so?

Well, the University of Minnesota is one of the largest universities in the WORLD. So lying about one person, because you think it is in the best interest of the entire university and the tens of thousands of people directly associated with it and the hundreds of thousands of people indirectly affected by or associated with it, COULD be condoned by a large percentage of people out there.

And what was this horrible life destroying lie that was told? Oh, the reason why a HIGHLY paid coach at a major university was let go? LOL

WOW!!! TC is lucky he wasn't FIRED immediately after the 17 year old visiting recruit was involved with an adult woman in what has to be an illegal activity, right? Was he also drinking? Another crime committed under the supervision of Tracy Claeys? We want parents to trust their minor children to come visit our university, don't we???

So wait, Coyle was nice enough not to fire his arse immediately, he let him finish out the year, and win a bowl game, all which will help him get another coaching job in the future, something that wouldn't have helped was his getting fired immediately. And just maybe Coye wasn't just being nice, but was trying to look out for the overall best interest of the University by not firing him.

And he got paid well. But you want to nit pick about the AD not taking a bullet for TC and telling YOUR version of the truth, because you blame Coyle for some reason?

What, the coach that allowed such an embarrassing incident to happen should be treated with kid gloves after being allowed to finish out the season AND GET PAID for it?

Maybe Coyle should have told THIS version of the truth,

"We are letting the coach, who probably shouldn't have been given the job in the first place and who should have been fired months ago for allowing minors under his care to get involved in illegal activities while they were visiting our campus to go on under his watch, go now, after he helped us finish out the season thus letting the sting of this sex scandal sort of fade out of memory, because he deserves to be fired, but we are just going to let him go, and because we want to hire a much better option, someone in better physical shape, who is much less likely to have health complications like our beloved former coach Jerry Kill had, which sort of forced us to take on Tracy Claeys as head coach in the first place when his resume was not deserving of such a high profile job, and whose personality will help us sell the program to recruits and to fans, something TC seemed unable to do as well as he should have for a Head Coach at such a fine University as UMn. His recruiting efforts were subpar, attendance was down, he was leading the program in the wrong direction, so yeah, we are letting him go. Why wouldn't we, the University of Minnesota deserves much better than Tracy Claeys."

There, maybe Coyle should have been REALLY honest, eh?

But that would have hurt the U and would especially have hurt TC. So you probably wouldn't approve of THAT much honesty, right?

What? do you just want the version of the truth that you like the best. That would be selfish. Should petty desires come ahead of whats best for the U???

TC got treated far better than I think he should have been treated. Which is probably good because how he was treated was probably the best for the U.

I am very aware of the simple minded idea you were pointing out as a lame way of trying to devalue my opinion. And I definitely do not need you to explain it, lol. If I want simple minded explanations of complex issues, well... I don't, so....

And my comments are only ironic to the simple minded who don't understand the complexities of life, of politics, of different cultures all living together, of people of different religions or no religion at all and of different standards of ethics all living together in the same society.

I've already said this, the U of M is a VERY secular institution serving an entire state filled with a very diverse population.

I understand this, and as a fan, its best for me and everyone else involved if I keep from trying to impose my very unique and high standards upon ANYONE else, much less an entire University or just one individual working at that University.

Govt officials, police officials, news correspondents, PARENTS, among others, often come to the conclusion that telling a lie is the best thing to do. Ever heard of situational ethics? Or maybe that is too complex of an idea for the simple minded?

Would you lie to protect lives? Would you feel that you should be judged for doing so?

Well, the University of Minnesota is one of the largest universities in the WORLD. So lying about one person, because you think it is in the best interest of the entire university and the tens of thousands of people directly associated with it and the hundreds of thousands of people indirectly affected by or associated with it, COULD be condoned by a large percentage of people out there.

And what was this horrible life destroying lie that was told? Oh, the reason why a HIGHLY paid coach at a major university was let go? LOL

WOW!!! TC is lucky he wasn't FIRED immediately after the 17 year old visiting recruit was involved with an adult woman in what has to be an illegal activity, right? Was he also drinking? Another crime committed under the supervision of Tracy Claeys? We want parents to trust their minor children to come visit our university, don't we???

So wait, Coyle was nice enough not to fire his arse immediately, he let him finish out the year, and win a bowl game, all which will help him get another coaching job in the future, something that wouldn't have helped was his getting fired immediately. And just maybe Coye wasn't just being nice, but was trying to look out for the overall best interest of the University by not firing him.

And he got paid well. But you want to nit pick about the AD not taking a bullet for TC and telling YOUR version of the truth, because you blame Coyle for some reason?

What, the coach that allowed such an embarrassing incident to happen should be treated with kid gloves after being allowed to finish out the season AND GET PAID for it?

"We are letting the coach, who probably shouldn't have been given the job in the first place and who should have been fired months ago for allowing minors under his care to get involved in illegal activities while they were visiting our campus to go on under his watch, go now, after he helped us finish out the season thus letting the sting of this sex scandal sort of fade out of memory, because he deserves to be fired, but we are just going to let him go, and because we want to hire a much better option, someone in better physical shape, who is much less likely to have health complications like our beloved former coach Jerry Kill had, which sort of forced us to take on Tracy Claeys as head coach in the first place when his resume was not deserving of such a high profile job, and whose personality will help us sell the program to recruits and to fans, something TC seemed unable to do as well as he should have for a Head Coach at such a fine University as UMn. His recruiting efforts were subpar, attendance was down, he was leading the program in the wrong direction, so yeah, we are letting him go. Why wouldn't we, the University of Minnesota deserves much better than Tracy Claeys."

But that would have hurt the U and would especially have hurt TC. So you probably wouldn't approve of THAT much honesty, right?

What? do you just want the version of the truth that you like the best. That would be selfish. Should petty desires come ahead of whats best for the U???

TC got treated far better than I think he should have been treated. Which is probably good because how he was treated was probably the best for the U.
tenor.gif

Minnesota pride? You back now?

lol, yeah. Was it the length of the post or the spacing that you recognized or my tone and attitude maybe? :)

Been around for awhile, as PartoPitinosPosse for a short time, and Killmenow for awhile, I always forget my password each time I get a new laptop, but I think I've toned down overall, at least a little bit, I have tried. But apparently I can still get worked up, eh?

But of course I have to be around this year. This is probably the earliest I've started posting before though. But with PJF at the helm and the upcoming season of Gopher Men's BB starting in a few months, I gotta be here this season.

So maybe I should try to behave eh?

Got it. It went over your head at first, then you realized the irony and THIS is you PIVOT. I'm generally extremely WARY of those who find the need to OPENLY profess (and lecture) often to personally knowing and being of a higher MORAL character, in comparison to the rest of the MASSES.

Used all caps for EMPHASIS...how'd I do?

Got it. It went over your head at first, then you realized the irony and THIS is you PIVOT. I'm generally extremely WARY of those who find the need to OPENLY profess (and lecture) often to personally knowing and being of a higher MORAL character, in comparison to the rest of the MASSES.

Used all caps for EMPHASIS...how'd I do?

Complex issue = no irony = didn't go over my head.

And reading comprehension can go along way towards someone like yourself not misunderstanding others.

Example, I never once claimed or professed to be of a higher MORAL character than anyone, much less "the MASSES".

Another swing, another miss.

I can sleep without Kill/Claeys at the helm. Uncertain about Fleck, but the year is only half over. Losing the softball coach to Stanford bites. As for the investigation, I thought the school as a whole did just fine and an AD that would get in the way of that would have been a problem. Those that needed to go, did go. Those that needed to stay, stayed. Not much that the AD could do. Claeys, I think, had a ceiling of his own making. I liked the guy and wish him well.

I can sleep without Kill/Claeys at the helm. Uncertain about Fleck, but the year is only half over. Losing the softball coach to Stanford bites. As for the investigation, I thought the school as a whole did just fine and an AD that would get in the way of that would have been a problem. Those that needed to go, did go. Those that needed to stay, stayed. Not much that the AD could do. Claeys, I think, had a ceiling of his own making. I liked the guy and wish him well.

Coyle getting in the way of the the EOAA investigation and U's student disciplinary process would have been much more than just a problem. It would have triggered an NCAA investigation and multiple lawsuits against the U. The Gopher gang bang scandal would have been a major news story around the country for another year or two.

I voted neutral but am leaning toward liking him. We also need to keep in mind that his job responsibilities go beyond just the football program.

Coyle had every right in his mind to go out and get his own guy for a football coach. Tracy Claeys was essentially an interim head coach and was not going to be the the future face of the program regardless of how successful he was in 2016. Glen Mason even told Claeys himself not to accept any contract less than 5 years but Claeys took the job anyways on a 3-year deal with a very low buyout. That indicates he knew all along he may not last more than one season with a new AD in place.

I think Coyle had Fleck in mind all along and it was just a timing issue otherwise Coyle does not make that move and instead retains Claeys. It could have been handled better by both parties but it's also the business of big-time college athletics.

Coyle did not hesitate one bit to terminate J Robinson, who was at the U for a very long time.

Coyle made numerous attempts to extend Jessica Allister so you can't blame her for moving on to her alma mater Stanford. He did not hesitate one bit and hired Jamie Trachsel from Iowa State.

He stopped the "Scholarship Seating" Increase for 2017 within his first 60 days on the job.

Fundraising has picked up again after falling flat following the Teague scandal.

His job is to manage the overall athletic department and he won't be best friends with everyone, I think he has done pretty good his first year.

I voted neutral but am leaning toward liking him.

Based on your extremely rational and reasonable post, your vote should be removed from "Neutral", and added to "Love Him". The new updated vote tally should now be:

Love him! Nothing but praise! --------------------33

Hate him! Jim Carter's ascot is a better option. ---17

Neutral. Not sure what to think yet.--------------42

Top Bottom