MN Daily: After 13 years in the WNBA, Lindsay Whalen stays involved with her U

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Daily:

From Hutchinson, Minnesota to Minneapolis, Lindsay Whalen hasn’t strayed from Minnesota.

She didn’t leave her school behind either.

Whalen, a former Minnesota point guard from 2000-04, has proven she can thrive at every level, breaking the record for most wins among WNBA players, but she also stayed close to the Gophers program.

“I try to go to a practice or two every year,” Whalen said. “When I’m in the Twin Cities I try to go to the Barn and check out the game.”

While her busy schedule of playing for the Lynx and playing overseas keeps her away, Whalen wishes she could be around the Gophers program more.

Being physically present isn’t the only way to stay connected to her alma mater, but the distance from Williams Arena to either Target Center, or the Lynx current home, the Xcel Energy Center, is a small one.

“I’m very lucky,” Whalen said. “I’m from here, I’ve gotten to play here as a college athlete and now as a pro athlete, so it makes it easy to stay in touch, and stay following Gopher sports as much as I can.”

The influence on the Gophers women’s basketball program isn’t all just through the current team.

Former Gophers star Rachel Banham is on a similar path to Whalen, since she was drafted fourth overall by and plays for the same team that Whalen did, the Connecticut Sun.

“I’ve definitely tried to … be as helpful to her as I can be,” Whalen said. “Any advice that I can give her I try to do. She’s doing great. She’s got a real great start to her career.”

http://www.mndaily.com/article/2017/07/after-13-years-wnba-lindsay-whalen-invovled-alma-mater

Go Gophers!!

I'm thinking Connecticut might be willing to deal Banham after this season. Their guard depth includes Jasmine Thomas (2017 All Star), former starter Alex Bentley, and an improved Courtney Williams, Banham, and they also have Stricklen who is a G/F. They'll be possibly adding deferred draft pick Romero next season, plus they now have 4 draft picks from the deep draft class of 2018. Conditions are ripe for a trade for the Lynx (Roger probably has designs on Banham), and they probably wouldn't have to give up much.... rights to Anna Cruz, maybe?

I'm thinking Connecticut might be willing to deal Banham after this season. Their guard depth includes Jasmine Thomas (2017 All Star), former starter Alex Bentley, and an improved Courtney Williams, Banham, and they also have Stricklen who is a G/F. They'll be possibly adding deferred draft pick Romero next season, plus they now have 4 draft picks from the deep draft class of 2018. Conditions are ripe for a trade for the Lynx (Roger probably has designs on Banham), and they probably wouldn't have to give up much.... rights to Anna Cruz, maybe?

I hope they do work out a deal. It was the exact route for Whalen . I think Rodger finally figured out it's good for the team to have women who played here if they can make a fair trade. I really hope Whalen eventually takes a direct role in the U 's program when she retires.

If Stallings does not get it together I can see Whalen being offered the HC job if she lobbied for it at all. I think she could recruit very well, and I do not question her leadership skills at all. If I were Coyle I'd be working on this already, assuming Whalen is interested. One of the former Olympians ( Dawn Staley?) coached at Temple while she was playing in the WNBA, but I think Whalen is about finished playing.

If Stallings does not get it together I can see Whalen being offered the HC job if she lobbied for it at all. I think she could recruit very well, and I do not question her leadership skills at all. If I were Coyle I'd be working on this already, assuming Whalen is interested. One of the former Olympians ( Dawn Staley?) coached at Temple while she was playing in the WNBA, but I think Whalen is about finished playing.

If it were possible, I'd rather go Peterson as head coach with Whalen as an assistant. Don't want to throw Whalen into the deep end.

http://lynx.wnba.com/news/lindsay-whalen-injury-update/

The Minnesota Lynx today announced that Lindsay Whalen underwent successful surgery to repair a fracture of her fifth metacarpal in her left hand today at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. Whalen will be sidelined indefinitely and a further update will be provided when appropriate.

The injury occurred during the third quarter of last night’s 69-54 Lynx victory over the Atlanta Dream.

The 14-year veteran started all 22 games for the Lynx this season, averaging 8.0 points (45.1%), 2.5 rebounds and a team-high 4.1 assists per game.

I figured it was broken based on her reaction. She is the opposite of a drama queen and looked in pain last night. Hope she heals fast and I'm glad it was her left pinky.

Top Bottom