P.J. Fleck, Gophers to be featured in four-part ESPN series

DanielHouse

Reaction score
ESPN has announced a new four-part series called BEING P.J. Fleck, featuring the Gopher football program. According to the release, the series will follow the day-to-day life of Coach Fleck as he prepares for his first season as head coach. The shows will air on ESPN U starting in early August.

Here's the schedule (times ET):

Wed, Aug 2 9 p.m. BEING P.J. Fleck: Episode 1 ESPNU
Wed, Aug 9 9 p.m. BEING P.J. Fleck: Episode 2 ESPNU
Wed, Aug 16 9 p.m. BEING P.J. Fleck: Episode 3 ESPNU
Wed, Aug 23 9 p.m. BEING P.J. Fleck: Episode 4 ESPNU

For more, here's the complete release: http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2017/07/espn-chronicles-minnesota-head-football-coach-p-j-fleck-heading-first-season/

I'm always skeptical about every last PR bit being credited with helping crooting... but I do like this one.

At the risk of being called cynical - I wonder how much of this will be about Fleck - and how much will be about Gopher FB. Just reading the synopsis in the press release, it sounds like a lot of the show is focusing on Fleck the person as opposed to Fleck the FB coach - visiting his home town, learning about his coaching influences, and so forth.

As a FB fan, I would be more interested in a program that focuses on the challenges of taking over a program - especially for a young coach moving up to a major college program for the first time - but more Football-centered as opposed to personality-centered. And that holds true whether we're talking about Fleck or any other new coach. It's like watching the Olympics - I want to see actual competition, not another "up close and personal" feature about some 14 year old gymnast.

Here's a copy of the press release just sent out (that Daniel linked to) ->

Being P.J. Fleck Debuts August 2 on ESPNU

Note: A trailer from YouTube for the series can be found here: https://z.umn.edu/beingpj

University of Minnesota football coach P.J. Fleck will be featured in a four-part series on ESPNU that chronicles Fleck’s first couple months of leading the Gophers.

The series – titled Being P.J. Fleck – debuts on Aug. 2 at 8 p.m. CT and a new 30-minute episode will air the following three Wednesdays on August 9, 16 and 23 on ESPNU. Each episode will be available on demand via ESPN streaming devices.

Being P.J. Fleck, co-produced by Sports Talk with Bo Mattingly and JM Associates, follows the energetic coach throughout the offseason, and documents him in various settings, which includes teams meetings, hospital visits and motivational speeches around the country. Fans will also get a glimpse of Fleck’s upbringing, including seeing his hometown, hearing from his family and understanding the personal impact of two major coaching influences in Mike Nolan (New Orleans Saints linebackers coach) and Jim Tressel (Youngstown State president and former Ohio State coach).

“To no surprise, P.J. is all heart, all the time,” said co-executive producer Bo Mattingly. “Throughout the filming, which continues for a few more weeks, we capture his personality, passion and drive with his family, team and others he interacts with in various situations.”

Fleck was named head football coach at Minnesota on Jan. 6, 2017, and is the 30th head coach in the program’s history. Fleck, 36, is one the youngest and brightest minds in the game and came to Minnesota after spending four years as the head coach at Western Michigan, where he was 30-22 overall and 21-11 in the Mid-American Conference.

While leading the Broncos, Fleck authored one of the most memorable turnarounds in college football history. The Broncos were 1-11 in his first year in 2013, but ended last season with a No. 12 ranking, a 13-1 record, a conference championship and a berth in the Cotton Bowl. Fleck was named MAC Coach of the Year in 2014 and 2016 and last season he led the Broncos to their first MAC Championship since 1988.

Fleck and the Gophers start the 2017 season against Buffalo at 6 p.m. on Aug. 31 at TCF Bank Stadium. Tickets are on sale now.

-Gopher Football-

how much of this will be about Fleck - and how much will be about Gopher FB.

They weren't going to do a 4 part show about Gopher FB.... so prepare to be cynical.

At the same time PJ knows everyone has to look good in this to help with PR and crooting in order to further his career. So presumably the whole program is shown in a good light as well, but this is PJ's show.

Either way if it gets us some attention, maybe some croot'n help and Ws... everyone wins.

At the risk of being called cynical - I wonder how much of this will be about Fleck - and how much will be about Gopher FB. Just reading the synopsis in the press release, it sounds like a lot of the show is focusing on Fleck the person as opposed to Fleck the FB coach - visiting his home town, learning about his coaching influences, and so forth.

As a FB fan, I would be more interested in a program that focuses on the challenges of taking over a program - especially for a young coach moving up to a major college program for the first time - but more Football-centered as opposed to personality-centered. And that holds true whether we're talking about Fleck or any other new coach. It's like watching the Olympics - I want to see actual competition, not another "up close and personal" feature about some 14 year old gymnast.

If it is more about Fleck that means it is about us. It will probably be centered around both.

I don't think we have to worry about them blacking out or fuzzing out the "M" everytime they show a site at the U.
So, I think that means it will be about the U as much as Fleck.

But for each 60 minutes of on-air time, I'd guess you'll see Fleck about 97% of the time, and the "M" logo, Goldy Gopher, or the U of M campus about 50% of the time.

If you are expecting more of the U of M and less of Fleck, wait for the series named "Being the University of Minnesota" instead of "Being PJ Fleck".

If it is more about Fleck that means it is about us. It will probably be centered around both.

PJ Fleck is Minnesota football. If he does leave us someday for a better job I think it is a good problem to have. I'd rather hire coaches who leave for a better job than buy them out.

The biggest negative I see is that it's only on ESPN U. Not worried about it being too Fleck-centric.

Love it. Row the Boat.

Go Gophers!!

yeah, not sure why anyone would really see this as a bad thing. Who cares if it is more about Fleck then the team, it is still publicity for the program and a chance to get seen across the country. You can be sure Fleck will use this opportunity to cast himself and the program in a good light because he knows there is a good chance recruits will see it.

Edit - Just watched the promo clip, don't think anyone has to worry about the U not getting enough attention as the program was all over the promo. This has the potential to be a great publicity move for the program with little to no downside.

I mean, you do know you're cynical, right?

yeah, not sure why anyone would really see this as a bad thing. Who cares if it is more about Fleck then the team, it is still publicity for the program and a chance to get seen across the country. You can be sure Fleck will use this opportunity to cast himself and the program in a good light because he knows there is a good chance recruits will see it.

Edit - Just watched the promo clip, don't think anyone has to worry about the U not getting enough attention as the program was all over the promo. This has the potential to be a great publicity move for the program with no downside.

FIFY.

This is phenomenal, period. Then an exclamation point!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edit - Just watched the promo clip, don't think anyone has to worry about the U not getting enough attention as the program was all over the promo. This has the potential to be a great publicity move for the program with little to no downside.

1st paragraph? Absolutely.

2nd paragraph? Yep. It's gonna be aired before the season starts. Can't see how there can be any downside to it.

Wait a minute. A series called BEING PJ Fleck, is going to be about PJ and not Gopher Football?

This show will be fun. Loved the promo. "If you can't do the right thing, then I won't keep you here and I will not play you. Ever". This PJF I love.

This show will be fun. Loved the promo. "If you can't do the right thing, then I won't keep you here and I will not play you. Ever". This PJF I love.

Yeah we haven't heard much of that from PJ at this point.

Yeah we haven't heard much of that from PJ at this point.

It sure as hell beats Howphers and Happiness vs Joy, etc. More of the former, less of the latter.

This can only be good. Another vehicle for a salesman to sell and he will be selling Gopher football as well as himself.

It sure as hell beats Howphers and Happiness vs Joy, etc. More of the former, less of the latter.

Yeah I think PJ maybe has an opportunity where he is selling a lot of positives, but locals like to hear him yell at players too.

So - not that it really matters for me personally but I have a question regarding the overall reach of this mini-series. I live in Alabama and have Directv...Episode 1 still is not listed on ESPNU for its time slot. It is, however, listed on BTN. Is this only going to air on ESPNU in "BIG10 Country" or is the DirecTV guide selectively inaccurate?

I'll watch it either way as I have both channels, but just curious if anyone knows the answer to this question. If ESPNU is only airing it regionally, it might not get the national exposure that some people are anticipating.

So - not that it really matters for me personally but I have a question regarding the overall reach of this mini-series. I live in Alabama and have Directv...Episode 1 still is not listed on ESPNU for its time slot. It is, however, listed on BTN. Is this only going to air on ESPNU in "BIG10 Country" or is the DirecTV guide selectively inaccurate?

I'll watch it either way as I have both channels, but just curious if anyone knows the answer to this question. If ESPNU is only airing it regionally, it might not get the national exposure that some people are anticipating.

I have Spectrum Cable here in Florida and my program guide lists the last hour of the Pitt/Clemson game from last season in the 9 to 10 slot. It shows BTN Live in that slot on BTN. I'm not sure what gives here.

Not on my DirecTV guide yet either (in MN). I went to the search feature and searched out the show title and just said "record when available".

Not on my DirecTV guide yet either (in MN). I went to the search feature and searched out the show title and just said "record when available".

That's what I did as well, and that's when I saw that it was on BTN. Thanks for your response and good to know that it's still not showing in MN. Makes it more likely that it is an overall ESPNU update lag and not a regional thing like I feared.

Or, Did ESPN bail on the show and sold it off to BTN?

That's what I did as well, and that's when I saw that it was on BTN. Thanks for your response and good to know that it's still not showing in MN. Makes it more likely that it is an overall ESPNU update lag and not a regional thing like I feared.

We have DISH. The 1st Episode "Into the Fire" is on ESPNU at 8:00 Central time. It repeats 16 times after that thru Monday 8/7. The first 3 times on ESPNU the others on BTN.

Top Bottom