GH Podcast: Jay Sawvel on controversial end to a Gopher football era (ep. 26)

People should listen to the podcast rather than listen to that.

Sure - anyone that only reads headlines. Literally zero people that know the details of that crisis should think so.
Again, that's your opinion. I know as much detail as most, kept up with it in the news and on here and have little issue with the way it went down.

On the bright side, someday this board will stop the Claeys/Kill vs Fleck arguments. Of course, that will happen when Fleck leaves, and we can start the Fleck vs. New Coach argument.

Nothing in certain in life except death, taxes, and Gopher hole arguing over coaches and quarterbacks. And cockroaches - they survive everything.

I'd add "talent"* as well.

Yeah it's been so easy for AD's to hire their top choices for coaches at Minnesota. Just a year ago most of the people on here wanted Pitino fired. Kaler rolled the bus over Pitino at Coyle's opening press conference far more than Coyle did to Claeys when he fired him. I'm sure it was real easy for Coyle to repair that relationship. I'm sure anyone can just do those things, especially at a place that hasn't won anything in 50 years. So easy!

The 'crisis' started due to Claeys lack of leadership and control over the actions of his players. It was also caused by the EOAA's joke of a 'process' which Coyle had nothing to do with. It was then even further magnified by Claeys lack of leadership in going against his bosses wishes. In the end, even according to Sawvel, the players that deserved to be punished were punished and the players that deserved to be cleared were cleared. While that was happening, Coyle did his job and hired someone who can handle all aspects of leading a football program. Not just X's and O's on defense.

The players literally said the lack of communication and respect is what instigated the boycott, after the inclusion of the second five. Sawvel alluded to that, along with some other things. But by all means continue to stick your fingers in your ears.

Stay at Western and get a 10 year contract?

My point is, did Coyle sell Fleck or did Fleck survey the openings, look at his returning roster, and decide to take the best available opening. Solid team, good returning talent, new facilities, major media market in the Big ten. Major payday. Did he really need to be convinced?

My point is, did Coyle sell Fleck or did Fleck survey the openings, look at his returning roster, and decide to take the best available opening. Solid team, good returning talent, new facilities, major media market in the Big ten. Major payday. Did he really need to be convinced?

Not going to go back and look at old threads but weren't you one of the people saying what player/coach would want to come here?

Players hated the administration and many said they were going to transfer. Coming off a national bad news story it absolutely had to be sold to Fleck.

The players literally said the lack of communication and respect is what instigated the boycott, after the inclusion of the second five. Sawvel alluded to that, along with some other things. But by all means continue to stick your fingers in your ears.

I know why they boycotted and it's the fault of the University/EOAA not Coyle. Coyle couldn't discuss university punishments that he had nothing to do with due to privacy laws. He suspended them from the bowl game because he had no other choice from what came down from the University. Keep avoiding facts.

If Claeys didn't have time to read the report or understand why the suspensions were happening, it's his job to control the players until he gets everything straightened out. That's why his salary was still nearly double of what Coyle's is.

I know why they boycotted and it's the fault of the University/EOAA not Coyle. <b>Coyle couldn't discuss university punishments that he had nothing to do with due to privacy laws. </b>He suspended them from the bowl game because he had no other choice from what came down from the University. Keep avoiding facts.

If Claeys didn't have time to read the report or understand why the suspensions were happening, it's his job to control the players until he gets everything straightened out. That's why his salary was still nearly double of what Coyle's is.

The bolded part is missing the point. It is what you and the few other Coyle-backers keep pointing to, and it explains nothing of Coyle's mishandling of the situation. Nothing. Go listen to Sawvell's interview again, only actually listen this time. No one was expecting MC to go into private details or specifics on kids, what they were accused of, etc. They wanted him to explain how extra kids got included months after and what was going to happen from there. Not specifics, but processes and the almighty U procedures that Cruze thinks are so dialed in. Coyle F'd it up. The kids said so, but you keep going with "he couldn't say anything". Sawvell said it, but you explain that away too. No chance Coyle could have just mishandled it tho. Taking your fingers out of your ears is a great suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where else was Fleck going to go? Serious question.

I've been down that road before. Let me save you some time..... Any job he wanted. He was the hot commodity. Maybe the hottest of all time. FIRE. He backed away from all those other jobs. Told Purdue he didn't even want to meet. Told Oregon to shove it up their West Coast Arse. Wouldn't even stoop to acknowledging Baylor and Cincy interest.

Jay is a great coach and a class act. Just me, but I think Coyle had PJ locked up , or ready to land "before" the incident. You can chastise Coyle all you want , and yes he could've handled something's differently, but I think Tracy needed to win the B1G Ten West and play for the B1G Ten Championship. without the incident in order to keep his job. Even then, I not sure he would've got beyond a 3 year extension. Clayes was up a creek without a paddle. And yes, great job Nadine

Fleck was not willing to throw Claeys any oars.

The bolded part is missing the point. It is what you and the few other Coyle-backers keep pointing to, and it explains nothing of Coyle's mishandling of the situation. Nothing. Go listen to Sawvell's interview again, only actually listen this time. No one was expecting MC to go into private details or specifics on kids, what they were accused of, etc. They wanted him to explain how extra kids got included months after and what was going to happen from there. Not specifics, but processes and the almighty U procedures that Cruze thinks are so dialed in. Coyle F'd it up. The kids said so, but you keep going with "he couldn't say anything". Sawvell said it, but you explain that away too. No chance Coyle could have just mishandled it tho. Taking your fingers out of your ears is a great suggestion.

So well stated.

And the last thing Kaler said to Coyle before they agreed to his contract was "you will make sure Claeys and his staff is gone by the end of the year, right?"

And exactly who leaked "incident" to the media? Presidents office or AD's office? Like Sawvel said, looking back the signs were everywhere that this staff wouldnt last long.

That's not Coyles job. The EOAA/University included the extra kids for their own reasoning. It's their job to explain to the kids why they are in trouble and for the kids to appeal through them. Not through the AD. The AD had nothing to do with it.

That's not Coyles job. The EOAA/University included the extra kids for their own reasoning. It's their job to explain to the kids why they are in trouble and for the kids to appeal through them. Not through the AD. The AD had nothing to do with it.

Follow Along. Not specifics - the process/procedures. Not his job? Wow. Go listen to the Sawvell interview again. You may even want to take your Coyle FatHead down afterwards.

That's not Coyles job. The EOAA/University included the extra kids for their own reasoning. It's their job to explain to the kids why they are in trouble and for the kids to appeal through them. Not through the AD. The AD did nothing.

FIFY

Your first sentence is a complete joke. He's the AD. THE head of the athletic department and the A#1 administrator. His job is to handle all things in athletics, especially things of that nature. He should know the ins and outs of the entire process and should be able to explain those processes to anyone that is going through it or is directly impacted by it. Which the entire team would be.

FIFY

Your first sentence is a complete joke. He's the AD. THE head of the athletic department and the A#1 administrator. His job is to handle all things in athletics, especially things of that nature. He should know the ins and outs of the entire process and should be able to explain those processes to anyone that is going through it or is directly impacted by it. Which the entire team would be.

Think about that. GWG is saying that it isn't Coyle's job to communicate with team leaders who are asking him to communicate with them and that are about to boycott because of something that is happening with an athletic team in the athletic department that he is the head of. I'm not even sure how to respond to such a crazy thought.

Follow Along. Not specifics - the process/procedures. Not his job? Wow. Go listen to the Sawvell interview again. You may even want to take your Coyle FatHead down afterwards.

You're the one who can't follow along. It's also why you're in the far minority. Coyle isn't a part of the EOAA process. That's a completely different section of the University. You expect Coyle to understand the inner workings of that office and everything they do? The only people that can explain the process is the University/Kaler/EOAA. The players received notification of their academic suspensions/expulsions through them. Coyle likely found out the same way Claeys did when he received a copy of report after which he had no choice to suspend all of them. Which is exactly what every AD would do.

You're the one who can't follow along. It's also why you're in the far minority. Coyle isn't a part of the EOAA process. That's a completely different section of the University. You expect Coyle to understand the inner workings of that office and everything they do? The only people that can explain the process is the University/Kaler/EOAA. The players received notification of their academic suspensions/expulsions through them. Coyle likely found out the same way Claeys did when he received a copy of report after which he had no choice to suspend all of them. Which is exactly what every AD would do.

You are right about one thing - I can't follow your logic. Far Minority? Riiiiiiight.

You are right about one thing - I can't follow your logic. Far Minority? Riiiiiiight.

Minority is right. The only people who refuse to understand are the same handful of people on here who can't let it go. Those same people were the biggest supporters of Claeys and didn't want him fired.

You're mad at Coyle for firing your guy. That's fine. Admit it and move on. Don't keep letting your bitterness for that get in the way of what actually happened.

Minority is right. The only people who refuse to understand are the same handful of people on here who can't let it go. Those same people were the biggest supporters of Claeys and didn't want him fired.

You're mad at Coyle for firing your guy. That's fine. Admit it and move on. Don't keep letting your bitterness for that get in the way of what actually happened.

I'm sure glad you aren't one of those that can't let it go. Have fun with your FatHead.

I proudly put up a Coyle fathead.... but it slowly fell down and hid behind my dresser :(

I proudly put up a Coyle fathead.... but it slowly fell down and hid behind my dresser :(

giphy.gif

So many opinions and so little logic!

Let's go over a few things:
* Sawvel confirmed that he felt there was little chance of the coaching staff being retained. He said the AD kept his distance from the football program, almost like you don't want to get too close to the people you are going to let go.
* let's ignore the obvious problems with the investigation just for this discussion
* Sawvel and Claeys F'd up by not controlling the handling of a recruit and by not setting a well established standard of conduct of their players. No player should enough have the slightest doubt that certain behaviors are out of bounds. "You represent the University" type standards.
* Claeys F'd up by going to the players meeting without knowing what was in the report! Sawvel said that Claeys went over to get the report right after the players meeting where the players decided to boycott. It was his responsibility to inform the players with as much information as possible. He should have demanded that the players delay their meeting a few hours so he would have time to review the report. He let the players down and set himself and the players up to fail.
*Claeys F'd up by tweeting out a poorly worded statement before he knew all of the details in the report.
*Coyle made mistakes, but there is plenty of blame to go around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So many opinions and so little logic!

Let's go over a few things:
* Sawvel confirmed that he felt there was little chance of the coaching staff being retained. He said the AD kept his distance from the football program, almost like you don't want to get too close to the people you are going to let go.
* let's ignore the obvious problems with the investigation just for this discussion
* Sawvel and Claeys F'd up by not controlling the handling of a recruit and by not setting a well established standard of conduct of their players. No player should enough have the slightest doubt that certain behaviors are out of bounds. "You represent the University" type standards.
* Claeys F'd up by going to the players meeting without knowing what was in the report! Sawvel said that Claeys went over to get the report right after the players meeting where the players decided to boycott. It was his responsibility to inform the players with as much information as possible. He should have demanded that the players delay their meeting a few hours so he would have time to review the report. He let the players down and set himself and the players up to fail.
*Claeys F'd up by tweeting out a poorly worded statement before he knew all of the details in the report.
*Coyle made mistakes, but there is plenty of blame to go around. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You got everything exactly right except your comment about the EOAA investigation. The investigation was mandated by Title IX and the U had no authority to prevent it. My guess is that it was probably as thorough an investigation as any college or university has ever produced. The investigators interviewed far more witnesses and produced significantly more evidence than the Minneapolis police department and the Hennepin County attorney's office put together. Of course, most GopherHolers wouldn't know that because they have never given the EOAA report anything more than a cursory look. The critics decided it was biased and unfair before they even clicked on the link. Their own bias and hypocrisy is laughable.

Funny...all 5 of the kids falsely kept from playing in a bowl game were exonerated. Kinda makes the EOAA report look like the witch hunt it was.
Have your opinion @Cruze, but don't imagine the investigation was some spectacular effort by a bunch of amateur slueths.

Funny...all 5 of the kids falsely kept from playing in a bowl game were exonerated. Kinda makes the EOAA report look like the witch hunt it was.
Have your opinion @Cruze, but don't imagine the investigation was some spectacular effort by a bunch of amateur slueths.

It a complete bit with Cruze. Worn out, transparent, trolling bit.

Top Bottom