GH Podcast: Jay Sawvel on controversial end to a Gopher football era (ep. 26)

Don't care how well our teams do in the future...I will forever dislike and not trust Mark Coyle. He is a snake in the grass and dbag and totally lacked any credibility after the way he handled the Claey firing/Fleck hiring. Not arguing the fire or the hire...but class is class and Coyle doesn't have any of it IMO.

It goes without saying one does not rise through the ranks of bureaucrats without playing the politics game and avoiding the blame for mishaps. Coyle has repeatedly shown he disappears when things get tough; is it possible he created a false narrative for the firing to avoid having to take any heat for simply bringing in his guys....; he practices the art of plausible deniability with layers of player training, committees, sub-committees, brought in legal groups, and has even formed a fan committee to tell him what fans want (there is, ah, email and social media these days - the pony express days are long gone). The school is concerned about the most likely sources of legal exposure and well-be -damned if they throw people under the bus. Those individuals are throw aways to a bureaucrat.

Every decision is made with a finger in the air, measuring the risk of career destruction and/or legal intervention and choosing the less difficult route. Such is the life of a top bureaucrat.
Apt descriptions; he showed his stripes from day one! I have a deep loathing for the type of bureaucrat Coyle is, the definition of a "Blue Falcon", will be found with Mark Coyle's name on it.
(for those not in the know it's another term for buddy f____r.)

It goes without saying one does not rise through the ranks of bureaucrats without playing the politics game and avoiding the blame for mishaps. Coyle has repeatedly shown he disappears when things get tough; is it possible he created a false narrative for the firing to avoid having to take any heat for simply bringing in his guys....; he practices the art of plausible deniability with layers of player training, committees, sub-committees, brought in legal groups, and has even formed a fan committee to tell him what fans want (there is, ah, email and social media these days - the pony express days are long gone). The school is concerned about the most likely sources of legal exposure and well-be -damned if they throw people under the bus. Those individuals are throw aways to a bureaucrat.

Every decision is made with a finger in the air, measuring the risk of career destruction and/or legal intervention and choosing the less difficult route. Such is the life of a top bureaucrat.

I disagree he created a false narrative. Claeys provided him with a narrative that was a more digestible sell for all the reasons you mention. If he had a spine and was a leader, he'd be the perfect AD for Minnesota. He lacks both, regardless of what Mrs. Coyle consistently posts here. At least she's keeping his kids off the board now, that was sad. Parsing the information with what we already knew, Coyle could not have commented about the why the players were suspended, but he could have explained the process to them. He either could or would not. Neither of those things is acceptable, but are the hallmark of a successful* bureaucrat, I agree.

Apt descriptions; he showed his stripes from day one! I have a deep loathing for the type of bureaucrat Coyle is, the definition of a "Blue Falcon", will be found with Mark Coyle's name on it.
(for those not in the know it's another term for buddy f____r.)

I have no issue Coyle wanted to bring in his "guy" to coach. I don't agree with it, but it's his right as the boss. I do have issues with how he handled it, and that character, or lack thereof, is his to own. No matter what any of us say, he's the one that has to look himself in the face in the mirror. Unless he's equally adept at hiding from that responsibility as well.

LMAO. The wit and and wisdom of one of our GopherHole diehards who is going to spend the next couple of decades hoping and posting for Coyle to get fired. He is going have a VERY long wait. Even the most conservative members of the Board of Regents already love Coyle and how he is performing in his job.

Cruze - you may want to find Jay Sawvell's email and educate him too on all the things he doesn't get. He never once blamed MC for firing him, but was pretty clear about the lack of communication MC had at a critical time, and the BS reasoning he spewed at that infamous presser for the coach change. Essentially, he is calling out MC's honesty, ethics, communication, and effectiveness. You know, all the things some of us call him out for on here and you are quick to explain how little we get it. What does Jay know? He could benefit from your wisdom as well, I'm sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate the phrase, "spot on", but your post is just that.

Jay is a great coach and a class act. Just me, but I think Coyle had PJ locked up , or ready to land "before" the incident. You can chastise Coyle all you want , and yes he could've handled something's differently, but I think Tracy needed to win the B1G Ten West and play for the B1G Ten Championship. without the incident in order to keep his job. Even then, I not sure he would've got beyond a 3 year extension. Clayes was up a creek without a paddle. And yes, great job Nadine

I was fortunate to have had a very candid conversation with Mark Coyle regarding the previous staff's dismissal. He'll leave a lot to be defined by the media but I don't believe it will effect his decisions. I felt very different after having done so. Time will tell how this turns out. I will definitely miss Sawvell's defense. No way he would have stayed.

Sawvel: "Once the shot has been fired you can't take it back."

We all know that the snakes, Coyle and Kaler, pulled the trigger...then they blamed Claeys.

I have no respect for those two a-holes. The U will be better off when both are forcibly removed from their offices and shown the door.

Jay is a great coach and a class act. Just me, but I think Coyle had PJ locked up , or ready to land "before" the incident. You can chastise Coyle all you want , and yes he could've handled something's differently, but I think Tracy needed to win the B1G Ten West and play for the B1G Ten Championship. without the incident in order to keep his job. Even then, I not sure he would've got beyond a 3 year extension. Clayes was up a creek without a paddle. And yes, great job Nadine

I suspect you are right. My opinion lands right where Sawvell's statements did today. Essentially - that is OK, but be a man, be honest, and say it. All the BS used instead is my issue - and I think most peoples. Those that keep arguing "it was his right", "he wanted his guy", etc. miss the point - the dude stood up there and made up reasons why he was doing it rather than just saying it. I honestly believe 90% of the people irritated by the firing are irritated for that reason - not that TC is gone in favor of PJF.

We all know that the snakes, Coyle and Kaler, pulled the trigger...then they blamed Claeys.

I have no respect for those two a-holes. The U will be better off when both are forcibly removed from their offices and shown the door.

Yup head coaches and Defensive/DB coaches are not responsible for their players. Especially when a DB recruit is on campus. All the AD and Pres fault...

Beetlejuice

I've never heard things cleared up and the story told the way Jay did. He is such a rare person - he's fair, honest, not bitter, grateful, and really told a perspective I hadn't heard. This was probably one of my top 5 interviews I've ever done...and quite honestly, I could have talked to him for 2 more hours. Please take a listen if you have time.

Just finished it. Great job by both you and Mr.Sawvel.

Any day now...

I suspect you are right. My opinion lands right where Sawvell's statements did today. Essentially - that is OK, but be a man, be honest, and say it. All the BS used instead is my issue - and I think most peoples. Those that keep arguing "it was his right", "he wanted his guy", etc. miss the point - the dude stood up there and made up reasons why he was doing it rather than just saying it. I honestly believe 90% of the people irritated by the firing are irritated for that reason - not that TC is gone in favor of PJF.

Spot on sir

After listening to the podcast, a couple of thoughts.

Sawvel clearly believes that Kill and his staff did bring about a significant change in the team's "culture." They got kids going to class, getting good grades, and staying out of trouble. (one incident in 5 years is pretty good by today's college FB standards.) And, they did that while winning 8 games or more in 3 of 4 seasons.

Bottom line - they left the program in much better shape than they found it.

And Sawvel made it clear that the Coaches and players did not condone the actions of the players who were directly involved in the incident. Their concern was for the second five who were dragged into the matter by the EOAA - the same five who were all eventually exonerated through the appeal process.

Thank you Nadine and Coach Sawvel for a great listen, very informative.

Consistently good, strong instate players, quarterback position, and facilities were the four factors Coach Sawvel mentioned as making a football program successful. The facilities aspect is being taken care of but the other factors are going to be far more difficult to obtain as it takes more than donations and naming rights.

Go Gophers.

Yup head coaches and Defensive/DB coaches are not responsible for their players. Especially when a DB recruit is on campus. All the AD and Pres fault...

Continue to ignore the honesty,ethics, leadership issues. Sooner or later what comes around goes around.

Perfect.

Agreed. Exactly why Claeys was fired.

Wait. I thought you have said Claeys was fired because MC wanted to bring in PJF, had it in the works all along, and because he wasn't cut out to be a head coach. Now you are saying it was because TC was dishonest and unethical (as if MC would consider that bad)? Wait, none of this is why MC said he fired TC? I'm really confused.

On the bright side, someday this board will stop the Claeys/Kill vs Fleck arguments. Of course, that will happen when Fleck leaves, and we can start the Fleck vs. New Coach argument.

Nothing in certain in life except death, taxes, and Gopher hole arguing over coaches and quarterbacks. And cockroaches - they survive everything.

On the bright side, someday this board will stop the Claeys/Kill vs Fleck arguments. Of course, that will happen when Fleck leaves, and we can start the Fleck vs. New Coach argument.

That depends on how well we do. If the Kill era is still a high water mark then it won't end...

Wait. I thought you have said Claeys was fired because MC wanted to bring in PJF, had it in the works all along, and because he wasn't cut out to be a head coach. Now you are saying it was because TC was dishonest and unethical (as if MC would consider that bad)? Wait, none of this is why MC said he fired TC? I'm really confused.

I think most of that is true. Unethical? Maybe not as much. Yeah I think Claeys was a poor leader on and off the field. He was dishonest when he said he was on board with the suspensions (he had no choice, neither did Coyle) and then privately and publicly spoke out against them. Not speaking out against your bosses, regardless if you disagree, is one of the first things you learn at your first job unless your asking to get fired. Maybe Claeys knew the writing was on the wall, as Sawvel alluded to in the interview. Still, he handled the situation like someone that is in way over their head would.

I think most of that is true. Unethical? Maybe not as much. Yeah I think Claeys was a poor leader on and off the field. He was dishonest when he said he was on board with the suspensions (he had no choice, neither did Coyle) and then privately and publicly spoke out against them. Not speaking out against your bosses, regardless if you disagree, is one of the first things you learn at your first job unless your asking to get fired. Maybe Claeys knew the writing was on the wall, as Sawvel alluded to in the interview. Still, Coyle handled the situation like someone that is in way over their head would.

Fixed it. He hired Fleck -yes. Who wouldn't have? 3.5 Million (from Big Ten tv money not available in the past) reasons for Fleck to pick us and his other option was Purdue. He kept Pitino - yes. His buyout was still what 5-7 million? Pitino did rebound from a historic season and justified his continued employment, for now. He stopped the donation hike -yes. Who wouldn't have after it caused a massive crash in season tix?

None of the above required any particular skill or wisdom. There are literally thousands of individuals in the twin cities area alone that could have done the same. OTOH not everyone fails miserably during a crisis.

Your opinion. Many people in the public think it was handled well.

Sure - anyone that only reads headlines. Literally zero people that know the details of that crisis should think so.

Fixed it. He hired Fleck -yes. Who wouldn't have? 3.5 Million (from Big Ten tv money not available in the past) reasons for Fleck to pick us and his other option was Purdue. He kept Pitino - yes. His buyout was still what 5-7 million? Pitino did rebound from a historic season and justified his continued employment, for now. He stopped the donation hike -yes. Who wouldn't have after it caused a massive crash in season tix?

None of the above required any particular skill or wisdom. There are literally thousands of individuals in the twin cities area alone that could have done the same. OTOH not everyone fails miserably during a crisis.

Yeah it's been so easy for AD's to hire their top choices for coaches at Minnesota. Just a year ago most of the people on here wanted Pitino fired. Kaler rolled the bus over Pitino at Coyle's opening press conference far more than Coyle did to Claeys when he fired him. I'm sure it was real easy for Coyle to repair that relationship. I'm sure anyone can just do those things, especially at a place that hasn't won anything in 50 years. So easy!

The 'crisis' started due to Claeys lack of leadership and control over the actions of his players. It was also caused by the EOAA's joke of a 'process' which Coyle had nothing to do with. It was then even further magnified by Claeys lack of leadership in going against his bosses wishes. In the end, even according to Sawvel, the players that deserved to be punished were punished and the players that deserved to be cleared were cleared. While that was happening, Coyle did his job and hired someone who can handle all aspects of leading a football program. Not just X's and O's on defense.

Top Bottom