GH Podcast: Jay Sawvel on controversial end to a Gopher football era (ep. 26)

In case Spoofin and GFBFan don't think they're in the far minority:
http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?77010-Coyle-I-need-to-know/page2

Regarding the poll, of the 48 % that voted "neutral" on Coyle, and I am one of them... a very solid percentage of us likely voted neutral, and not more favorably, due to the way the firing, infamous presser, and (lack of) communication during the "scandal" fallout were handled, but are hoping for the best moving forward with the new coaching staff.

We have now gotten over the coaching change, but do not like the BS verbiage used to explaining the reasoning for it. Our neutrality can be swung in his favor if he mans up and truly runs the show with transparency, and is a visible face of the programs during both the good, and bad from here forward.

The true majority are firmly still on the fence on Coyle, but are supportive of what we do have.

We liked what we had. We like what we have. But due to Coyles' past behavior, are reserving our rights on him.

In case Spoofin and GFBFan don't think they're in the far minority:
http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?77010-Coyle-I-need-to-know/page2

I hate to spoil your party, but this poll was on how folks rate MC since he came here and not on how those folks feel MC handled the scandal. I know facts and details are unimportant to you, but this poll is only mildly more relevant to the argument than one on whether we think Coyle wears boxers or briefs. Several of the voters even took the time to post commentary that they were voting neutral <I>despite</I> Coyle's (negative) handling of everything regarding the scandal up to (and thru) the firing. Which, of course, is the rub here in that it is THAT handling of everything regarding the scandal up to (and thru) the firing that GWG and I were discussing. Facts and details JB - facts and details. If you think the majority of informed people believe MC handled that situation correctly then you are sadly mistaken - unless of course you want to link a relevant thread instead of the one you posted. But, you knew all that - facts and details have never been your priority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The point that I was trying to make is that Coyle is not the only one to take some blame. Claeys and Sawvel also have their share of Fk ups.
Everyone needs to move on. The new AD wanted his own football coach, period. It had nothing to do with the assault, that just muddied up the process. It is not fare to hold a grudge against PJ, or the U, because you don't agree with the outcome. If you are a true fan, you need to stop rehashing and bitching about the coaching change and get behind your team!
Oh, and I wish Sawvel the best of luck, he is a very good coach.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Coyle handled the firing as poorly as possible even though it was the right decision to be made. I never wanted Claeys as our head coach even after the Holiday bowl(I don't put a ton of stock in bowl games) so I was and remain thrilled with the decision to fire him. That said, I was very disappointed with the way Coyle went about everything considering he's an experienced AD. It made you wonder who we hired as our leader of athletics.

The point that I was trying to make is that Coyle is not the only one to take some blame. Claeys and Sawvel also have their share of Fk ups.
Everyone needs to move on. The new AD wanted his own football coach, period. It had nothing to do with the assault, that just muddied up the process. It is not fare to hold a grudge against PJ, or the U, because you don't agree with the outcome. If you are a true fan, you need to stop rehashing and bitching about the coaching change and get behind your team!
Oh, and I wish Sawvel the best of luck, he is a very good coach.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree. PJ had nothing to do with that. The U is not the administration. If I've been reading with comprehension a high majority of the venom has been directed at Coyle and the folks attempting to rewrite history. This too shall pass, but facts will be protected. Virtually every fan is thrilled we have a promising young coach that has elevated our recruiting profile and has energized the diehards.

Every single person on here, other than Iowa fans and Wisconsin fans (Like Tru dat) is excited to kick off the Fleck era in a little over a month. Some of us have higher hopes than others for Year 1...but Fleck has at minimum 4 years to install his vision (barring off the field catastrophe). Let's go!

I agree. PJ had nothing to do with that. The U is not the administration. If I've been reading with comprehension a high majority of the venom has been directed at Coyle and the folks attempting to rewrite history. This too shall pass, but facts will be protected. Virtually every fan is thrilled we have a promising young coach that has elevated our recruiting profile and has energized the diehards.

Every single person on here, other than Iowa fans and Wisconsin fans (Like Tru dat) is excited to kick off the Fleck era in a little over a month. Some of us have higher hopes than others for Year 1...but Fleck has at minimum 4 years to install his vision (barring off the field catastrophe). Let's go!

^^^ +

You got everything exactly right except your comment about the EOAA investigation. The investigation was mandated by Title IX and the U had no authority to prevent it. My guess is that it was probably as thorough an investigation as any college or university has ever produced. The investigators interviewed far more witnesses and produced significantly more evidence than the Minneapolis police department and the Hennepin County attorney's office put together. Of course, most GopherHolers wouldn't know that because they have never given the EOAA report anything more than a cursory look. The critics decided it was biased and unfair before they even clicked on the link. Their own bias and hypocrisy is laughable.

If this were true the additional 5 would never have been charged.

If this were true the additional 5 would never have been charged.

Cruze is clearly a bit. No person could be that blind. Best to just ignore.

Top Bottom