NEB picks starting QB - Tanner Lee

How about none of the above? Rhoda hasn't proven he will consistently make bad decisions as thoroughly as Tanner Lee so there's hope he can be a good game manger. I have some moderate concerns based on what we've seen, and his seeming distaste for keepers but he's new. Maybe they're saving the keepers up for Big Ten play...in seriousness they possibly did tell him not to run. If he gets dinged we're really up Schiitts's Creek.

Tanner Lee is tall, he has a strong arm, he can be accurate. He's also proven at all levels he's just not a great QB. Turnovers trump his other attributes, all day long. Neb had an excellent runner in Tre Bryant (another almost- Gopher) and when he went down there was a drop off. They have quality skill players but they don't scare me nearly as much as Wisconsin or even Iowa at this point. Our D is tailor made to make Lee's life miserable. He's a statue like Falk without all of his arm talent. I'm sure Neb would prefer to have run the ball more in their first 3 games but they've been in dogfights or coming from behind in every game.

Who the hell uses yards when talking about run/pass ratio? The answer is no one other than you.

Well, you technically got me there, congrats. The larger point is that the offense is actually pretty balanced in production. Like Fleck said, taking what is being given.

Read the line right before the one you bolded...

Ok - fair-enough. I did not think you were saying the 55/45 run/pass ratio was actually a 55/45 rushing yards/passing yards ratio. That being the case, though, I then find it odd that this is what you expected given Fleck's track record. He never had a WMU team that ran for more yards than it passed for.

I'm with you on the "Tanner Lee is awful" take, though.

Ok - fair-enough. I did not think you were saying the 55/45 run/pass ratio was actually a 55/45 rushing yards/passing yards ratio. That being the case, though, I then find it odd that this is what you expected given Fleck's track record. He never had a WMU team that ran for more yards than it passed for.

I'm with you on the "Tanner Lee is awful" take, though.

I'm thinking it will move more in that direction as the season goes on and the playbook opens up a bit more. Yesterday was another pretty vanilla day on offense. Did not expect it would be like how he ran it at WMU right out of the gate. Always figured it would be run first, and Fleck has said as much. The scheme certainly allows for the run to be more dominant.

How about none of the above? Rhoda hasn't proven he will consistently make bad decisions as thoroughly as Tanner Lee so there's hope he can be a good game manger. I have some moderate concerns based on what we've seen, and his seeming distaste for keepers but he's new. Maybe they're saving the keepers up for Big Ten play...in seriousness they possibly did tell him not to run. If he gets dinged we're really up Schiitts's Creek.

This is something I've seriously been wondering all the way back to the Buffalo game. This wouldn't surprise me at all.

As far as Rhoda vs Lee, talent aside, perhaps one is a much better leader at this point than the other? Also, through this point in the season, I wonder which QB has more on their own team that is doubting them right about now?

This is something I've seriously been wondering all the way back to the Buffalo game. This wouldn't surprise me at all.

As far as Rhoda vs Lee, talent aside, perhaps one is a much better leader at this point than the other? Also, through this point in the season, I wonder which QB has more on their own team that is doubting them right about now?

I'm glad Coach Fleck has opened up the philosophical can of worms regarding the physical existence of momentum (hint - it's a fabricated concept), because I think the term "leader" is equally as meaningless. Talented players are good leaders...there's nothing you can do as an athlete to determine the outcome of a game outside of your athletic results on the field. Quarterbacks are artificially assigned 'leadership' roles because they often have to delegate responsibility within an offense (and to create 'cover' for the head coaches decision/job stability)...but it's really all talent. Sports come down to being bigger, faster, and stronger than the opposition - the rest is just fluff that us average folks like to debate.

I'm glad Coach Fleck has opened up the philosophical can of worms regarding the physical existence of momentum (hint - it's a fabricated concept), because I think the term "leader" is equally as meaningless. Talented players are good leaders...there's nothing you can do as an athlete to determine the outcome of a game outside of your athletic results on the field. Quarterbacks are artificially assigned 'leadership' roles because they often have to delegate responsibility within an offense (and to create 'cover' for the head coaches decision/job stability)...but it's really all talent. <b>Sports come down to being bigger, faster, and stronger than the opposition - the rest is just fluff that us average folks like to debate</b>.

Except for bulletin board material. That is real and has an effect on the outcome of many games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6-16 & 2 INTs so far today. Makes 9 INTs in last 2 1/2 games.

I won't say much cause if I do, he'll take the Gophers for 450 and 5 TDs

I'm glad Coach Fleck has opened up the philosophical can of worms regarding the physical existence of momentum (hint - it's a fabricated concept), because I think the term "leader" is equally as meaningless. Talented players are good leaders...there's nothing you can do as an athlete to determine the outcome of a game outside of your athletic results on the field. Quarterbacks are artificially assigned 'leadership' roles because they often have to delegate responsibility within an offense (and to create 'cover' for the head coaches decision/job stability)...but it's really all talent. Sports come down to being bigger, faster, and stronger than the opposition - the rest is just fluff that us average folks like to debate.

Tom Brady fits bigger, stronger, faster?

Tom Brady fits bigger, stronger, faster?

You got a point but if Brady was 6'0, 180 pounds rather than 6'4" 225,everything else being equal, he wouldn't ever have gotten a shot in the first place.

There's actually far more data supporting he will fail than data supporting Croft will fail. You're looking at this all wrong. We don't have enough data to draw any conclusions on Croft.

BTW, I didn't realize Tanner Lee's spring game performance was with the red team (first team) vs the white team (2nd and third teamers).

This is going to be another fun subplot to the season.

Past performance is pretty clear. There's a reason why he ended up at Tulane.

It's amazing logic how those who hammered on ML's performance, and see replacing him for Gophs as a huge concern, think Lee as starter is not a huge concern for NEB.

At least we can come back and put this ridiculous argument to bed. Tanner Lee would be a significant upgrade over any QB on our roster. It's not close, and it's not surprising.

At least we can come back and put this ridiculous argument to bed. Tanner Lee would be a significant upgrade over any QB on our roster. It's not close, and it's not surprising.

Not a single post on this thread in 5-weeks. Wasn't it already put to bed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're judging our QB after the equivalent of ~3 games. How did Tanner Lee look after his first 2-3 starts this year? Yeah, thought so. How did he look after his first two years at Tulane? Do his receivers catch?

Tanner going pro soon?

Clearly I've gotten under your skin - very good.

You're judging our QB after the equivalent of ~3 games. How did Tanner Lee look after his first 2-3 starts this year? Yeah, thought so. How did he look after his first two years at Tulane? Do his receivers catch?

Tanner going pro soon?

Clearly I've gotten under your skin - very good.

No, you’re just wrong again. Lee will get drafted and it’ll probably be after this season if Riley is fired.

No, you’re just wrong again. Lee will get drafted and it’ll probably be after this season if Riley is fired.

Ok, I guess we'll eagerly await the draft. Thus far I don't see him rated anywhere as going in the first rounds...or any round. If he decides to come out early it would be a bold move. That said, I've always said players and particularly QBs can get better.

Which brings us to an interesting conundrum. If Tanner Lee was a player nobody wanted out of high school, played at a mediocre level at Tulane, and is currently playing at a mediocre level at Nebraska (but Mike Riley saw Some skills) then why are you knocking down PJs QB of choice this season? Sure he's stunk it up, but he certainly doesn't have the talent around him Lee does. He's also started far fewer games. Is it possible he could get better? Particularly with better skill players?

Hmmm

Ok, I guess we'll eagerly await the draft. Thus far I don't see him rated anywhere as going in the first rounds...or any round. If he decides to come out early it would be a bold move. That said, I've always said players and particularly QBs can get better.

Which brings us to an interesting conundrum. If Tanner Lee was a player nobody wanted out of high school, played at a mediocre level at Tulane, and is currently playing at a mediocre level at Nebraska (but Mike Riley saw Some skills) then why are you knocking down PJs QB of choice this season? Sure he's stunk it up, but he certainly doesn't have the talent around him Lee does. He's also started far fewer games. Is it possible he could get better? Particularly with better skill players?

Hmmm

Yet I made that argument on page 3 of this thread and it did not appear to matter to you or several other posters. Could Croft be better with better weapons? Sure. But all you have to do is watch 1 quarter of Nebraska football to know Lee is significantly more talented than Croft, and has all the tools to be a NFL QB. That's why he was able to transfer from Tulane to Nebraska.

Yet I made that argument on page 3 of this thread and it did not appear to matter to you or several other posters. Could Croft be better with better weapons? Sure. But all you have to do is watch 1 quarter of Nebraska football to know Lee is significantly more talented than Croft, and has all the tools to be a NFL QB. That's why he was able to transfer from Tulane to Nebraska.

Take a break. I don't even know what you're arguing at this point. He's certainly improved at not turning the ball over since his disastrous start. Will he be drafted? I don't know. Will he finish the season strong? Again, no idea. So I'm clear, you're asserting he'll come out early which usually means he's graded in the first couple rounds?

If it were up to me I'd take someone like Justice Hansen before Lee; playing on the same field earlier this season he was the better and more skilled player with both the pass and the run. Too bad his WRs let him down or they would have won that game. Former high star recruit at Oklahoma - you'd like him.

Tanner lee is improving and will give the Gophers a lot of trouble. Didn't realize he was only a junior. If Frost is hired, he may hang around (the Omaha World-Herald devoted three full pages to Scott Frost today).

Top Bottom