NEB picks starting QB - Tanner Lee

whew...thank goodness...practice starts in 10 days.

Thinking more like Houston, Louisville, Boise State, No.Ill, etc. You know, the G5 teams...there's quite a few.

All teams that currently have more players in the NFL than the Gophers except for Northern Illinois?

Louisville has only spent 1 of the last 13 years in a non power conference. Comparing P5 teams to G5 teams is idiodic anyways.

There's a very strong correlation to NFL talent and wins. I've posted it here before. Arguing against it just means that once again you are clueless when it comes to interpreting statistics.

Can you think of a more objective measure of talent on a roster?

By your logic a team with 2 NFL Draftees and me as their third best player is more talented than a team with only 1 NFL draftee even if they had 20-30 other very good players (on special teams too). It is simply a flawed measure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We will see how good this guy is in the cold weather games of November. Coming from Louisiana I have my doubts.

Depends what sideline he is on.

By your logic a team with 2 NFL Draftees and me as their third best player is more talented than a team with only 1 NFL draftee even if they had 20-30 other very good players (on special teams too). It is simply a flawed measure.

Except that's a situation that would thankfully never happen.

Haha, you beat me to it. Furthermore, the teams that do win 10 games and have zero draft picks... probably about to have another nice season.

Exactly. Draft-able seniors is not a good measure of a team, their success or talent on the team.

Here's my admittedly tongue-in-cheek scenario.

Gopher go 8-5 next season - 7-5 in regular season, and win a bowl game. But, if they don't have any players chosen in the NFL draft, then the record is revised to 8*-5. yes, you get an asterisk if no one is drafted.

Seriously, I have to think that some NFL team is going to draft Richardson. After that, there are a lot of maybes - guys who, if they stay healthy, have a good season, test well at the combine, or have a good pro day, could sneak into a late-round draft choice. That list includes McGhee, Lingen, Celestin, Poock, Santoso, and even Wozniak, just on measurables. Out of that list, I would think that at least 1 or 2 will wind up at least as a 7th-round choice.

Gopher go 8-5 next season - 7-5 in regular season, and win a bowl game. But, if they don't have any players chosen in the NFL draft, then the record is revised to 8*-5. yes, you get an asterisk if no one is drafted.

Seriously, I have to think that some NFL team is going to draft Richardson. After that, there are a lot of maybes - guys who, if they stay healthy, have a good season, test well at the combine, or have a good pro day, could sneak into a late-round draft choice. That list includes McGhee, Lingen, Celestin, Poock, Santoso, and even Wozniak, just on measurables. Out of that list, I would think that at least 1 or 2 will wind up at least as a 7th-round choice.

No way on Woz. The others could have a special season and get a look in my rose colored world, but even from the back of my unicorn I can see that Woz is not fast/quick enough to play at the next level.

To get this back on track:

I just spent the weekend in Lincoln and was talking to some people I know down there, including a former player.

To a man, they said (and I'm not joking) that their biggest concern is that Tanner Lee heads to the draft after this year. 1 of the big reasons was that he was invited to the Manning camp. And they "heard" that he outperformed "that Groff [sic] guy that was drafted this year".

I just spent the weekend in Lincoln and was talking to some people I know down there, including a former player.

To a man, they said (and I'm not joking) that their biggest concern is that Tanner Lee heads to the draft after this year. 1 of the big reasons was that he was invited to the Manning camp. And they "heard" that he outperformed "that Groff [sic] guy that was drafted this year".

That the kind of blatant homerism is ELITE and we need to get to that level. I'm working on it. I convinced myself that every pound lost by a kid on our roster is making them lean mean machines and that every pound gained was road grading badger crushing muscle.

Tulane allowed 25 sacks per game in 2014 and 26 in 2015. That's 60th and 59th in FBS or nearly perfectly average. I'm not sure how to reconcile that with your statement. Looks like he threw around 30 passes a game. He must have been hurt a few times as he missed some games both years. He played in 9 games in 2014 (started game 1) and 10 in 2015.

Maybe he was playing, hurt playing scared, whatever. Like I said, I'll believe it when I see it vs live bullets.

That's a lot of times to be sacked in a game. That's 300 times in a season. It's a wonder he's still alive. I guess Nebraska wants a vegetable at QB.

That's a lot of times to be sacked in a game. That's 300 times in a season. It's a wonder he's still alive. I guess Nebraska wants a vegetable at QB.

Good catch - mea culpa. That line really was atrocious...

That is outstanding. Even by my standards I'm excited for this year to kick off.

What's your metric?

If only there was some metric to measure how talented a team is. Maybe if there was one they could also use it to determine the order of finish for a division.

If only there was some metric to measure how talented a team is. Maybe if there was one they could also use it to determine the order of finish for a division.

Ooh, I know this one

Time to go back and read...

So we have more talent than Texas, Notre Dame, LSU and Auburn? Right.....

I don't know about this year, but if the Gophers played Texas and Notre Dame last year I'm confident they would've won. Would we still need to argue about who had more talent?

Donnell Greene could be the most likely drafted after Richardson and Lingen.

Calhoun and Wright could surprise. Maybe Weyler.

The new S and C and the new oline coaches and the new offense could really help the stock of the big hogs. Fleck and Kirk and Callahan put a couple of oline guys in NFL from WMU recently. Warinner on first name basis with many NFL oline Scouts I am sure.

Brooks and/or Smith could be drafted. McCrary is also a talented kid.

Carpenter more likely than Santoso?

The big leap may come from Merrick Jackson under new S and C and new coach...he has the measureables...I wouldn't sleep on Stelter either. Paup has put less highly regarded talents into the NFL from Northern Iowa.

Still might have a monster year under Kirk C/Simon/Fleck and go early.

Cashman plays like he did at end of year and soaks in knowledge from Robb Smith (who has put tons of LBs in the NFL and coached LBs in the NFL) he also may only Row the Boat for a year.

This is a huge advantage for Nebraska to have a seasoned guy even if it's his first year there.

We'll be going with someone brand new who barely played.
Definitely a risk when it comes to winning early season games.

Which one you prefer now?

Reading the saturation coverage of Husker football in these parts, my guess is Lee improves as the season goes on and, overall, does better than either of our QBs, and Nebraska does better by at least a game or two than we do. For them, the first big test will be a huge one - Wisconsin in early October; for us, Maryland, a week earlier.

Reading the saturation coverage of Husker football in these parts, my guess is Lee improves as the season goes on and, overall, does better than either of our QBs, and Nebraska does better by at least a game or two than we do. For them, the first big test will be a huge one - Wisconsin in early October; for us, Maryland, a week earlier.

His performance thus far is mirroring his time at Tulane. What would cause you to guess he improves as the year progresses?

His performance thus far is mirroring his time at Tulane. What would cause you to guess he improves as the year progresses?

Cuz Mitch got better his senior year- er- never mind[emoji6]

After seeing how pedestrian the Nebraska defense has been in the early going no wonder Lee looked like a first round pick during their scrimmages.

That Arky State kid Justice outshone him playing on the road with lesser talent surrounding; really impressive.

Aaaah, I don't think they need to worry about that anymore...

Top Bottom