NEB picks starting QB - Tanner Lee

Nebraska has asked Lee to do a lot. He's thrown more than 30 passes in each game, and more than 40 in 2.

Rhoda has been solid and played within the confines of what we've asked him to do. He's been solid but nothing special. I doubt his numbers would be significantly better than Lee if he was asked to drop back 30+ times per game.

Yeah...I think the concerns about Lee leaving the early were put to bed today.

Nebraska has asked Lee to do a lot. He's thrown more than 30 passes in each game, and more than 40 in 2.

Rhoda has been solid and played within the confines of what we've asked him to do. He's been solid but nothing special. I doubt his numbers would be significantly better than Lee if he was asked to drop back 30+ times per game.

Exactly. Lee threw the ball more today than Rhoda has the entire season. Lee is still a better QB than Rhoda.

The Gophers are a better coached team and have a better defense than Nebraska. The Gophers rely less on the QB than Nebraska and that's the difference.

So you are arguing that Rhoda is no better than Lee? With who? Lee has struggled, but I'm guessing most/all of us would take him over Rhoda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder how well James Johannesson would be doing this year if he was still a Gopher? Or Jamel Harbison? Or Andre McDonald? How many sacks would Gaelin Elmore have? How much better would the line be with Connor Mayes? It's a useless exercise to speculate...

The last staff, despite having limited depth and talent at QB, thought so much of Streveler that he started 1 game, completed 1 pass, and was moved to WR. I'm ready to move on...

So you are arguing that Rhoda is no better than Lee? With who? Lee has struggled, but I'm guessing most/all of us would take him over Rhoda.

I haven't watched a single Nebraska game this year so I don't have an opinion of Lee other than what shows up in the stats sheet. My point was that Rhoda would show more warts (i.e. interceptions, etc) if we were asking him to throw 40 times per game.

Exactly. Lee threw the ball more today than Rhoda has the entire season. Lee is still a better QB than Rhoda.

The Gophers are a better coached team and have a better defense than Nebraska. The Gophers rely less on the QB than Nebraska and that's the difference.

Ha....ha...ha, ha, ha...Ba hahahaha.

I haven't watched a single Nebraska game this year so I don't have an opinion of Lee other than what shows up in the stats sheet. My point was that Rhoda would show more warts (i.e. interceptions, etc) if we were asking him to throw 40 times per game.

He's exactly who I said he was. Look at the stats... he's trending worse than when he was at Tulane...even with all that better talent around him. Wow. Imagine that.

He's exactly who I said he was. Look at the stats... he's trending worse than when he was at Tulane...even with all that better talent around him. Wow. Imagine that.

I'd still take him in a heartbeat over Rhoda.

Classic we're arguing over which QB is worse. I've watched all the Nebby games so far out of morbid curiosity and he's basically Leidner minus the scrambling ability. Stares down receivers, throws into coverage, throws it up for grabs as he's being sacked. He holds the ball for an eternity. He has something like -100 rushing yards and a QBR in the low 30s. He does have a nice arm when he has time to set up but if he has any pressure on him, woof.

Maybe he gets better but it's not surprising Neb fans want to see their 4 star backup instead of the Tulane Telegrapher.

Exactly. You just have to watch one Nebraska game to realize that Lee is far more talented than Rhoda.

The difference is Nebraska's offense revolves around Lee. The Gophers offense revolves around limiting Rhoda's mistakes. The difference is coaching.

Honestly, he should have another 5-6 easy picks except for DB hands. An INT rate over 5% is not good. We better pray Rhoda makes better decisions.

Exactly. You just have to watch one Nebraska game to realize that Lee is far more talented than Rhoda.

The difference is Nebraska's offense revolves around Lee. The Gophers offense revolves around limiting Rhoda's mistakes. The difference is coaching.

Um, he was being sarcastic...

Classic we're arguing over which QB is worse. I've watched all the Nebby games so far out of morbid curiosity and he's basically Leidner minus the scrambling ability. Stares down receivers, throws into coverage, throws it up for grabs as he's being sacked. He holds the ball for an eternity. He has something like -100 rushing yards and a QBR in the low 30s. He does have a nice arm when he has time to set up but if he has any pressure on him, woof.

Maybe he gets better but it's not surprising Neb fans want to see their 4 star backup instead of the Tulane Telegrapher.

I've been saying for months that he is ML without the ability to run...at all.

You need to switch to a smaller shovel...

Um, he was being sarcastic...

Didn't appear so. Tanner Lee has led Nebraska on 11 TD drives this year. Connor Rhoda has 8. And on two of those drives Rhoda never threw a pass. Nebraska has also played Oregon who is far better than anyone the Gophers have played.

I'll give you credit, you stick with your delusional takes even though you're proven wrong time and again. The sad thing is the only person who doesn't realize how wrong you are, is yourself.

And yeah, Nebraska still has far more talent on offense than the Gophers.

Difference is Lee was brought in to be a drop back passer in Riley's prototypical offensive scheme. Rhodes never had those expectations placed upon him.

More physical talent doesn't equal better QB. Rhoda doesn't give up turnovers-Lee gives them away like candy canes. Love to have a 5star guy at QB- but nothing in his portfolio makes me wish he was on our campus

Difference is Lee was brought in to be a drop back passer in Riley's prototypical offensive scheme. Rhodes never had those expectations placed upon him.

It sounds like you're agreeing with me...

Lee isn't a college D1 Quarterback.

More physical talent doesn't equal better QB. Rhoda doesn't give up turnovers-Lee gives them away like candy canes. Love to have a 5star guy at QB- but nothing in his portfolio makes me wish he was on our campus

Understand, I'm not saying Lee is a star or that he hasn't struggled. If someone asked me if I would rather hang out with Mark Coyle or Satan, my answer wouldn't mean I was a fan of Satan. If forced to choose, I would take Lee, no doubt. He at least has capabilities that don't require you to run a game plan at an 80+\20- ratio and I think that would be helpful in B1G games.

Understand, I'm not saying Lee is a star or that he hasn't struggled. If someone asked me if I would rather hang out with Mark Coyle or Satan, my answer wouldn't mean I was a fan of Satan. If forced to choose, I would take Lee, no doubt. He at least has capabilities that don't require you to run a game plan at an 80+\20- ratio and I think that would be helpful in B1G games.

Nice analogy, although now I'm wonder who I would pick...and it's a lot closer than it should be

Wow, either you really are serious or this is some sort of long-term bit you are working on. What team has an 80/20 ratio?

Assuming you are talking yards. The Gopher team I've watched for 3 games this year has a 55/45 run to pass ratio. Sounds about right for Fleck's run-first, ball control offense. NEB has a 65/35 pass to run ratio. Lee has a 50% completion rate in the last two games and has thrown 7 picks, 2 were pick-6.

Wow, either you really are serious or this is some sort of long-term bit you are working on. What team has an 80/20 ratio?

Assuming you are talking yards. The Gopher team I've watched for 3 games this year has a 55/45 run to pass ratio. Sounds about right for Fleck's run-first, ball control offense. NEB has a 65/35 pass to run ratio. Lee has a 50% completion rate in the last two games and has thrown 7 picks, 2 were pick-6.

80/20 was a bit of an exaggeration (actual play ratio currently at 73/27), but if you think this staff has any confidence in letting CR15 opening things up - you are fooling yourself.

MTSU - 47r/18p = 72/28
OSU - 58r/8p = 91/9
Buff - 51r/32p = 61/39
Overall - 156r/58p = 73/27

I get you don't like Lee - I'm happy for you.
I get you think Rhoda is better than he is - I'm happy for you.
I don't think Lee has played very well, but if asked to choose between him and Rhoda, I would choose Lee. Feel free to disagree, but not sure why you seem to take that so personal? Did Lee kick your dog?

80/20 was a bit of an exaggeration (actual play ratio currently at 73/27), but if you think this staff has any confidence in letting CR15 opening things up - you are fooling yourself.

MTSU - 47r/18p = 72/28
OSU - 58r/8p = 91/9
Buff - 51r/32p = 61/39
Overall - 156r/58p = 73/27

I get you don't like Lee - I'm happy for you.
I get you think Rhoda is better than he is - I'm happy for you.
I don't think Lee has played very well, but if asked to choose between him and Rhoda, I would choose Lee. Feel free to disagree, but not sure why you seem to take that so personal? Did Lee kick your dog?

I get you are bummed he beat out Croft. I've said all along that the Gophs need only to have a decent passing threat and game manager at QB...might have meant 2 more wins last year. Rhoda gives them that. Fleck will continue to open up the offense as needed.

Nothing personal with Lee...just think it is weird that preseason, a handful (4-5) posters thought Lee would become something he's never shown to be the case. Those posters used that rationale to argue that NEB was in a much better position replacing its QB performance (Armstrong) than Gophs replacing their's (ML). He's an immobile 50% passer who throws as many TDs as INTs.

Still is the same kind of example...looks the part in every way (or looked) but was never able to show it on the field. I'll take a WR who can do what's needed, given the situation, to move the offense than one who looks the part.

I get you are bummed he beat out Croft. I've said all along that the Gophs need only to have a decent passing threat and game manager at QB...might have meant 2 more wins last year. Rhoda gives them that. Fleck will continue to open up the offense as needed.

Nothing personal with Lee...just think it is weird that preseason, a handful (4-5) posters thought Lee would become something he's never shown to be the case. Those posters used that rationale to argue that NEB was in a much better position replacing its QB performance (Armstrong) than Gophs replacing their's (ML). He's an immobile 50% passer who throws as many TDs as INTs.

Still is the same kind of example...looks the part in every way (or looked) but was never able to show it on the field. I'll take a WR who can do what's needed, given the situation, to move the offense than one who looks the part.

Nothing in the above post is outrageous. It is all logical and makes sense. However, folks need look no further then this and the other active threads today to see that you feel a need to defend any possible slight against CR15. This has been the case all year and I recall this being the case last season as well. I guess that is fine, but it would be nice for you to acknowledge your bias and/or personal relationship with the Rhoda family that drives that.

Yes, I preferred and still prefer Croft to Rhoda. Not that I feel he has shown anything all that impressive either. I think he gives our offense more possibilities, but most of all I would feel better about 2018 and 2019 if Demry was able to beat out Rhoda (fair and square). The fact he didn't gives me grave concerns about the immediate future (pretending for a moment I don't want the team to fail).

Let's all just stop for a moment and marvel at how incorrect this is. Unless, of course, you are talking about some other Gopher team that I'm not aware of. In which case, I apologize.

You don't think Lee can become something he hasn't shown yet you think Rhoda will? It's obvious Fleck has little confidence in Rhoda, and is limiting his mistakes the same way Claeys did with Rhoda last year, and the same way Kill did with Streveler previously.

The Gophers haven't played anyone yet, and Rhoda only had 70 yards passing until Woz's catch in the 4th quarter. He almost threw a couple of picks as well. What's going to happen when the Gophers need Rhoda to make a play with his arm? It might not be pretty.

Nebraska's offense is still better than the Gophers. Lee has proven his ability to move the ball up and down the field with his arm, but he makes mistakes. Outside of the same play that worked twice to TJ, Rhoda hasn't proven anything yet. Anyone who watches and understands QB play and college football can see that Lee is a much better QB than Rhoda.

Let's all just stop for a moment and marvel at how incorrect this is. Unless, of course, you are talking about some other Gopher team that I'm not aware of. In which case, I apologize.

I marvel everyday on how incorrect everything PMW posts. It's actually my favorite part of GH.

Read the line right before the one you bolded...

Top Bottom