NEB picks starting QB - Tanner Lee

He attended the Manning Passing Academy - impressive!

Those stats, woof. Low ypa, high INT ratio. And now he's going to be going against much better Big Ten defenses. I'll believe it when I see it.

Whenever coaches and scouts fall in love with a guy that hasn't been productive they seem to talk themselves into thinking they found the next Big Thing based on hairy asses, baseball bodies, hot girlfriends, or birthday party attendance. "If he's a good hitter how come he can't hit good?" Exactly.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pWgyy_rlmag" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He attended the Manning Passing Academy - impressive!

LOL. I still remember folks on here talking about that camp like it was going to change ML7! Some even ripped on Kill for asking him not to attend the year before so he could work out with his receivers instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess those stats are what get you on the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Watch List....

This has train wreck written all over it. The expectations are going to be so enormous; between the frenzied Nebraska fan base, the media bootlicking, and the huge jump in defensive athlete caliber he's about to face.

This has train wreck written all over it. The expectations are going to be so enormous; between the frenzied Nebraska fan base, the media bootlicking, and the huge jump in defensive athlete caliber he's about to face.

Any word on how the football jumps off the club face of his hockey stick?

LOL. I still remember folks on here talking about that camp like it was going to change ML7! Some even ripped on Kill for asking him not to attend the year before so he could work out with his receivers instead.

Do you suppose Leidner ever talks about that one time at Manning Camp? Wait, he went twice I believe.

Tanner Lee's actually a pretty good quarterback. My daughter went to Tulane, and while she was there I followed Tulane football pretty closely. Tanner's coach at Tulane was Curtis Johnson, who previous to that was the Saint's (as in the NFL) wide receiver coach. Yep, basically Tulane hired their own version of Brewster (they fired Johnson after a few years and now have an actual head coach again). Tulane didn't have an offensive line that could protect the QB, yet Curtis kept calling deep routes for passing plays. Tanner got absolutely pounded on basically every play. He's got a lot of playing experience, a good arm, and certainly seems to be able to take a hit and keep playing. I'm thinking he'll do all right at Nebraska. Guess we'll see...

At the very least this will be interesting to see if you can pull out not so great stats guy from another school and hit a homerun or not.

Well, another Tulane fan said he specializes in pick 6s so we'll have to let the season unfold to see how it goes.

Tanner Lee's actually a pretty good quarterback. My daughter went to Tulane, and while she was there I followed Tulane football pretty closely. Tanner's coach at Tulane was Curtis Johnson, who previous to that was the Saint's (as in the NFL) wide receiver coach. Yep, basically Tulane hired their own version of Brewster (they fired Johnson after a few years and now have an actual head coach again). Tulane didn't have an offensive line that could protect the QB, yet Curtis kept calling deep routes for passing plays. Tanner got absolutely pounded on basically every play. He's got a lot of playing experience, a good arm, and certainly seems to be able to take a hit and keep playing. I'm thinking he'll do all right at Nebraska. Guess we'll see...

Tulane has been bad for a long time, with recruiting classes consistently ranked 80th or worse. So if he's that good, it begs the question of why he ended up at Tulane.

Historically, first year starters at QB in Mike Riley's offense have been interception machines.
No reason to expect anything different with this guy. It is a NFL like system that requires several reads and extended route trees. The offense of the last two years was a bastardized version to utilize
Tommy Armstrongs legs. MR likes a tall statue at QB. If they start a couple years, the odds are they get a spot on a NFL roster. D Anderson, Matt Moore, and Sean Mannion are still playing, and Sean Canfield stuck for a couple years. The question is does MR survive long enough to have his own experienced guy running the show? I expect he won't.

Tanner Lee would have already been named the starter if he was on our roster. He has far more experience and far better stats than the QB we will send out against Buffalo.

Tulane allowed 25 sacks per game in 2014 and 26 in 2015. That's 60th and 59th in FBS or nearly perfectly average. I'm not sure how to reconcile that with your statement. Looks like he threw around 30 passes a game. He must have been hurt a few times as he missed some games both years. He played in 9 games in 2014 (started game 1) and 10 in 2015.

Maybe he was playing, hurt playing scared, whatever. Like I said, I'll believe it when I see it vs live bullets.

Tanner Lee would have already been named the starter if he was on our roster. He has far more experience and far better stats than the QB we will send out against Buffalo.

Is that saying much for Tanner though?

Will he be drafted?

Thanks for saving me a much longer and less efficient reply to the posters who know he will fail. I am a Goph fan and despise Nebraska, but any Goph fan who thinks we have anything but the biggest QB question in the B1G is self-delusional. Our guys have zero touchdowns or interceptions. Connor R won a game handing off against an over matched defense, and Croft looked like he never saw FB before as a freshman against NW. Riley is a good coach, he held the OSU program together and occasionally challenged for titles, a really touch job where football has had about as much support as it has had here, until the last 5-6 years.

Thanks for saving me a much longer and less efficient reply to the posters who know he will fail. I am a Goph fan and despise Nebraska, but any Goph fan who thinks we have anything but the biggest QB question in the B1G is self-delusional. Our guys have zero touchdowns or interceptions. Connor R won a game handing off against an over matched defense, and Croft looked like he never saw FB before as a freshman against NW. Riley is a good coach, he held the OSU program together and occasionally challenged for titles, a really touch job where football has had about as much support as it has had here, until the last 5-6 years.

Nobody has said we'll get great QB play this year. We're hopeful. The major difference here is Lee is being pumped as a first round pick before he's thrown a pass, and he has a lousy playing career to his credit. This is based on a spring game, underwear drills, and his ideal size.

This is a huge advantage for Nebraska to have a seasoned guy even if it's his first year there.

We'll be going with someone brand new who barely played.
Definitely a risk when it comes to winning early season games.

Nobody has said we'll get great QB play this year. We're hopeful. The major difference here is Lee is being pumped as a first round pick before he's thrown a pass, and he has a lousy playing career to his credit. This is based on a spring game, underwear drills, and his ideal size.

He's thrown 612 FBS passes on a bad team, and now gets to work with a lot more talent. I think I've seen one guy say he's a 1st round talent.

He's thrown 612 FBS passes on a bad team, and now gets to work with a lot more talent. I think I've seen one guy say he's a 1st round talent.

Todd McShay?

Your reading comprehension is terrible. How many posts above did I state he started 19 games and averaged around 30 passes a game. What is clear is he hasn't thrown a pass at the power 5 level. Every QB in college ball has thrown passes at a lower level of competition. It doesn't mean they're going to rock the Big Ten. In fact, his track record suggests just the opposite will occur in about 2 months.

More than one guy. Apparently the Nebraska staff is hot and bothered by his masculine build:

Holeeeeee ****.

I am as hopeful as the next Husker fan that Tanner Lee is the first coming of the NFL first-round draft pick that Nebraska has never had, but dear Lord can the guy play a down for the Huskers before he’s anointed an “elite NFL prospect”?

But wait, there’s more!

Lee is built for the next level. Already, Nebraska coaches have considered the possibility that he’ll be a one-and-done recruit — a player who transfers in, redshirts and then flourishes before hopping into the NFL, leaving an additional year of eligibility on the table. It’s a trade the staff will take, of course.
Maybe NFL quarterbacks are in that short supply.

Or maybe this is just a way for Paul Myerberg, author of that piece, to later say that he knew all along Lee would be “an elite NFL prospect”. Phil Steele makes a living off making predictions, knowing that if he makes a lot of them, he can remind you of the ones that are right and you’ll forget the rest.

This is a set up for failure. If you’re drinking the koolaid this heavily, you’re going to be looking for someone to blame if things don’t work out the way you want them. There’s already enough pressure at Nebraska without this kind of hype.

https://www.cornnation.com/2017/7/20/16002200/nebraska-tanner-lee-hype-vehicle-hits-light-speed

We will see how good this guy is in the cold weather games of November. Coming from Louisiana I have my doubts.

Top Bottom