Big Ten May revise FCS scheduling restrictions

West Fargo Gopher Fan

Section 114 Row 2
Reaction score
From FbSchedules:

The Big Ten may consider relaxing its recently-enacted policy against scheduling FCS opponents, The Forum reported Wednesday.

A Jeff Kolpack-penned piece (also referenced by CollegeFootballTalk.com) cites North Dakota State athletic director Matt Larsen, saying that Big Ten schools will be allowed to include an FCS opponent in years where a league school has four home contests. Larsen suggests in the piece that the changes will likely not be in place until 2020, at earliest.

The Big Ten ruling went into place two seasons ago, with the Bison’s contest against Iowa last year grandfathered, having been scheduled years prior. The league mentioned the need for stronger schedules to qualify teams for the College Football Playoff as an impetus for the change.

This story will be updated as events warrant. Big Ten Media Days will take place in Chicago next Monday and Tuesday.

http://www.fbschedules.com/2017/07/report-big-ten-may-revise-fcs-football-scheduling-restrictions/

Please no, it was a good change and should stay that way.

Each school sets their own schedule, no one is forced to play a D1-AA.

I wouldn't expect the Gophers to schedule area DI FCS teams, even though it would mean stronger teams and better gates. There's plenty of easier wins in the FBS G5.

I wouldn't expect the Gophers to schedule area DI FCS teams, even though it would mean stronger teams and better gates. There's plenty of easier wins in the FBS G5.

Geessh..:rolleyes:

What's funny is I think you actually believe this. Kinda cute. Kinda not. Just like your NDSU team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't like it.

I get the reasoning, money, but I don't like it.

What's funny is I think you actually believe this. Kinda cute. Kinda not. Just like your NDSU team.

Do I believe there are 20 teams in FBS football that would be easier wins for MN than playing the state Univerities to the west of MN? Yes, that's a safe bet.

Do I believe there are 20 teams in FBS football that would be easier wins for MN than playing the state Univerities to the west of MN? Yes, that's a safe bet.

And who is on the schedule in 2019 Mr. Herd?

It is absolutely embarrassing that we're going to pay New Mexico State $800,000 for a win next year, when we could have scheduled someone better for less money and drawn more fans.

It is absolutely embarrassing that we're going to pay New Mexico State $800,000 for a win next year, when we could have scheduled someone better for less money and drawn more fans.

Embarrassing? Just a little dramatic, aren't we?

Potentially, but it's not like beating NDSU would be considered a huge accomplishment. I wouldn't mind doing it, heck, I'd sign up on your board and troll you daily but eh, I have an actual life

Potentially, but it's not like beating NDSU would be considered a huge accomplishment. I wouldn't mind doing it, heck, I'd sign up on your board and troll you daily but eh, I have an actual life

It would be an accomplishment considering how Iowa went for you last year.

It would be an accomplishment considering how Iowa went for you last year.

The old we beat who beat you argument. I'm assuming any non common opponent that beat jack rabbit you think would beat ndsu

Enjoy being big fish in small pond. No one cares about fcs

I love that there are ndsu fans who think theyd win big ten

I have no doubt ndsu could pull 6-6 to 8-4 but any better than that and stars would have to align. But I would rather play ndsu,und,usd and sdsu then nmsu. Better competition and maybe would look better to a committee.

The bigger point is that 1-AA tomato cans don't belong on FB schedules of this conference.

You got me, the Rabbits are coming. That's a decent OOC with Fresno and Georgia So also. No gimmes on that schedule.

As opposed to gauntlet NDSU faces on weekly basis....

Then weak teams like nmsu don't belong either then.

At least they are playing at the same level. MLB teams don't play AAA teams and have it count on their record.

I am thinking the FCS relaxation comes from the fact that 1 way "buy" games are becoming more and more expensive, and schools want to use FCS teams as leverage to keep down the cost of WAC and MAC teams coming in to play.

Top Bottom