Proposed BT v SEC Football Challenge (MN v GA; Hypothermia vs. Hyperthermia)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Athlon:

Unfortunately for college football fans, teams from the Big Ten and SEC rarely face each other more than once in the regular season. Why should we have to wait until late December and early January to see these two conferences clash in bowl games?

In an effort to spice up the non-conference slates of both leagues, I propose the following matchups. As a bonus, I have suggested a slogan to promote the proposed two-year series.

Minnesota vs. Georgia
Promotional Slogan: Hypothermia vs. Hyperthermia
Series History: None
Minnesota vs. SEC: 4-2
Georgia vs. Big Ten: 10-4

College football fans with a sadistic streak would like to schedule this game in early August to see the Gophers melt in Athens. The following season, the Bulldogs would head to Minneapolis in late December to freeze. Fortunately for the players, the NCAA’s scheduling rules would prevent both daunting possibilities.

The Bulldogs have not headed north to face a Big Ten opponent since their trip to Ann Arbor in 1965. And they had made just two other such trips prior to that. Since then, Georgia has tangled with Big Ten foes11 times, all in bowls located in Florida.

Minnesota’s only excursions southward to square off against SEC opponents occurred in four bowl games. The Gophers did host Vanderbilt in 1959.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/proposed-big-ten-versus-sec-football-challenge

Go Gophers!!

SEC teams are fans of having non-conference games the 2nd to last week in the regular season.

I'm fine with a 2nd game of the year down in SEC Country for 2nd to last game of the year in Big Ten Country exchange.

I'm a fan of something like this being worked out. Teams know that their either home or away that particular season & schedule gets hammered out 6-7 months before the game.

If I remember right ages ago I think there was a B1G ... ACC football challenge that was in the works but later abandoned.... I want to say that was a thing.

Gophers melting in the Georgia heat despite seemingly half our roster from there

Night game at Louisiana-Lafayette in the early 2000s did not go so well as I recall. Lots of Gophers going down with heat-related cramps...not enough pickle juice.

I recall this because I was in Atlanta for a visit (Mom had cancer). Picked up an AM station with parents' car in the driveway and was able to listen to the whole thing. Station was at least 400 miles away.

I'm sure there were some Gopherholers who got to listen on 'CCO. No aggievision yet.

Night game at Louisiana-Lafayette in the early 2000s did not go so well as I recall. Lots of Gophers going down with heat-related cramps...not enough pickle juice.

I recall this because I was in Atlanta for a visit (Mom had cancer). Picked up an AM station with parents' car in the driveway and was able to listen to the whole thing. Station was at least 400 miles away.

I'm sure there were some Gopherholers who got to listen on 'CCO. No aggievision yet.

That was 2002 and also the first game after Brandon Hall was murdered downtown after the season opener. So the heat/humidity wasn't the only factor to consider in that performance.

Top Bottom