MN Daily: Joey King continues basketball career overseas

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Daily:

Former Gophers forward Joey King took his talents overseas last year, where he played with a Finnish professional basketball team.

Next season, King is overseas again, this time with a team in Belgium.

“As of now, I’ve got a contract over there,” King said. “I’m locked in for now. Obviously, I don’t know how long I’ll play … I have a lot going on over in the states.”

Going to Finland

King played with Kataja Basket Club, a professional basketball team in southeast Finland. He averaged 10.6 points per game last season where he played in every game of Kataja’s season. He averaged 32.0 minutes per game, the second most on the team.

“[King] is planning to do it again,” said Gophers head coach Richard Pitino. “To see how long he can possibly do it, to save your money and go tour the world.”

“Fortunately, when you play here, people know who you are and it opens up great opportunities,” Pitino said. “When you’re running a corporation [or] a business you want people like that who are team guys, and Joey was that.”

King shot 88.6 percent from the free-throw line in his senior year with the Gophers (2015-16) and led the team in 3-point shooting too. Pitino said King helped lay the foundation for what the team does well.

“He came here and he was probably that first guy that came to play for the name on the front of the jersey, not the back,” Pitino said. “He came on to do it that way, teaching those young guys.”

http://www.mndaily.com/article/2017/07/king-continues-basketball-career

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom