Orono PF Jarvis Thomas Commits to the Gophers

DanielHouse

Reaction score
In an announcement Tuesday evening, four-star Orono, Minn. power forward Jarvis Thomas committed to the Gophers. Thomas, a 6-foot-7, 225-pound big man, is the fifth ranked player in the state, according to 24/7 Sports. He averaged 15.8 points, 10.2 rebounds and 1.8 blocks during his junior season. Thomas recently played in the Nike EYBL circuit and has been gaining momentum in recruiting circles.

He chose the Gophers over offers from Marquette, Arizona State, Iowa State and others. Thomas is a very explosive player who is known for his strong dunks and putbacks around the rim. He plays with high energy and has a developing mid-range jumper. On the defensive end, he’s a skilled shot blocker and will pair nicely down low with fellow 2018 commit, Daniel Oturu. Thomas has yet to reach his full potential as a player and will continue to develop at the next level. He certainly provides Minnesota with an exciting, athletic playmaker in their front court. More importantly, the Gophers have now secured two of the top-five players in Minnesota for 2018.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1HfOM08HVWU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/skWVMaTlX5o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Welcome, Jarvis!!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Love the fact that he is only still 16! Lots of potential!

That's the key. He's got so much potential as a player. The sky is really the limit with all of the athleticism he brings to the table.

Love the fact that he is only still 16! Lots of potential!

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/7344552/58d0a7c8041d6c32bc0724c9' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

Football highlights

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/7344552/5828d065688ec515a8c1679c' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

Great news! Congratulations and welcome to the Gophers, Jarvis.

Great news. Come one Tre. Make it a Fab 3.

Marcus also tweeted that Tre and Gabe were both at the announcement to support JT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great addition to the team! Thanks for picking the Gophers Jarvis! Good job by Pitino and Co.

Nice get for the Gophers! I think that makes 2 more scholarships for this class still available. Would be awesome to get Tre and Gabe.

This is great to see! The program is turning the corner and could be in for a nice long run of solid Big Ten basketball. Win and recruit hard. Win some more. Nice get, another really good athlete with size.

Refreshing to see two local kids commit to the Gophers relatively early in regards to when they received their offers. I have to think the way Amir Coffey's Freshman season went (both in terms of success and fan reaction) has had a positive impact locally.

From the little I have seen of Jarvis, he seems like a kid who has a lot of potential. He moves well laterally in addition to his vertical and seems like a kid who will have a lot of versatility on the defensive end of the court.

Welcome aboard! This program thanks to Amir Coffey taking the first step of high end talent coming here! Tre and Gabe let's go!

I was really impressed with his defense. Quick hands.

Tre and/or Washington running the point with Oturu and Thomas will be amazing to watch. The big guys can defend and rebound like crazy. They can also run. Washington or Tre running the break with those big guys will be a thing of beauty!

Get ready for some fun times ahead boys.

Tre and/or Washington running the point with Oturu and Thomas will be amazing to watch. The big guys can defend and rebound like crazy. They can also run. Washington or Tre running the break with those big guys will be a thing of beauty!

Get ready for some fun times ahead boys.

Lol, you're jumping the gun so hard right here and I'm not even mad. Just having Washington/Coffey/Oturu/Thomas is exciting enough! If pigs decide to fly and Tre somehow ended up a Gopher, we might just lose our minds (and GH may crash).

Lol, you're jumping the gun so hard right here and I'm not even mad. Just having Washington/Coffey/Oturu/Thomas is exciting enough! If pigs decide to fly and Tre somehow ended up a Gopher, we might just lose our minds (and GH may crash).

Crash, GH...crash. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love it! Welcome aboard!!

Welcome aboard! This program thanks to Amir Coffey taking the first step of high end talent coming here! Tre and Gabe let's go!

^Agreed. The Coffey commitment was the key to turning the corner. Somebody has to take that first step to show other elite players it's going to happen here, and it was Coffey. A commitment from Tre or Matt Hurt would be the next step.

Things are definitely looking up!

per Marcus:

On Sunday, Thomas called coach Richard Pitino to become a member of the Gophers’ 2018 recruiting class, joining Howard Pulley AAU teammate Daniel Oturu, a 6-10 center from Cretin-Derham Hall.

“He was hyped,” Thomas said of their phone conversation. “He just kept saying, ‘I’m hyped. I’m hyped.’ He was just excited.”

Arguably the most explosive finisher in the state, Thomas proved in AAU play this summer that he was much more than just a spectacular dunker, improving his defense and rebounding.

That’s when a scholarship offer from the home-state program finally came this summer from Pitino.

Thomas went from one major conference scholarship offer last year to more than a half dozen this summer, including Wake Forest, Texas A&M, Iowa State and Pittsburgh. He’s the No. 138 player nationally in 2018 by Rivals.com and a four-star prospect by 247.com’s composite ranking.

“Physically and athletically he’s ready to be a Big Ten player,” Rivals.com analyst Eric Bossi said.

http://www.startribune.com/jarvis-t...r-picks-richard-pitino-and-gophers/435274253/

Go Gophers!!

per Jace:

Jarvis Thomas didn’t think he would end up with the Gophers, until he took his visit.

The four-star forward from Orono High School had seen Williams Arena, visiting for Gophers games, but his visit gave him a chance to tour the Gophers’ new Athletes Village, which is currently under construction but will be completed by the time the 2018 recruit gets on campus.

“It was kind of mind-blowing and kind of surreal,” he said. “I just could visualize myself being there … (with) all the other guys, just having a good time.”

Thomas was sold.

“It just felt right,” he said. “It’s kind of hard for it not to feel right when you’re at home.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/07/1...-jarvis-thomas-commits-to-gophers-basketball/

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

I don't recall seeing this posted - it's Jarvis' commitment video. Very well done:

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom